I posted this in the Alltel area, but thought some of the "smarter" folks here might not check that area and maybe you would have some insight into this.

I've been having trouble mms'ing videos outside of the Alltel network. Alltel tech support has been unresponsive so I took to doing my own investigating.

I tried upgrading to the 4.5.89, 4.5.127, & 4.5.131 software versions each time deleting and resending service books and registring host routing tables. None of that worked.

When I take videos on my phone they are saved as a *.3GP format. When trying to send them to anyone outside of Alltel they don't recieve them and get the msg. "attachment dropped".

I noticed today that when I get a video from someone outside of Alltel I get the video in *.3g2 format and can see it fine. For a test I took one of my videos copied it to my computer, renamed the video to *.3g2, copied it to the phone and then sent it out to Verizon & Sprint customers as a MMS attachment and it worked just fine

I worked with a Verizon customer here in the office and checked out his phone. His videos are on his phone in *.3GP format as well, but when he sends them MMS I don't know if it is the phone or his carrier converts the file to the *.3g2 format?

For some reason either the Alltel BB's or Alltel themselves are not converting the file when sending MMS video attachments?

Until I can find/figure out more if you want to try sending video mms attachments outside of Alltel try going to Media then menu button and go to explore. Explore to your video location, highlight the video that you would like to send. Click on the menu button then rename. Change the *.3GP to *.3g2 and save it. You should now be able to send outside of the Alltel network.

I have called and had this info. added to my already open ticket, so we will see if Alltel does anything with it.

Let me know if this works/doesn't work for you.

Guess I'd better get back to work now

Anyone have any thoughts of why/what? Would this be a phone thing or a carrier thing?
    02-13-09 11:09 AM
    Still haven't heard anything from alltel. How would I determine if this problem is a phone or carrier issue?
    02-14-09 07:38 AM
    If it is being send I doubt it would be a device issue. minimal anyway. When you inter carrier the message is sent though a middle and converted to the other carriers technology. This is where a lot of problems happen. THisis very hard to tech and should be escalated to your carrier. IF there network group is worth a damn the will inviove the midle man and the other carrier to resolve the issue.
    02-14-09 08:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD