View Poll Results: Would you buy a new version of PlayBook?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, definitely

11 37.93%
  • Yes, but only if...

11 37.93%
  • Never

7 24.14%
06-09-15 06:38 PM
53 123
tools
    No. Not necessarily because the PlayBook was abandoned, but because in my household we have a, PlayBook, iPad and a Samsung tablet that never get used.

My wife and two kids all have smartphones and when they aren't using them, they are on their laptops or smart tv's. All the tablets sit on the table not being used. When traveling they prefer to just take their smartphones.

Posted via CB10 - Z10 'Powered by BlackBerry'
    05-30-15 11:30 PM
    I will because ios and android sucks in multitasking.

example : yesterday using my new tablet and find out that playing a radio app in the background opening blend for chatting my friends the app stops playing ? So I download spotify and did the same. The music stops after the buffer runs dry ? So maybe it was blend and test it with the browser reading some news but spotify just stops? That's why you find out the OS is outdated, it's like DOS comparing with withdows 95.

I also missed swipping and active frames instead pressing the whole time the home button ,back and finding an open app that much restart again. It's so weird that in 2 years time Android is still so far behind BBOS or Windows , same is for ios in uses.

The only good thing of ios and android are the apps you think, but your wrong because they all collecting data and android with play services also collecting data how you use the app etc. there will be some app control in Android M in the future but still it's

The same with Whatsapp and facebook . You only care if you get hit from the past about what you write down or what your send. That is the moment that people find a new job and don't get it because they used drugs or party a lot a few years ago or they trying to find out what kind of person you are and deselecting you for a step up in your job.

It happens and more than people think an that is why I choice BlackBerry Apps and BBM and not that they don't know my phone number or email adress but just they don't get my profile for sale.

O and the Question about a tablet, Yes I really love to have an BB Tablet or Samsung,sony,LG tablet with BBOS10
    05-31-15 02:36 AM
    It would need to be big, like ipad size, coz small tablet sales are hurting (as well as general tablet sales but I think there's a place for them), as phones get bigger people will want to have a big tablet so they can convince themselves they haven't paid for the same thing twice.

I completely trust BlackBerry to make another tablet and not screw it up, they've got a lot of mistakes to learn from they should know how to do it right this time, (e.g. Future proofing the tablet for any potential change in the os)

To be honest though would rather see a watch first than a tablet

Check Out TechCraze
    05-31-15 04:36 AM
    Another good point in using a BB tablet is the following:

I personally don't like big phones. I carry my phone in my pants' pockets and I don't have really big hands. So for me it's more convenient to handle a rather small phone (Z10 size is perfect) than a Z30. Still when I'm at home, or on a trip or something I can use the tablet with the exact same apps, but on a rather big screen. I think that's a plus. At least for me
    05-31-15 05:02 AM
    I will because ios and android sucks in multitasking.
    Funny you mention that... compared to Tablet OS, BB10 isn't that great either.

Tablet OS can have as many apps running as memory can handle (BB10 is stuck at 8) and they are all actually running (BB10 freezes them).

We love BB10, but let's be honest, the original PlayBook was (and still is) the real multitasking king.

Posted via CB10
    BanffMoose and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    05-31-15 07:35 AM
    Funny you mention that... compared to Tablet OS, BB10 isn't that great either.

Tablet OS can have as many apps running as memory can handle (BB10 is stuck at 8) and they are all actually running (BB10 freezes them).

We love BB10, but let's be honest, the original PlayBook was (and still is) the real multitasking king.

Posted via CB10
    BB10 freezes them? Lol what do you mean? Youtube videos keep playing, active frames can show seconds changing, how exactly does it freeze the app?

Check Out TechCraze
    05-31-15 07:43 AM
    I mostly have max 5 apps so 8 will be enough
    05-31-15 08:29 AM
    Didn't even know about the limitation. Probably because there was never a need to use this much different apps – all at once...
    05-31-15 09:22 AM
    BB10 freezes them? Lol what do you mean? Youtube videos keep playing, active frames can show seconds changing, how exactly does it freeze the app?
    I may have used the wrong word. Freeze as in go into standby till you get back to it. It's the default for the OS.

You are right, browser and video apps usually come stock set to keep on playing, but other apps don't. They simply halt till you go back in.

An active frame is nice too, but it does not equal app doing what it was doing when maximazed, while many PlayBook apps would just keep going no matter what (the OS even had a switch to have that as the default). And honest, if an app does not have an active frame, then it just sits there with a still shot of the last thing the app had to show.

I mostly have max 5 apps so 8 will be enough
    Oh I don't go over four on a usual day, but when I go into full throttle I am moving through 6-8 apps at a time (was hoping WorkWide could help there but till I can use it on portrait, it is just a gimmick).

I miss having 12 apps open on the PlayBook, all doing their thing non stop. I also miss swiping left/right to move between apps.

Oh well. :/
    05-31-15 03:22 PM
    None of you have mentioned the Microsoft Surface Pro 3. This thing is the real deal and I came very close to getting one. It's a tablet that runs the desktop Windows and has a touch interface and detachable keyboard. It's good I promise.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-15 03:26 PM
    None of you have mentioned the Microsoft Surface Pro 3. This thing is the real deal and I came very close to getting one. It's a tablet that runs the desktop Windows and has a touch interface and detachable keyboard. It's good I promise.

Posted via CB10
    Less tablet more portable laptop don't you think? I think there's a need for something in between a laptop and a phone, something functional and relatively cheap, sort of like a tablet version of the chromebook but not as useless, basically to allow things like powerpoint creation on the go etc. Plus all the blend/bridge awesomeness, flog to businesses as a laptop companion rather than killer , physically sturdy too so it can be thrown around and stuff, light, crazy battery life and a keyboard with it

Check Out TechCraze
    05-31-15 07:25 PM
    For myself: I think BB could make a fantastic tablet, if they just move OS 10 to the Tablet. The features, including the hub and the possibility to use Android apps is all I need. And of cause a good update policy, but I think since OS 10, that's really well done, so this should be true for a BB tablet, too.
    Agree completely
    05-31-15 08:34 PM
    Definitely yes, but as long as there is BB Bridge to it. It is a shame BB didn't make it 100% compatible with the BB10 or with any other platforms. Best tablet security, once link broken, no data stored.
    05-31-15 08:58 PM
    I'm still angry over the PlayBook fiasco so no I wouldn't.

I still think a new PlayBook should be created though....the gestures on the PB were brilliant I just wish they put more love into it.
    06-01-15 05:21 AM
    USB OTG + Blend + MirrorLink.
    I ('ll) buy it now.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    06-01-15 05:36 AM
    Yeah but there are things from the PlayBook OS I still find pleasant that are void from BB10. the side swiping between active apps, tossing up to close them, and diagnol swipes are intuitive on the tablet (could be due to giant bezels on what feels to me like an ahead of its time though an older piece of tech now PlayBook).

I wouldn't mind having a tablet OS if it could bring in and incorporate full features of and ran with full BB10 compatibility. "PlayBook OS 3" with a hub and BB10 apps would be interesting
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    06-01-15 07:31 AM
    I think swiping to get to the "left" app can't be implemented anymore. Lot's of apps use this swipe to go one step back, or (especially Android apps) go to some sort of settings / overview menu. So there's probably a reason for why they don't use the swipe-app-switch anymore.
    06-01-15 09:38 AM
    Does this nor already exist with the SecuSmart tablet using Android OS?

BlackBerry, accept no substitute nor compromise!
    06-01-15 09:57 AM
    Not the same price range than expected, I believe. Rumored to be in the $5K range for "hyper secure" enterprise stuff, AFAIK.
    06-01-15 11:21 AM
    Yes definately, use my current everyday and still love the solid feel of it.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-15 09:16 AM
    Less tablet more portable laptop don't you think? I think there's a need for something in between a laptop and a phone, something functional and relatively cheap, sort of like a tablet version of the chromebook but not as useless, basically to allow things like powerpoint creation on the go etc. Plus all the blend/bridge awesomeness, flog to businesses as a laptop companion rather than killer , physically sturdy too so it can be thrown around and stuff, light, crazy battery life and a keyboard with it

Check Out TechCraze
    That is the point... it does everything a laptop does, but it is a tablet.

I got a cheaper Windows Tablet ($169 10" NextBook) on Black Friday, to replace my aging PlayBook. And I LOVE it! While the Microsoft Ecosystem suffers (not nearly as badly as BB10), I just don't need Apps to do everything on my Windows Tablet like I do on my phone.

Full Word, Full Excel, Full Outlook, Full Browser (biggest complaint with the PlayBook was the checkerboarding Browser that didn't work with many sites)... connects to printers, Network Storage and to my other PC with not issues. And with an HDMI port and full USB ports it can become a desktop computer when connected to a monitor, keyboard and mouse...

I do have to limit my multitasking a little and I don't install apps like LINK that are resource hogs.... but I'm pretty impressed with what Windows 8.1 (and Windows 10) on minimum hardware can do. Not sure what my next Smartphone will be, but I see no future in the Tablet market for BlackBerry.
    06-02-15 09:56 AM
    I know that's the point of the windows 'tablet' but I don't think that's the direction BlackBerry could or should go when they launch a tablet, I think it should be for an extremely specific purpose rather than just 'replace laptop' it shouldn't look at the laptop it should look at how people work in smb and see how it can help improve their experience, and smb I would say want something cost-effective, secure and reliable

Check Out TechCraze
    06-02-15 10:49 AM
    If BlackBerry made the Passport Touch why would you need a tablet?

Posted via CB10
    06-05-15 07:45 AM
    If BlackBerry made the Passport Touch why would you need a tablet?

Posted via CB10
    Looool

Wait, you're serious?

Check Out TechCraze
    06-05-15 07:47 AM
    If it will have OS 10 and have the same building quality than definitely yes.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-15 02:15 PM
53 123