I am looking for a way to use the Direct Connect Key as left convenience key. I understand that the key cannot be assigned like the right convenience key in Options/Screen/Keyboard. However, the fact that both QuickLaunch and Vlingo recognize the Direct Connect Key as a left convenience key leads me to believe that someone who new what they were doing could easily develop and app that would allow owners of the 8350i to assign apps to the Direct Connect Key.

A little additional background is included below. The latest 8350i OS, 4.6.1.313assigns Direct Connect Contacts to the Direct Connect Key when a Direct Connect call is not in progress. While I cannot change this setting in BLackberry Options, using Vlingo's internal settings I have been able to assign Vlingo to the Direct Connect Key. When I am in the home screen and hit the Direct Connect key Vlingo starts and works as it should. Unfortunately, because I cannot unassign Direct Connect Contacts from the key, my Direct Connect Contacts also open in the background. Also, during the initial set up of Vlingo, Vlingo recognized the Direct Connect Key as a left convenience key assigned to contacts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    12-10-09 09:27 AM
    as of right now its only used for dc. others asked the same thing but no one has found a away yet
    12-10-09 10:37 AM
    I am surprised that this has proved so difficult given that the functionality of the Direct Connect key can be controlled by third party apps. As I explained above, Vlingo recognizes that the Direct Connect Contacts are assigned to the key. Further, from within Vlingo, Vlingo can be assigned to the key, although Direct Connect Contacts remain assigned to the key also. If Vlingo can control the key from behind the scenes why can't an app that uses this functionality alone be developed?
    12-10-09 02:01 PM
    why can't an app that uses this functionality alone be developed?
    why you ask?? why would a developer spend the resources to develop an app for such a small percentage of the total market? thats a better question.
    12-10-09 02:54 PM
    if DC isnt that much of a priority that you want another functions assigned to the key, why not just get the 8330.
    12-10-09 06:26 PM
    Most us hate the new dc option buts its something will be forced to live with. (At least the fixed the echo ). Remember we are the few have this phone so if you want something done you pretty much got to do it yourself.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-10-09 06:46 PM
    i dont hate the DC option, why would you hate that? ive always waited on a nice phone to release from Nextel/IDEN
    12-11-09 01:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD