10-21-19 11:06 AM
61 123
tools
    In my opinion BBOS should never have been scraped. The platform was resource efficient, extendable and expandable. Anyone with Java experience can write apps. BBOS was also practical and had most of everything needed built in; of which comparable functions have to be added with overhead apps on the other major platforms. BB10, while having merits pretended to be the same approach found with iOS and Android. You compete by being different. Offering a different product to address demand that maybe different from the general public (ie, Government and Business now sucks to the whim of options available to general public's manufactured demand of more and more and more.) Now all the options meet demand of the general public, so you choose between an Apple or an Orange, both fruits--the orange being a juicy mess (Android) and the Apple being something you bite into once and get poisoned into the cult of "perfection." How a BlackBerry becomes an Orange is a marketing evolution of great blunder.

My Pipe Dream is in Samsung and BlackBerry branding agreements that can sometime soon introduce a smart phone that answers to the demand cries of the old BBOS approach:

1. To fit in the palm of the hand and be able to type with one hand.
    2. To have a removable battery and create a market for extended batteries.
    3. To not rely operation on touch alone. A non touch smart phone maybe ideal.
    4. Thumb pad to change cursor position up/down/right/left with [Enter] at a press.
    5. A revamped option for BIS through AWS or the standard carrier Mobile Internet. The AWS BIS option would cap off at 3G speed and have a monthly data limit.

When I start seeing everyone buying $3,000 cell phones because they want to upgrade from 4k screens to 8k screens, I'll bury myself under a rock again and cry.

Everything reasonable can be done with just 480 lines of resolution and a monthly limit of 2GB if data compression is used.

Appreciate for what you can do with less. Less mess, more function.

It is time to crack the market glut and expose it for what it is.

How I remember the old BlackBerry: Low carbs, boosts memory function and without the fat:
    What is your Samsung + BlackBerry Pipe Dream?-blackberries.png

This is my Samsung/BB pipe dream, what is yours?
    10-15-19 06:37 PM
    10-15-19 06:49 PM
    BBOS was not extendable or expandable. It was up against the code wall for a long time - hence the hourglass. They squeezed more from it than they had any right to.

But if you're talking simple, then why would they need BlackBerry? Just take a modern OS and scale it. KaiOS and Punkt are two examples of scaled-down OSes - Firefox OS and Android.
    Last edited by conite; 10-16-19 at 09:41 AM.
    10-15-19 07:06 PM
    BBOS was not extendable or expandable. It was up against the code wall for a long time - hence the hourglass. They squeezed more form it than they had any right to.

But if you're talking simple, then why would they need BlackBerry? Just take a modern OS and scale it. KaiOS and Punkt are two examples of scaled-down OSes - Firefox OS and Android.
    JIOPHONE 2 fits the bill. Wondering if India bands are compatible to those used by T-Mobile US.
    10-15-19 07:30 PM
    JIOPHONE 2 fits the bill. Wondering if India bands are compatible to those used by T-Mobile US.
    That's a KaiOS device.

If studies show that US customers would want it, it will come faster than lightning.
    10-15-19 07:32 PM
    That's a KaiOS device.

If studies show that US customers would want it, it will come faster than lightning.
    I will write them. Thank you.
    10-15-19 07:35 PM
    I will write them. Thank you.
    Write them?

Don't worry, there are far greater powers at work in this arena - and they aren't hinging on getting an email from a single potential customer.
    10-15-19 07:51 PM
    Write them?

Don't worry, there are far greater powers at work in this arena - and they aren't hinging on getting an email from a single potential customer.
    I just asked them if US and or global market is on the table yet.
    10-15-19 07:54 PM
    I just asked them if US and or global market is on the table yet.
    OK. But it probably wouldn't be them. Someone else would likely get the rights for N.A.
    10-15-19 08:09 PM
    (moved to "BlackBerry Concepts & Dream Devices")
    10-15-19 09:00 PM
    If JIO phone have chosen BB10 os there was a chance it may became popular in India. Jio has shown their ability in completely winning against its competitors in mostly all business they did.
    10-16-19 08:35 AM
    Many businesses and academic institutions are reliant on apps these days. Can they really be coded with Java to meet technical needs?
    10-16-19 08:43 AM
    If JIO phone have chosen BB10 os there was a chance it may became popular in India. Jio has shown their ability in completely winning against its competitors in mostly all business they did.
    That's a pipe dream....

BB10 won't run on basic hardware - nor any modern hardware... So enough RAM for BB10 with custom Hardware Drivers would have drove the hardware side of the Jio Phone 2 WAY, WAY up.

Development... someone has to pay for BB10 development, even if it's minimum. Sell 10 million phones it might be cheap. Sell 100K phones it might be VERY expensive.

BlackBerry Profit... they do nothing for free.

Bottom line BlackBerry's Z3 was about as cheap as anyone was going to get with BB10.

KaiOS and Android don't have to worry about BB10.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    10-16-19 09:14 AM
    Many businesses and academic institutions are reliant on apps these days. Can they really be coded with Java to meet technical needs?
    Android is pretty much java base coded. People don’t really care about what code, as long as they can use the apps and features they need, they’ll buy the phone..
    10-16-19 08:29 PM
    Android is pretty much java base coded. People don’t really care about what code, as long as they can use the apps and features they need, they’ll buy the phone..
    I am not worried about the people. I am worried from the tech side. And who are all these people who will risk their time and income to make these apps?
    10-16-19 08:33 PM
    BBOS was not extendable or expandable. It was up against the code wall for a long time - hence the hourglass. They squeezed more from it than they had any right to.

One word: email.

Give us a Punkt-style phone with a VKB/PKB and full email, calendar, contacts, notes and tasks capability with GSuite and MS Exchange and we'll live without third party apps.

But no one here is asking for a Punkt-style feature phone.

None of us

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    10-16-19 08:43 PM

Give us a Punkt-style phone with a VKB/PKB and full email, calendar, contacts, notes and tasks capability with GSuite and MS Exchange and we'll live without third party apps.

None of us

You don't need BlackBerry/BBOS for that.

As I said, you can scale an existing, modern, supported OS instead.
    10-16-19 08:48 PM

None of us

So this would be personal then? And many professionals couldn't use it for work I bet.
    10-16-19 08:55 PM
    You don't need BlackBerry/BBOS for that.

As I said, you can scale an existing, modern, supported OS instead.
    I hear you, but the issue is IP and UX. BlackBerry was GOOD at those things, unlike almost every other OS since PalmOS!

First, I think this is all fantasy, so I don't want to hear about pragmatic considerations.

Second, I don't have any faith in any company in existence today to design the UX that would be as good as BBOS/BB10 was. BlackBerry had a core customer base of enterprise IT people who cared more about productivity and usability than any of the OEM or software companies in mobile today.

Today, everyone sees the mobile platform as an open marketplace in which they compete to commercialize end users. I don't see that changing, unfortunately.

10-16-19 08:58 PM
    So this would be personal then? And many professionals couldn't use it for work I bet.
    Not personal for me. I don't really use a phone for personal use anymore.

I need a phone to run my business when I'm away from my desk so I can maximize communications with clients and prospects. I use lots of new technologies, but I don't need them in my phone.

10-16-19 09:02 PM
    Not personal for me. I don't really use a phone for personal use anymore.

I need a phone to run my business when I'm away from my desk so I can maximize communications with clients and prospects. I use lots of new technologies, but I don't need them in my phone.

Yes, "your" business. But not the majority of people that work for someone else whose IT department wouldn't touch this.
    10-16-19 09:03 PM
    Yes, "your" business. But not the majority of people that work for someone else whose IT department wouldn't touch this.
    I understand this is fantasy. As I've said.

10-16-19 09:05 PM
    I understand this is fantasy. As I've said.

Sorry, I know you wish it true. I have also loved my BlackBerry phones.

That being said, many professions do use apps so creating such a phone may not sway many people.
    10-16-19 09:07 PM
    I hear you, but the issue is IP and UX. BlackBerry was GOOD at those things, unlike almost every other OS since PalmOS!
    You don't need BBOS (or BB10 for that matter) in order to design a functional email/SMS device, even according to your UX requirements. There is nothing fundamentally required from the underlying platform, and nothing inherently better about BBOS.

So, back to my original position, why not start from something that works on current hardware and is supported and actively developed?

My example of Punkt simply showcases how much you can vary the UX. Most of its users would be completely unaware that it was in fact based on Android.
    10-16-19 09:13 PM
    Sorry, I know you wish it true. I have also loved my BlackBerry phones.

That being said, many professions do use apps so creating such a phone may not sway many people.
    I am well aware of how enterprise IT solutions work. I spend my days discussing information security strategy with fast-growing public companies. No enterprise I've spoken to believes that mobile is going to change. They are adapting to a "zero-trust" model where they accept that mobile endpoints are essentially unsecurable. Instead, they focus on data segregation, access control, containerization, and AI monitoring.

Thankfully, I can avoid many of these issues on BB10.

Last edited by bb10adopter111; 10-18-19 at 12:00 PM.
    10-16-19 09:18 PM
61 123