Hi Everyone,

I currently use a 8830WE on the Sprint side. I was considering a switch to the 8350i. I still have several people I know who use the DC. My only concern is I travel out of the country (Europe) once a year. Does Nextel have any international options?

Also, has Nextel improved coverage/dropped call issues? I had them several years ago and there were some problems with dropped calls in the Detroit area. Some of the posts read here suggest text message problems with a delay on receipt. Have those issues been resolved? With that being said, I loved Nextel and thought the voice quality on the calls was superior to anything since. Also, the reception in buildings was exceptional.

Thanks for any suggestions and I hope to be back to the "chirp" soon!

chesterhound
    06-22-09 09:59 AM
    I currently use a 8830WE on the Sprint side. I was considering a switch to the 8350i. I still have several people I know who use the DC. My only concern is I travel out of the country (Europe) once a year. Does Nextel have any international options?
    Integrated Digital Enhanced Network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia dont think you can use it there.....

Also, has Nextel improved coverage/dropped call issues? I had them several years ago and there were some problems with dropped calls in the Detroit area. Some of the posts read here suggest text message problems with a delay on receipt. Have those issues been resolved? With that being said, I loved Nextel and thought the voice quality on the calls was superior to anything since. Also, the reception in buildings was exceptional.
    i think it has gotten better, it all depends on where you live. some say sprint is better and others say they dont get sprint but they get nextel.
    06-22-09 10:47 AM
    I would say like Casper said it all depends on where you live and how good your signal reception is. Where i live i have ruffly 5 towers within like 10 miles of my house so my reception is perfect almost everywhere i go. I have Sprint(8330) for my personal and Nextel(8350i) for business and both work amazing for me. Even though you may read some bad reviews on the 8350 i DO NOT have any negatives about the device since i got it. I would go down to your local Sprint store and check the coverage area in your town and give the 8350 a test drive while your there.
    06-22-09 09:25 PM
    Thanks for your help! I am doing my research on the 8350i. The area I live has excellent coverage for both Sprint and Nextel. My wife has the 8330 and loves it. I would like to have the added feature of walkie talkie and wifi.
    Has the text msg issue been resolved with the 8350i?
    Also, does anyone know if Sprint is continuing to add towers and improve the Nextel side. It seems awhile back when I had Nextel, I received a letter from Sprint saying how committed they were to Nextel.
    I really appreciate your input and help.

chesterhound

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-09 08:35 AM
    I live in ny nextel works flawless here. I haven't had problem wirh texts since the update. I love this phone I always been with nextel and wanted a bb. I ve only heard people on here say if ypu don't need the dc then go with sprint

06-23-09 11:31 AM
    As far as coverage, they're great or they're not there. Example, I run the lower half of the lower pennisula in michigan, a few deadspots but all in all good coverage. Now go north of the bridge to the U.P. No nextel coverage. Zero, Zilch, Nada. Got called up there on a family emergency last summer, had no phone for 4 days. At least if I get called up there again I'll take 20 mins and switch back to my hybrid phone so I can at least have phone coverage.

International as in overseas, not much luck. Spotty stories of canada/nextel compatibility.

If you need the DC, it's a great phone. Best nextel has offered in years as far as keeping up with the joneses.
    06-23-09 11:41 AM
    Been with Nextel 10+ years & been very happy, DC is the best. My boss recently travled to Israel with great phone svc, no DC obviously. Like the others said txt issues have been resolved

06-23-09 03:13 PM
    When I bought mine about a month ago I had 2 of the 3 service reps in the sprint store spend 20 minutes telling me not to buy this phone and to get the 8330 and stay on the sprint side (I came from the samsung instinct on sprint which I hated) I had read a lot of reviews on the phone and a lot of them were really bad. However I did pay attention to dates they were posted and the newer they were the better the reviews got. I've had a few of the delayed texts but not in the last 2 weeks. And it is nowhere as bad in texting asd my instinct was, I don't have to repeat myself 5 times to say something, and haven't had a single call quality (the other person not being able to hear me clearly) problem yet. As hard as the sales guys tried to push me away from the phone for it being "absolute garbage" I am very happy I didn't listen to them cause I love the phone. And I don't even use the DC to be honest. A couple years ago I had it on my old work phone and had a bunch of personal ones in there too, can't seem to find anyone that still has it lol. Oh well I like the look of this one better anyhow and it fits better in the hand and that's the reason I wanted it over the 8330 anyhow, not a huge difference between the 2 obviously but enough that I noticed it. My coverage area is in southeast wisconsin. I'd say its equal if not a bit better than the sprint coverage was.

06-23-09 05:32 PM
    Thanks again, I am getting some great responses from you! The last time I had Nextel was in 2007. At that time, the call reliability was vastly improved over years past. Of course the DC was outstanding. I agree that not as many people use it now due to cheaper cell minute plans, but it still seems to be the fastest way to get in touch.

I agree about some of the sales reps steering people away from Nextel. But at the multi-carrier stores, they steer people away from Sprint sometimes too! I agree it's best to research the phone/carrier and make your own decisions as you have suggested. As far as value, no other carrier can beat Sprint-Nextel. I am on the family data share plan and I have already checked into sharing my potential Nextel minutes with the rest of my family who are on Sprint (4 other phones).
    Thanks again for your responses and I will keep checking the forum and doing my research. I will be eligible for my discount August 1.

chesterhound

06-23-09 06:43 PM
    I honestly would say go for the 8350 chester. Remember u have 30 days if u disslike the phone to swap it out with a diff device. Once Nextel released the update a few months ago the 8350 works flawlessly IMO. When I got mine I immediately checked to see what OS I was running and was glad to see it already had the update. I think u will love the phone, don't mind the people who give it bad reviews. That just means it didn't work for THEM, doesn't mean it won't work for you. Its like a movie review, I never listen to them I'd rather see it and rate it myself.

06-24-09 06:12 AM
    Thanks Futurax, I completely agree with you. Even when I had Nextel years ago, people seemed to either love it or hate it.
    It seems I could check any of the CB forums and find both good and bad reviews of any model of BB. The only way to know for sure is for me to try out the 8350i. As you said, the 30 day trial period will be plenty of time to make an assessment.
    I know when I had my 7100 and even my 7510, I was very happy with their performance. The 8350i seems like a much more advanced device than those and is on par with all current BB models. Does anyone know the cost of the 8350i for Sprint Premier members?

Thanks again,

chesterhound

06-24-09 06:59 AM
    My was $150 after $200 mail in rebate. But that was dec when the phone first got released. I think they have a simaler deal just check there website

06-24-09 11:55 AM
    I just talked to Sprint. They are willing to sell the 8350i to me at $100 and give me a $100 mail-in rebate. So, the phone will essentially be no cost. The only issue is I have to wait til August 1

chesterhound

06-24-09 12:21 PM
    the Tour might be out by then......
    06-24-09 12:36 PM
    I was considering the Tour, but I want the DC and wifi. I beieve I have my international issue resolved too. I can just use the 8350i wifi at the airport, hotel, businesses, etc to do my email and BB Messenger. Plus, it seems the 8350i now has the bugs worked out since the December release. I am still seeing some texting issues being posted on the forum. Is that an OS issue or the device itself?

Thanks again for the help!,

chesterhound

06-25-09 08:43 AM
    dont forget, the iDEN only data speeds are going to be 1/4 of that of Sprints EVDO rev.0 so be prepared for that when not near a wifi network.
    06-28-09 04:19 AM
    dont forget, the iDEN only data speeds are going to be 1/4 of that of Sprints EVDO rev.0 so be prepared for that when not near a wifi network.
    this is true, BUT if you do a side by side comparison, the 8330 w/evdo is not always 4 times faster than the 8350i. and i'm not talking about wifi.
    06-28-09 08:40 AM
    oh data speeds will vary on EVDO....but you will be lucky to see over 100kbps in iDEN whereas your chances of scoring over 250kbps each time on EVDO is pretty good.
    06-28-09 09:23 AM
    I surf mostly just wap pages like crackberry and didn't really notice that mch of a speed change when switching from verizon to the 8350i
    06-28-09 11:26 AM
    i dont noticie a very big difference when i do have a wifi available
    06-28-09 07:35 PM
    Internet must be another one of those things that vary by area because I barely see a difference from sprint to nextel. Its slightly slower, but with opera browser on the phone it goes faster than sprint and the blackberry browser is barely noticeable.

I saw your post about deciding to go with it, hope ya like it.

06-28-09 07:47 PM
    Thanks again everyone for the input. I am waiting for UPS to deliver my 8350i. As soon as I get it up and running, I will let you know. I think all of your helpful responses as well as my prior Nextel experience has me prepared. I also found a forum called direct-connect.net that has more info and DC sharing that was helpful.

chesterhound
    06-29-09 08:18 AM
    Hey all,

Got my new 8350i this morning. I now have it up and running and it is awesome! I have the WiFi going and am back to chirping too. I think I will have this phone a long time. My 8830WE was in service for nearly two years. That's one reason I waited to get the 8350i, I wanted to do all my homework and also wait for the bugs to be worked out. No problems so far with dropped calls or text delays, so I'm a happy camper!!

Thanks again,

chesterhound
    06-29-09 02:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD