latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2009/05/invented-text-messaging.html

Interesting read, it may shed light on this debate... and you can meet the founder of 160-character messaging.

Fredrick
    05-07-09 04:06 PM
    Ok I work for Verizon as far as I know most NON smart phones will let you continue to type past the 160 character limit! These messages will then be broken into 2 messages if they are going to a verizon wireless cell phone. if they are going to a non verizon wireless cell, only the first 160chars will be sent, the rest will be lost.

Judging from the fact that the message is sent as two messages to verizon, but to non verizon it is cut off... I would take an educated guess that verizons server receives ALL of the characters and then decides what to do if it is over 160 characters.
    Now verizon does send a text saying "if your text is over 160 chars and going to a non verizon phone only the first 160 chars will be sent"
    Interesting because it means verizon is to damn ******* like to send both messages to a non verizon carrier (I know i work for them and i call them bastards)..
    blackberry found a way around this.. let us not let anyone text over 160 characters.. period!
    why??
    because people often text to non verizon customers from a verizon blackberry... and instead of having the people go "DAMNIT ONLY HALF MY TEXT MADE IT" they would for some reason rather them go "DAMNIT BLACKBERRY MAXES ME AT 160"
    Seems like a bad idea by RIM but it is actually better for the customer!
    Last edited by ene777; 07-28-09 at 01:24 PM.
    07-28-09 01:18 PM
    Couldn't they change the standard to something like 200 characters? That would be a bit more generous.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-09 01:53 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD