I bought an 8310 from another guy I ride bikes with. His carrier was ATT, I've been with ATT wireless since 1998 and have an ATT SIM card.

I've put in my SIM card, I've wiped the system 3 times, but I cannot seem to shake the option of having to log in. It's irritating, my wife's has an option for "disable" on the log in feature under options, firewall, disable... On my 8310, there is a little red lock there, I can barely see it with my reading glasses on? Also under Option, General Settings, Password, Enable, there is a little red lock there, and no "Disable" feature, despite reading this being there in the instructions?

I think this was an ATT employee's phone and they were on ATT's system and it's locked up, and though all I have for service is GSM and not EDGE, and I don't have any intention of accessing the internet, I'd like to get rid of the Blackberry IT lock that's on this.

Can I just take this in to ATT and get a new SIM card and just keep my grandfathered in terms without getting all the new wireless internet access junk, and also get rid of that goddamned lock out feature and having to log in just to make a call with a password?

It's irritating as h3ll. Does Blackberry ever think outside of the corporate IT manager world when they design this software, I mean WTF, it's frustrating as a mofo reading all I've had to to even try to get this thing to show me the "Disable"

Suggestions, before I pull the last of my hair out in frustration? I just want the software to have the option to have Password Disable in the menu.

Thanks. A 50 yr old non geek squad Blackberry Noobie.
    Last edited by buttnugget; 11-28-08 at 12:09 PM.
    11-27-08 10:46 PM
    From the sounds of it the phone was on BES (corporate) and the
    IT Policy was not removed prior to selling the phone to you.

Try following the steps in this thread. Kind of time consuming but
    I can assure you they work.

And yes RIM does think outside of the corporate world. That is why there
    is BES and BIS (personal) as well as newer devices aimed at the no business market.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/new-...-policy-34665/
    11-27-08 10:50 PM
    There's stuff in there that I don't even know what it is... Which version of 4.5 do I need to find for ATT 8310?

Sorry, I need baby steps, not hit the ground running. I've tried that, didn't seem to work.

Is there a step by step with pics or screen shots, I get nervous as **** fiddling around with registry files and changing or adding them... that was Pandora's box the last time I went in there and screwed things up.

And please, spell it out, no acronyms, they don't mean anything to a newbie that's not too PC or IT literate. Sorry, it needs to be dumbed down for me to understand.
    Last edited by buttnugget; 11-28-08 at 12:57 AM.
    11-27-08 11:09 PM
    OS 4.5

You still need to remove the IT Policy. It probably failed because
    you are still on 4.2

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/prop...ocedure-53359/

Do all 3 of these and you should be all set. I don't know where
    to find a pictorial tutorial.
    11-27-08 11:32 PM
    How do I do step 6. Delete the XML file?
    11-28-08 12:46 AM
    It is in the instructions but:

c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader
    The file is in there.
    11-28-08 01:01 AM
    Do exactly what it says. Go into your hard drive on your computer after you've installed the OS you downloaded and (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader) the Vendor file will be in there. You'll get the hang of it pretty fast. :O)
    11-28-08 01:03 AM
    Whew, got it... I had gone in to the registry and did an "add" of a string for \policy\bin from another post, which I have now deleted, and things seem to be uploading 4.5 now. The message "please contact your IT manager" has gone away also. I guess the previous ATT owner should have had the IT department get rid of this lock down and mandatory password crap, what a PITA.

To other Noobies... to delete that XML string in step 6.... copy and paste the line without the brackets. Go to the Start button on Windows XP in the lower left hand corner, right click on it, and go in to "Search". Paste this line in there,

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader

and do a search for the file. When it comes up, open up the file, and down at the bottom you should see a folder named "Vendor".

Right click on the "Vendor" Folder and select "delete" After doing that, now load the new handheld Operating System V 4.5. onto your Blackberry. It's going to take 30 minutes to an hour to do the whole install of V4.5. Be patient and don't unplug anything, maybe go do laundry, clean the garage or paint a room while you are waiting.

Proceed with the software to wipe your system v 1.90

That should do it.

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by buttnugget; 11-30-08 at 01:48 PM.
    11-28-08 01:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD