Hi All

I have the 8330 through Verizon, and have a few questions. Thanks in advance for your help!

1) I've seen all the talk about the 4.5 software. Is it available at Verizon yet?

2) As of today, I'm getting emails on my BB very slowly. Is it my phone or is something wrong with the BB server?

3) I stupidly dropped another curve into a sink and fried it, so I bought this one to replace it. If I were to try a new battery in that phone, would it possibly work or is it a lost cause?

4) I'm anxious to get new ringtones for my BB but am clueless as to how to go about it, and then how to get it into my phone. What is the easiest way?

Thanks for bearing with me!!
    10-26-08 11:11 AM
    Hi All

I have the 8330 through Verizon, and have a few questions. Thanks in advance for your help!

1) I've seen all the talk about the 4.5 software. Is it available at Verizon yet?

2) As of today, I'm getting emails on my BB very slowly. Is it my phone or is something wrong with the BB server?

3) I stupidly dropped another curve into a sink and fried it, so I bought this one to replace it. If I were to try a new battery in that phone, would it possibly work or is it a lost cause?

4) I'm anxious to get new ringtones for my BB but am clueless as to how to go about it, and then how to get it into my phone. What is the easiest way?

Thanks for bearing with me!!
    1. 4.5 is not avail though VZW yet. Can be had from Blackberry.com
    2. This is a hard call. Need more info like who is providing your email.
    3. You can try another battery, but I would venture to guess most likely not.
    4. Lots of ringtones here, you can get them and it sends a link to your phone and then puts it right on the phone for you. Although I would put them on an SD card.
    10-26-08 11:31 AM
    Thank you

I set up my aol and comcast email on my phone. I receive comcast email on my computer through windows mail.

I did buy an SD card with this phone. So I just put it in and then find ringtones on this site and that's it?

Thanks again
    10-26-08 11:41 AM
    You can either have ringtones sent to your email, in turn having them arrive on your BB, and then downloading through the email. Or, download to your computer, and then use Desktop Manager to get them on the device.
    Congrats on the new phone and welcome to the crack!
    10-26-08 11:43 AM
    1. lastraid is correct in that VZW has not released 4.5 OS. If you must have the 4.5 OS, Blackberry has the 4.5 OS available for download here BlackBerry - BlackBerry Device Software, but VZW will not support it if something goes wrong.
    2. Difficult to say. Are you using BIS or BES?
    3. Does not sound like a battery would revive the sink dropped BB, especially if their is water damage
    4. Crackberry has plenty of ring tones and if you are a VZW customer, you can download them from their site at
    Verizon Wireless: Features and Downloads. Once downloaded, you can use your DM to sync with your phone. Here is a very good tutorial: BlackBerry 101: How to Download and Install Ringtones on your BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com
    10-26-08 11:46 AM
    Did you get insurance for your new phone? Some like it some don't, but when I lost my Curve, it was $130 to replace it instead of 450.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-26-08 12:00 PM
    I'm using BIS.

Thanks for the help and the tutorial. I'm going to try this out now
    10-26-08 12:03 PM
    insurance claims are only $50 thru VZW

you can also make ringtones through Make Your Own Ringtones - Free Ringtone Maker. You have to upload the song then drag the sliders to make your own ringtone. You can also fade in and out. it gives you many options on how to send the ringtone.
    Did you get insurance for your new phone? Some like it some don't, but when I lost my Curve, it was $130 to replace it instead of 450.

Yes, I learned my lesson and decided to spring for the $5.99 a month, lol!
    Also make sure you format the SD card in yor device.

Options>media card> menu>format
    10-26-08 12:08 PM
    I know you're going to throw things at the screen after this question, but am I allowed another stupid question? My Sd card came in three parts. Which one do I use? I take it it goes somewhere behind the battery?
    10-26-08 12:16 PM
    Use the smallest one (micro). Yes intalled in a small clip behind the battery. It slides to left and flips up. slide the card in connectors down and flip it closed, slide to right and insert battery.
    10-26-08 12:19 PM
    MicroSD cards are usually packaged with an adapter to allow use in a standard SD slot, the other piece is likely a plastic box for the adapter.

On the Curve, the MicroSD slot is behind the battery. The latching device is a little tricky to use. The key is inserting the contacts correctly, you have to push it into place, then close and latch the cover.
    10-26-08 12:21 PM
    Thanks, I found it but I'm afraid I'm going to break the latching cover that doesn't seem to be opening
    10-26-08 12:24 PM
    Well for the latch cover you sinply slide it over to the left (assuming the phone os facing down and facing away from you) and then pull it up from right to left. It'll then stand up and you put the microSD card in with the front facing the left and the pins facing down. Fold the flap back over and slide it to your right, then you're all set.

Btw, becareful about installing new OS's if your provider doesn't support them. This can void your warranty, with verizon it does

10-26-08 12:35 PM
    You might need to go store then, I cannot do this for you Just take your time and do not force it.
    10-26-08 12:36 PM
    Woo hoo, I got the latch cover open. Now I can't close it! I'm really not this clueless, I swear!

Thanks for the advice about the OS. I'm going to wait. I wanted HTML email, but it's not worth the risk.
    10-26-08 12:40 PM
    Keep in mind that the card slides into the door. Then u shut the door and latch it. don't open the door and try to put the card in the slot then close the door overe it.

10-26-08 12:42 PM
    I was doing exactly what you said not to do! Thank you! I finally did it, let's hope it works!
    10-26-08 12:47 PM
    I figured that was it. I did that over and over until I got my book out and read how to do it. I thought I was just a dumb a$$

10-26-08 12:50 PM
    I did the same thing and my first thought was, WTF this thing isn't closing! Then I loled when I read the book

10-26-08 12:54 PM
    Read a book? Us guys do not read books.
    10-26-08 02:57 PM
    Thanks to all for your help! I'm sure I'll have more questions again soon! I appreciate you taking the time to help a newbie
    10-26-08 05:48 PM
    Also note that you slide the card into the silver clamp when it is pointing up. First time, I tried to put the card down on the contacts and close the clamp over it. Dat don't work.

With the silver clamp pointing up and out away from the back of the BB, slide the card into the silver clamp, contacts down and on the right side. Then push the clamp with card inserted to the right and down. When it is down all the way to the right, push down slightly on the silver clamp and move it to the right. It will slide over the card a little bit to the right, and will lock into place.

Michael
    10-26-08 06:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD