I just bought new, unlocked Blackberry 8320's for my wife and I. These are our first BB's and they are pretty freakin' cool. But, I bought them unlocked specifically because I didn't want to pay AT&T's $30 a month for internet. I was told by three different AT&T reps that if I bought unlocked phones, I could pay for the generic data plan ($10-$15) and still get unlimited internet. We have the phones. We have the data plan. But, no go. I can use the Wi-Fi on the phones just fine, but I can't get the browser configuration to allow gprs or EDGE on either BB. I must be missing something, or many somethings, but I really want to get these to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    03-10-09 10:15 PM
    03-10-09 10:21 PM
    You will need a BlackBerry data plan.
    03-10-09 10:24 PM
    I'm not sure why ATT employees would discourage someone from using their bb data plan, or even offer a loophole. So, you're telling me that the data plan ATT offers on other phones is useless on an unlocked BB?
    03-10-09 10:30 PM
    Yep they lied to you. To get EDGE or GPRS you need to have the data plan.
    03-11-09 12:45 AM
    AT&T Rep was under-educated on the subject, for a matter of fact almost every cell phone rep will lie, I was one (i didn't lie just omitted the truth at times, but if I didn't know the answer I would say I don't know it). For blackberries you need to use the blackberry data plan. I don't know what the data plans are for AT&T but since you have the 8320 with wi-fi you should just get the cheapest one to receive emails on the go, and maybe use your browser the odd time on the go, but when you are in a wi-fi hot spot use it. Thats what I do, and just use the data plan for blackberry messenger and receiving emails.
    03-11-09 12:50 AM
    I was wondering if anyone could help, it seems I have the same problem but I do have GPRS however anytime I try to access to my browser I get the message 'This is a Wi-Fi service. Please ensure your device has an active Wi-Fi connection and try again'. After searching the forums I tried to change my browser from Hotspot Browser but this is my only option. I have tried re-sending my service books and registering my HRT, however none of this has worked and I still only have Hotspot Browser. Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks in advance.
    03-15-09 03:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD