Hi everyone!

I am new here, got my first blackberry (curve 8330 w/verizon) about three days ago. So far, so good. However i was playing with my phone last night before i went to bed and my battery had about 75% of life left and i didn't think i needed to charge it so i left it uncharge. Woke up, checked on my phone and realized that it wasn't working, so i tried turning it on, and it wouldn't turn on. I hooked my charger to it and finally it showed some sign of life. At first i couldn't figure out what happened. I thought one of two things...either my phone turned off itself somehow or the battery is dead. when i finally got the phone to turn on it did say i had about 5% of battery life left.

I have a few questions. What could possibly drained the battery that fast? Second, i guess when the battery is that low it turns off my network connection so i can't place a call or send any msgs out, how long does it have to charge for my phone network to come back up? Or would i have to turn it on myself? Any any other suggestions for me, please. Thanks a lot!
    08-08-08 05:54 PM
    did you have any applications running? cause if you had a lot of applications running or even had browser on some site, it'll drain your battery real fast.

if not that, then dunno...
    08-08-08 05:59 PM
    First always full charge before bed, then you can always set auto on/off this way it isn't running all night but it can come on say 30 before you wake up so you get all your data. It takes about an hour to charge my battery, I bought extras on Ebay in case I get long calls during the day and drive down battery. I change the battery daily so each is being used on a balance

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-08 06:00 PM
    did you have any applications running? cause if you had a lot of applications running or even had browser on some site, it'll drain your battery real fast.

if not that, then dunno...
    Hmm, i didn't think i had any apps running but maybe i did have the browser on a site. I didn't even know that it would drain the battery too. so what do i have to do to close the browser? like..if im done browsing then hit close when im done?
    08-08-08 06:03 PM
    You may need a few charge cycles for your battery to be all spiffed up. I noticed horrible battery life my first few days, but it improved after a few overnight charges. As to what might have been draining it - are you leaving anything running (especially GPS programs) in the background? Are you closing apps properly (via the menu, not just using the red "end" button?
    08-08-08 06:04 PM
    First always full charge before bed, then you can always set auto on/off this way it isn't running all night but it can come on say 30 before you wake up so you get all your data. It takes about an hour to charge my battery, I bought extras on Ebay in case I get long calls during the day and drive down battery. I change the battery daily so each is being used on a balance

Okay, yeah i have been reading from different sites that says to always charge the battery no matter what, even if there is quite a lot of battery life left. I will do that. The auto on/off feature, i haven't even used because i never turn off my phone at night because sometimes i do need to hear a phone call. But maybe on my days off i should try that feature. Thanks!
    08-08-08 06:06 PM
    i like to keep my phone on standby whenever i'm not using it. If you are unfamiliar with standby, just press and hold the mute button on the top of the phone, then press it again when you are needing to use it. Calls come through with it in standby as well. Good luck and i hope this might help.
    08-08-08 06:15 PM
    i like to keep my phone on standby whenever i'm not using it. If you are unfamiliar with standby, just press and hold the mute button on the top of the phone, then press it again when you are needing to use it. Calls come through with it in standby as well. Good luck and i hope this might help.
    Thanks! If i put my phone on standby, what exactly does it do?
    08-08-08 06:17 PM
    Just saves battery life A LOT.

08-08-08 06:51 PM
    Yup, yup! Standby and charging every night. You'll do fine!

08-08-08 07:01 PM
    Check out the link in my sig for tips on battery life
    08-08-08 07:04 PM
    Applications running will drain yoyr battery quick. When I first got my Curve I was playing around with it and when I woke up the next morning it was completely dead, just like what happened to you. I found that I had left the camera open and the camera is one of the apps that will drain the battery very quickly!

Also, make sure you are closing the apps. If you only press the end key most apps go the background and don't close. This is a noob mistake I made with the camera. You can check which applications are running by selecting Switch Application from the BB menu or by holding Alt and pressing the back key.

Hope this helps and enjoy the best phone ever.

Elader

08-08-08 07:25 PM
    Applications running will drain yoyr battery quick. When I first got my Curve I was playing around with it and when I woke up the next morning it was completely dead, just like what happened to you. I found that I had left the camera open and the camera is one of the apps that will drain the battery very quickly!

Also, make sure you are closing the apps. If you only press the end key most apps go the background and don't close. This is a noob mistake I made with the camera. You can check which applications are running by selecting Switch Application from the BB menu or by holding Alt and pressing the back key.

Hope this helps and enjoy the best phone ever.

Elader

I used to do this too and my battery life was horrible. Make sure you menu and then close apps when you're done with them. I am also getting into the habit of putting my phone in sleep mode when I'm not using it.

08-08-08 07:42 PM
    So basically what i have to do is.....when i am finished using any applications, hit menu and close the application. then i should charge my phone every night and put my phone on standby? Sounds good to me. Now...when i want to take my phone out of standby what do i gotta do?
    08-08-08 07:42 PM
    Putting your phone on standby really helps. For the first few days I had terrible battery life. I didn't know that pressing the red end button didn't close a lot of the apps. Now I know to press menu-close after using any app. It did take a few days and charge cycles for my battery to really last. I still charge nightly despite having 25-50 battery left.
    Welcome to CrackBerry! You will love your Curve!
    AMOG

08-08-08 09:59 PM
    but i can say my first week of my BB it died during the night alot, now its one of the longest battery lifes ive had.
    08-08-08 10:06 PM
    What is your signal strength? Mine is very weak in my home and that drains my battery.

08-08-08 10:22 PM
    If people are able to walk in their sleep, do you think you are able to BB in your sleep?
    08-08-08 10:41 PM
    If people are able to walk in their sleep, do you think you are able to BB in your sleep?

if that was the case I would literally be on my BB 24/7

08-08-08 11:28 PM
    Does texting with one eye closed and the other half open count?
    08-08-08 11:32 PM
    Haha I've done the one eye texting thing too. Ok. Thanks for everyones suggestions and help!

08-10-08 04:02 AM
    I've heard that leaving your BB plugged in overnight cannot be too good for the battery. It will eventually shorten the life or "charge hold" of the batter. Is this true? I ask bc all of you seem to be charging you batteries even when there is 75% left on it.

08-10-08 06:08 PM
    was your phone constantly switching back and forth between home and roaming networks? that can be a huge killer
    08-10-08 06:13 PM
    Great information - thanks to everyone for your helpful comments in this thread! I've been having the same problem with my battery dying (and have been making the same mistake of closing apps with the red end button rather than the menu) - one quick search on Crackberry and my problem is solved!

Thanks again!
    08-22-08 01:31 PM
    I must have got lucky cause I charge my battery every 3 days it seems like.
    But I don't run websites on it or anything, just many text messages.
    08-22-08 01:42 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD