The usb port isn't really a DIY repair unless you have special tools and some skills with desoldering/soldering small, heat-sensitive components on electronic circuitboards.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-09 03:33 PM
    I've seen too many broken usb ports! They get mangled from inserting the charger or other cables into the port at an angle and then using too much force. The port is very, very difficult to replace unless you have the talent/skill to solder really tiny connectors in a tight location. There are 5 tiny pins on the back of the port that are soldered to the main board that (for me) is impossible to to get at without possibly overheating something else on the board. To send it out will cost anywhere from $50-75 from what I've researched. That's why it's important to check the port before purchasing. If you cannot plug it in, at least look really close and make sure you see the 5 gold pins intact.

As far as replacing other items (lcd, faceplates, etc.) just Google what you want to do, or ask on this forum and people will lead you in the right direction. Or better yet, use the search function.
    06-24-09 03:37 PM
    Yes Im not about to go start posting threads asking for help when i know 100% they have been asked before. so far youtube has been extremely helpful
    06-24-09 03:48 PM
    Shfjcs, thanks for that "Test" mode information. I decided to give it a try. That was really comprehensive, and then some.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-09 03:52 PM
    Im glad to see that veteran users found some help in his information. I can only imagine how much it will help a n00b like me
    06-24-09 04:01 PM
    that a good deal 60$ for a curve?
    go get it noww
    06-24-09 06:13 PM
    Picked it up last night. Its in amazing cosmetic condition with minor scrapes here and there. Talked to the guy for about 15 min or so. Said he just didnt like the blackberry and switched to Iphone. Ran the phone through the test mode and everything checked out. Got home and was even happier after I started playing with it. I cant wait to head over to the AT&T store this weekend to set up my data plan.

I checked the back of the phone under the battery and there were no red marks to indicate water damage. However when I pulled the battery to insert my memory card I looked on the bottom of the battery and the sticker shows the red Xs but its still slightly pink. The guy had said he had never gotten it wet and as i said EVERYTHING is working fine, is there anything I should know? Is this normal? I looked around in other threads and people stated that your OK as long as you can see the Xs individually.
    06-25-09 10:33 AM
    glad to hear that it seems like you got a killer deal!! good luck with everything!
    06-25-09 11:26 AM
    I will post pictures when I get home. Not like anybody cares but I feel like I got a sweet score. Now lets hope I dont eat my words. I really appreciate everyone's advice
    06-25-09 11:45 AM
    That's great!
    I got a similarly cheap deal on an 8330 Curve here in the market place a while back.
    Good Luck and enjoy!
    06-25-09 12:19 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD