For those of you biting your nails on whether or not to upgrade from 4.3 to 4.5, hopefully you will just do it now.

EDIT: If you have no knowledge of how to go about doing this and aren't great with this sort of thing, then don't. I'm simply suggesting for those that DO know how, it's a decently nice upgrade and allows you to use the 4.5 themes as well. I'm not advising you to go into unchartered waters and brick your baby. This is more of a screenshot thread than a tutorial, so look at the sticky if you're actually interested.

At first I didn't want to risk anything but it's pretty easy and straightforward, just make sure your contacts are in a backup address book or something first.

I was playing around with the JL_Cmder screenshot utility and decided to take some pics of the small differences from 4.3 to 4.5.

Slightly different look for the home screen, maybe a bit faster?

Just a blog post from CB that I pasted, pretty simple

The CB newsletter in its full HTML glory

The Player looks a bit different, smooth

(Last pic had to be attached)

The post-picture taking screen has changed...same options though...

Hope you upgrade soon,

Caleb
    Last edited by cwake16; 09-25-08 at 10:36 PM.
    09-25-08 10:22 PM
    For those of you biting your nails on whether or not to upgrade from 4.3 to 4.5, hopefully you will just do it now.
    This kind of advice drives me absolutely nuts. Just because it went well for
    you does not mean it will go well for everyone.

The fact that you found it easy and straightforward, is all well and good
    but there are a lot of varied experience levels here and just advising people
    who may not have the requisite skill or understanding of the conventions of
    the BlackBerry or the processes of upgrading, downgrading and problem
    resolution to do something that can turn their phone into a paperweight is
    somewhat irresponsible.

And don't take any of this the wrong way. I'm happy you got it running
    and are pleased with it. But you must have seen the many "I tried to
    uprgrade and bricked my phone" threads.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 09-25-08 at 10:33 PM.
    09-25-08 10:29 PM

somewhat irresponsible.

You're right I'm sorry, it's been clarified
    09-25-08 10:37 PM
    Good deal. I am just big on giving the warnings as well as the
    benefits. Thanks
    09-25-08 10:42 PM
    I just upgrade my 8330 (Alltel) to officially OS 4.5
    Everything seems work smoothly so far. But I think there is not any different than beta OS 4.5, or I could not recognize the different.
    Ringtone volume still not loud enough as we expecting before ... suck
    09-25-08 11:31 PM
    We do advise caution because many of us have spand hours helping people recover their devices. Usually problems are human error -- not following directions, getting impatient and unplugging early. Stuff like that. It can be stressful for everyone.

BTW, I upgraded this evening as I have a bunch of times, and I still get nervous and super cautious even though I'm pretty sure I can solve most problems. One never knows, I could be the first one to discover a rare way to blow a berry up, .

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-26-08 01:05 AM
    I think that most people think they bricked there phone when something happens wrong in the update. There are threads in here that tell you exactly how to fix the problem and restore your phone. It happened to me and I restored it. Then I switched through 3 more OS's without a problem. Read the tuturials and learn up on the programs and installation will be smooth and successfull. Gotta thank the hardcore crackberry addicts on this site for all the knowlegable information.
    09-26-08 01:07 AM
    And someone's almost always here just in case

09-26-08 01:13 AM
    And someone's almost always here just in case

Thanks to people like you, I feel assured when I have a problem with my BB Thanks buddy!
    09-26-08 01:42 AM
    Great post. And yes i agree.. I always let them know. FIrst you are upgrading at your own risk (even though we are here to help) and if you dont know what you are doing then it might be a good idea to just wait.
    09-26-08 05:03 AM
    You risk "bricking" a device during ANY OS upgrade, not just to a beta. But as has been mentioned, there are ways to recover devices from "updates gone bad" . . .
    09-26-08 05:43 AM
    You risk "bricking" a device during ANY OS upgrade, not just to a beta. But as has been mentioned, there are ways to recover devices from "updates gone bad" . . .
    You r right, but the reason we stress this issue is because bricking your phone because of a beta OS can void your warranty. Bricking your phone on a official OS, the carrier has no choice but to help you.

09-26-08 05:56 AM
    You r right, but the reason we stress this issue is because bricking your phone because of a beta OS can void your warranty. Bricking your phone on a official OS, the carrier has no choice but to help you.

09-26-08 05:57 AM

somewhat irresponsible.

Yeah, what AG said!
    09-26-08 06:00 AM
    I did my first O/S upgrade from 4.2 to 4.5 a couple of days ago and everything went fine.

I saw where you can now edit Microsoft Word documents. Does anyone here know how? I opened the attachment and then downloaded it to the media card. What do I use to open & edit it?

Curve 8320 on T-Mobile
    09-26-08 06:08 AM
    to the o.p. thanks for posting the pics, nice job...its nice to see these things so people know there is a reason to upgrade.
    09-26-08 07:17 AM
    im running the new .77 and i love it so far....the web browser is so much better than than the oe from verizon
    09-26-08 07:27 AM
    Yeah, what AG said!
    You're a bit late. I corrected my post last night.
    09-26-08 07:53 AM

somewhat irresponsible.

I personally lurk a lot more than I post here, and it irritates me that people (this isn't just you, ag.)are still screaming OGM WAT DONT DO IT! to people who aren't capable of accomplishing things on their own. Let's be honest here. If someone types like a ******** monkey bashing their face on the keys, they probably have no business trying to do things that require thought or technical musing.

Operator error isn't his fault. I mean, if people aren't able to follow extremely easy written directions (as in don't unplug the phone for an hour), why should people have to take heat for suggesting people perform an easy upgrade? Let's face it... installing the BB OS is ridiculously easy.

People are going to keep bricking their phones, and nothing you say or do to try and dissuade them is going to matter. If people can't read stickies, it's their own fault. You are not needed to be the champion of the inept.
    09-26-08 08:35 AM
    If someone types like a ******** monkey bashing their face on the keys, they probably have no business trying to do things that require thought or technical musing.
    lololol

but people that are warning us like that are only trying to help because they're the ones always having to help the "******** monkeys" as you put it
    09-26-08 09:05 AM
    I personally lurk a lot more than I post here, and it irritates me that people (this isn't just you, ag.)are still screaming OGM WAT DONT DO IT! to people who aren't capable of accomplishing things on their own. Let's be honest here. If someone types like a ******** monkey bashing their face on the keys, they probably have no business trying to do things that require thought or technical musing.

Operator error isn't his fault. I mean, if people aren't able to follow extremely easy written directions (as in don't unplug the phone for an hour), why should people have to take heat for suggesting people perform an easy upgrade? Let's face it... installing the BB OS is ridiculously easy.

People are going to keep bricking their phones, and nothing you say or do to try and dissuade them is going to matter. If people can't read stickies, it's their own fault. You are not needed to be the champion of the inept.
    He was simply giving his opinion. While telling the other posters about the positives, you also need to tell them about the negative. When you just say "oh your going to get this, this, and that" and they end up getting an error that they didnt expect, then what? So inform them of what the downfall as well as the gain could be. your not the one on here for hours helping people fix the same problems over "which we dont mind," but covering the same topic over and over gets a little tiresome. And that all could have been resolved with a little FYI warning.
    09-26-08 09:11 AM
    Lol anyway.....I love BlackBerry and CrackBerry?

I seriously love this phone, BB is the best and I can't wait for the storm. I am hoping it's cool otherwise I guess I will just stick with this gem.
    09-26-08 12:34 PM
    Here's a quick question for anyone that has done this with alltel, does the mms work as it did before?

I remember reading it didn't in one of the upgrades, so I keep holding off, but I'm ready to put .77 on if i can use mms (need it for work, go figure).
    09-26-08 02:11 PM
    Ok I wanna put the BBM 5 on my bb, mi have 4.5.0.77 and i wanna upgrade to 4.5.0.130 can someone send me a link... I know its at my own risk and i uderstand i just need help...
    08-11-09 12:32 AM
    Wow, this was an old thread to dig up...

Here you go:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...nguage-152163/

08-11-09 01:09 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD