Hey everyone. I'm planning on getting a BB this weekend, most likely a Curve, but maybe a Pearl. I'll be on ATT. I've been looking for deals online, and at Wirefly I can get a Pearl or an 8300 basically for free after rebates. An 8310, however, is ~$100 after rebates. I don't see myself really needing GPS, though I'd probably use it a half-dozen times a year or something like that. So, besides GPS and color selection, is the 8310 superior to the 8300 in any way (performance, call quality, other features, etc)? In a year or two, will the 8310 have a much higher resale value than the 8300? I'll pay the money if it's worth it, though on principle my wife doesn't believe in paying for cell phones when there are so many available for free. Thanks
    Ryan
    11-20-07 09:56 AM
    I have both, and other than the color and GPS you won't find much difference. As far as the resale value - by the end of a 2 year contract they will both be zero.
    11-20-07 10:17 AM
    I would get the 8310 just becasue of the GPS difference. You say you don't think you will ever really use it, but if you get the 8300 I garuntee that you will want to use the GPS feature but won't have it. "Murphy's Law"
    11-20-07 10:57 AM
    I'd agree with tumbleweed. I could have used it on numerous occasions. That being said, I think the difference between the two is obviously minimal besides GPS and the color difference. I'm going to AT&T tonight to see if I can't upgrade ot the 8310 because I only got my curve two months ago and this is the 3rd one I'm on due to varying problems. If not, I'll call AT&T support, they've been pretty good to me. Anyone know the exact release date of the 8310 this year?
    11-20-07 04:47 PM
    Using the GPS functionality on 8310 will require you to subscribe to TeleNav for $9.99 a month. When you cancel the TeleNav subscription, your GPS is kind of disabled. You will need to do work arounds to make it work with other applications...so I heard.
    11-20-07 07:35 PM
    Using the GPS functionality on 8310 will require you to subscribe to TeleNav for $9.99 a month. When you cancel the TeleNav subscription, your GPS is kind of disabled. You will need to do work arounds to make it work with other applications...so I heard.
    Really? I didn't know that. I thought you could just use 3rd party apps and not use TeleNav? I definitely don't want to pay $10 a month on the off chance that I might use the GPS. Can anyone else confirm this, b/c if so that's a dealbreaker for me.
    11-20-07 08:05 PM
    try nav4all or google maps,supposedly no voice directions with either but the reviews on them here seem to be good and a favorite saying of mine is...if its free its for me...well depending on what the offer is...lol
    11-20-07 10:23 PM
    I use google maps. If you go to your browser on you BB you can go to the google.com/gmm site and download it. This will be the version for the 8310 with the builtin gps and it will automatically detect it. Works great as long as you have a sat signal.
    11-20-07 10:32 PM
    Also...

try InfoSpace Find It

It's an awesome app for finding restaurants and things ur looking for.

And the included GPS maps have audio directions also
    11-21-07 08:55 AM
    Just so I'm clear, everyone is saying that GPS is enabled on the device even if you aren't paying the $10/mo fee to ATT? Just use the the free apps and you're good to go?
    11-21-07 09:45 AM
    Just so I'm clear, everyone is saying that GPS is enabled on the device even if you aren't paying the $10/mo fee to ATT? Just use the the free apps and you're good to go?
    yes, You don't need to have TeleNav to use your gps, you just need to get other free app for it:
    Nav4All, Google Map, amAze, etc
    11-21-07 11:06 AM
    renewed contract last month w/ att and got the 8300. 2 weeks later the 8310 came out and exchanged (had to pay upgrade fee of $30). download freebie maps but make sure you have an unlimited data plan or you'll have sticker shock with your first bill! pay the $100 for the 8310 w/ gps. here's why......get an 8300 for free but then you'll pay $70-$100 for a gps puck eventually. why have a puck to tote around when you can get gps built in.

free mapware is great. once you get it, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.
    11-21-07 08:40 PM
    So I picked up an 8310 (Red) from an ATT corporate store for $200 before $100 rebate. I've been playing for the last hour or so. I went with the 8310 b/c Wirefly wouldn't give me an upgradeto the 8300 on my el cheapo Familytalk 550 plan. They were going to make me upgrade to a more expensive plan. I'd rather pay a little more up front and less in the long run.
    11-25-07 06:38 PM
    I truly love the 8310.
    11-25-07 08:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD