We are a company that has used nextel PTT for 10 or so years. Myself and my boss moved up to the 8150i this year and really enjoy the BB experience.

In the last few months I've started to feel that I'm tolerating my 8350i putting up with a number of shortcomings.

1. The PTT is somewhat flaky. The volume levels are never consistant. Sometimes the beep beep is soft, sometimes it's blaringly loud, sometimes is changes during the same conversation.

2. PTT in my area can be very sketchy making it somewhat useless.

3. Our reliance on PTT has changed over the years and while it was great for a long time, a text, email, or phone call can relay more valuable information

4. iDen phone service basically sucks in my area. I find myself not making calls when I'm on the road because I know that I'll have a bad experience. What's the sense of that?

So what am I left with? I love my BB but all things Nextel I can live without.

So, I'm starting to think that maybe I should switch to a sprint BB and get better phone service. Or maybe break my contract alltogether and move to Verizon for one of their BB's. I think I want to keep Wifi as a part of the phone, or maybe I can just live with 3G?

Comments...
    06-28-09 01:01 PM
    sounds like you want to keep your blackberry but you need another carrier besides iden.

i'll be honest, there is an iden tower near my home and another iden tower very close to my work. other carrier's signals are weak or non existent in those areas. i find myself using ptt less and less. if another carrier were to build towers near my home and work, i'd probably leave iden. until then i'm stuck. but, i will always have a blackberry.

sounds like it's time for you to look at other carriers and see what's out there.
    06-28-09 02:43 PM
    Sprints new blackberry tour is coming out in july. I think its gonna be a good time to switch

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-09 06:50 PM
    I love my 8350i
    06-28-09 07:30 PM
    I'll be looking at the tour when it comes out. It doesn't have WIFI which I think I should have, but maybe its not something I need. I think it's time to retire iden.
    06-28-09 08:22 PM
    I love my 8350i
    Best phone yet

06-28-09 09:07 PM
    I'm with you on the 8350i...best phone I've used, my wife has an 8330 and mine works smoother and sometimes just as fast as her 3g! As far as verizon, overpriced!!! They say better coverage but in my experience sprint is just as good! The 8350 has downsides but hardly any bugs, be grateful for that...maybe you just aren't BB material?

06-28-09 09:13 PM
    will the tour have push to talk?
    06-28-09 09:21 PM
    Switched from several years of plain Motorolas to my 1st BB a month ago & I love it

06-29-09 12:27 AM
    will the tour have push to talk?
    no it is a sprint BB, not Nextel|
    06-29-09 05:26 AM
    Oh, I think I'm BB material. I've had a bb since the 7100i and run BES to synch our outlook installation. I'm all about BB.

It's the "Nextel" part that I'm complaining about. I'm a PTT guy from way back including the nextel's that had the great motorola cradles for the car that gave antenna, power, PTT buttton, speaker etc. Now that was useful.

My biggest problem with my 8350i is that in my area I can't even make a phone call without losing the call within a minute or 2 and have you ever had the situation where your VM notification goes off but the phone never rang. That's just about every call for me.

So if my 8350i can't even function as a phone, then what good is it to me? Also, I did a reset on Sunday and all of a sudden got a text message from 5pm the day before. C'mon... This is so great?

I love my BB, it's nextel that's failing me.
    06-29-09 07:26 AM
    iden IS bad. I have the same issue with phone calls, but making 40-50 PTT a day I have no choice. Verizons push to talk has been talked about but they do not have a BB PTT yet. I have been dealing with this for so long I now all the dead spots, so I have to wait to make phone calls. I get about a dozen voice mails a day due to no reception. This is in the Boston area, There is an area where 2 major hiways intersec and there is no signal...all you can do is laugh, nextel has us over a barrel
    06-29-09 08:11 AM
    If you really don't need ptt then wait a month and get the Tour. If you have to use ptt, I would buy a used 870i or comparable and get a curve from ebay then you will have the best of both worlds.
    I for one really don't have any issues anymore with my 8350 that I had in December, it was a terrible experience, but I have superb iden coverage in my area so that may be one reason
    06-29-09 09:21 AM
    My biggest problem with my 8350i is that in my area I can't even make a phone call without losing the call within a minute or 2 and have you ever had the situation where your VM notification goes off but the phone never rang. That's just about every call for me.
    Yup; you are a victim of the disrepair that the iDen backbone has been allowed to fall into. Blame all the money they didn't spend, and all those Boost customers at $50 apiece. :-)
    06-29-09 01:37 PM
    Everyone who's been a nextel customer will remember the summer of 06 when it was darn near impossible to make/receive a phone call and PTT was almost as bad. Those were dark days. I feel (for me at least) that I'm back there. I was a huge proponent of iden but things have changed for me and I no longer rely on it like I used to. Put that with lousy phone coverage and a move to more reliable service is in order. I will keep an eye out for the tour. i guess with 3g than there is not really a need for wifi, but I'm kinda hesitent to have a BB without it. At least my slingplayer worked great with wifi.

Roveer
    06-29-09 04:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD