I'm having difficulties, I'm following all the steps but after I install the official 4.5 to my computer and load desktop manager, I plug in my BB but it does not recognize potential updates and the dialog box does not pop up.

****, half the time desktop manager doesn't even recognize my device?

Where am I going wrong?
    08-12-08 09:04 AM
    That's hard to say since there are so many factors. You should do more research and fully understand the process before trying to upgrade.
    08-12-08 09:11 AM
    You may wanna check into why your DM does not recognize your device "half of the time" before you worry about an OS upgrade

This would prove a problem and possibly brick your Berry during the install process...
    08-12-08 09:17 AM
    DM has always worked fine up until this morning.

Before installing the new OS, I downloaded and installed the new DM.

And now its having trouble recognizing the device, weird?
    08-12-08 09:19 AM
    I would always recommend getting used to a new DM before attempting an OS install... that way you are comfortable with it and know how it works!

Also, then you can determine if DM messed up your Berry or the new OS did, once the install fails

That being said, are you sure you removed the vendor.xml file?
    08-12-08 09:21 AM
    Yeah, I removed the vendor file.

I'm going to uninstall and then reinstall device manager and see what happens.
    08-12-08 09:36 AM
    Desktop manager is now recognizing my device.

However, when it initially recognized the device, it did not recognize the potential upgrade?
    08-12-08 10:14 AM

Double check to make sure cuz that happened too me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-08 10:16 AM
    Are you sure the OS is for your device? And make sure the vendor.xml is removed!

It may have got restored when reinstalling DM. Check the link in my signature for Proper Upgrade / Downgrade Procedure

Double check to make sure you deleted the vendor file cuz that happened too me.

Well, I know why its not recognizing the potential OS upgrade.

I guess along with uninstalling desktop manager I must have uninstalled the new OS along with it.

The vendor file is removed.

I've been following this link, BlackBerry 101: How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) | CrackBerry.com

In the proper upgrade/downgrade steps, I notice you have to wipe your device clean but it says nothing of this in the steps I have been following.?
    08-12-08 10:20 AM
    I got the HTML Email to work on my two BIS accounts but I cannot get it to work o nmy Main one which is a BES, I have resent the service books and nothing. any takers
    08-12-08 10:24 AM
    Tree, you need to start your own thread. Were trying to help the OP, sorry

08-12-08 10:38 AM
    Well, I know why its not recognizing the potential OS upgrade.

I guess along with uninstalling desktop manager I must have uninstalled the new OS along with it.

The vendor file is removed.

I've been following this link, BlackBerry 101: How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) | CrackBerry.com

In the proper upgrade/downgrade steps, I notice you have to wipe your device clean but it says nothing of this in the steps I have been following.?
    If you read the description I provide in my procedure, it addresses this
    08-12-08 10:40 AM
    Shult, the 101 instructiions should be fine. Apploader will wipe your device, back up and reinstall your apps and most settings. The other method is a more complete process that makes sure everything gets done - it puts you in charge instead of the apploader. Couple things, do not use a USB hub, and everytime you uninstall and reinstall you need to delete the vendor file.

08-12-08 10:43 AM
    DM has always worked fine up until this morning.

Before installing the new OS, I downloaded and installed the new DM.

And now its having trouble recognizing the device, weird?
    This has been reported a number of time with 8330 devices. After the OS has been installed, USB no longer registers the device.

The simple solution is to reinstall the DeskTop Manager. In the process, the USB connection will be fixed.

The other way to correct the problem is to open Windows control panel / System / Device Drivers. If you see an error associate with the USB driver, delete it and restart the computer. That will also force a fresh connection.
    08-12-08 10:45 AM
    If you read the description I provide in my procedure, it addresses this
    lol, I happened to read it after I posted that first one and before you posted this. My fault, lol.

I did everything right, to my knowledge, but still to no avail.

I'm usually very tech savvy and pick up on things quickly, for some reason just can't seem to get the grasp of this. Maybe I was destined to run 4.3.
    08-12-08 10:47 AM
    Whew.

It's going. Thanks to everyone!

Now lets just hope for a successful install!
    08-12-08 11:03 AM
    Whew.

It's going. Thanks to everyone!

Now lets just hope for a successful install!
    What did the solution end up being?
    08-12-08 11:11 AM
    Always post the solution so we know, and congrats

08-12-08 11:14 AM
    Well when desktop manager started recognizing my device after I reinstalled it, it was just a matter of deleting vendor file.

I had deleted it before but after every restart I wasn't. So what it turned down to was not deleting that file after rebooting my computer.

Thanks!
    08-12-08 11:14 AM
    It is a pesky file, lol. Now remember - do NOT unplug until the apploader tells you it is done. Sometimes it looks like it is frozen, but it isn't. It always helps to go away for a while and not watch the screen.

08-12-08 11:20 AM
    Seems to be working.

Whats up with the little block boxes next to date in sms messages?
    08-12-08 11:32 AM
    how do i delete the vendor file?
    08-12-08 04:08 PM
    how do i delete the vendor file?
    This is the exact reason you should not attempt to upgrade your device OS

Please heed the advice of others... and if you are following a guide (which you should be)... then read the warnings... and take them for what they are worth!
    08-12-08 04:14 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD