Physical or touch keyboard? BBOS, BB10, or Android? What type of camera? Processor? Other specs?

Sound off in the thread below, eager to hear what y'all come up with!
    12-02-16 04:48 PM
    At the moment it's an officially announced version of the rumored Mercury device.
    12-02-16 05:02 PM
    BlackBerry Passport Touch (Z50):
    5.25" QuadHD 4:3 AMOLED display with Corning Gorilla Glass 4
    Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 Processor
    4GB RAM
    64GB Internal Storage / MicroSD slot / Dual-SIM Support
    18MP 4K Rear Camera with dual-LED flash, auto-focus, optical image stabilization, and slow motion video (slightly improved from Priv)
    8MP 1080p/60fps wide-angle Front Camera with optical image stabilization, auto-focus, and flash
    Running BB10.4 or Android 7.1 (autoloaders and ~24 months of support/updates for both)
    QI/PMA Inductive Charging
    Carbon Fiber Weave Back
    3400mAH removable battery
    Paratek Antenna
    Miracast / Wi-Fi Direct Support
    FM Radio
    USB Type-C with Quick Charge 3.0 (supports OTG+HDMI as standard)
    NFC
    IR Blaster
    Convenience key (user selectable but defaults to press and hold for camera/double tap for flashlight)
    BlackBerry capacitive toolbelt (user selectable based on OS/user selectable based on os/trackpad+Fingerprint sensor/user selectable based on OS)
    chuckiev79, Loc22 and JLOforshort like this.
    12-02-16 05:13 PM
    4GB RAM
    18MP 4K Rear Camera with dual-LED flash, auto-focus, optical image stabilization, and slow motion video (slightly improved from Priv)
    8MP 1080p/60fps wide-angle Front Camera with optical image stabilization, auto-focus, and flash
    Running BB10.4 or Android 7.1 (autoloaders and ~24 months of support/updates for both)
    Carbon Fiber Weave Back
    Paratek Antenna
    FM Radio
    NFC
    IR Blaster
    Convenience key (user selectable but defaults to press and hold for camera/double tap for flashlight)
    BlackBerry capacitive toolbelt (user selectable based on OS/user selectable based on os/trackpad+Fingerprint sensor/user selectable based on OS)
    Everything you said but landscape qwerty as well and android.
    Last edited by chuckiev79; 12-02-16 at 05:23 PM. Reason: No
    12-02-16 05:22 PM
    4GB RAM
    Carbon Fiber Weave Back
    Paratek Antenna
    FM Radio
    NFC
    IR Blaster
    Everything you mentioned but running on BlackBerry 10 please. I'm done with Android. It's really not intuitive at all.
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    12-02-16 07:27 PM
    A DTEK60 on Nougat...
    12-02-16 10:21 PM
    Speed and shortcuts of OS7, gestures/hub/reliability of BB10, having the apps and services of Android (with Google Now being an up left swipe). Wrap this up in a 9900 with a better camera, bigger battery, better processor and RAM, USB-C, better resolution with a 1:1 ratio, and I'd be a happy man.
    Last edited by ominaxe; 12-03-16 at 01:43 AM.
    12-03-16 01:22 AM
    Passport with slightly better hardware specs and android VM capable of running google services.
    12-03-16 12:05 PM
    One side would be like a classic. Flip over an the other side would be standard slab with no PKB

Posted via CB10
    12-03-16 02:53 PM
    A DTEK60 on Nougat...
    I suspect you're not alone there...
    12-03-16 08:40 PM
    A DTEK60 on Nougat...
    Soon
    12-03-16 08:47 PM
    Soon™
    10.3.3 soon or Duke Nukem Forever soon?
    xandros9 likes this.
    12-03-16 08:54 PM
    BOLD 9900 (Re-Released with BBOS10)

Specs?
    I'll be happy with

6GB RAM
    Quad/Octo CPU (depends what they'll get)
    SD CARD for SDXC
    Dual Sim
    12-04-16 07:52 PM
    We actually have them both in December 2016. Thats why its so cold in the northeast right now. Hell Froze Over!
    12-17-16 12:48 AM
    BOLD 9900 (Re-Released with BBOS10)
    Agree! 9900 was the perfect form factor and design. Re-release it with current mid-range specs, a decent battery, and android/bb10 and it would be my dream device.

Love my Classic, but 9900 was a little smaller (perfect size) and slightly sharper design IMO.

 C L A S S I C
    12-18-16 09:47 PM
    Battery life would be the key for me. Has to have an insane battery.
    12-20-16 11:15 AM
    I'm having a tough time deciding so many options!

OS: probably Android. I love certain things about BB10, but without developers, it's tough to grow with BB10 as a base.
    That being said, Android operating system can can be improved significantly! Take all the strong points of BB10, and carry them over. I'm talking about things the BB10 OS has that are built right in. Like everything from media server functionality, to custom notifications with LED controls

For the internals: i'd like them to be flagship quality. I'm starting wish I had more power inside of my Classic.

Form: I think my ideal form factor would be a slider, almost identical to the Priv. (I love the size and layout of the Classic, so that design would be a close second).
    I chose the widescreen of the Priv over the Classic, so I could watch videos in landscape. That is one small thing i'm missing from my Classic.

Tune ups: if we start with the slider as a base and work up from there, i'd make the sure the new phone has:

-have 2 programmable convenience keys. One on either side.
    - the volume up/down buttons on the right side, with a mute key between them. A long-press of the volume keys would play next/previous tracks. The mute key would play/pause. A long press of the mute key would open voice commands.
    -videos and music need to play when the device is locked and the screen is off
    -the touch-capacitive keyboard would be identical to the stellar quality of the Classic's keyboard. Same firmness, same response to button presses. Just scale the Classics keyboard to fit within the width of the slider form factor.
    -the touch capacitive keyboard should be properly integrated. Basically think: you can perform this gesture on a touchscreen, then make that command function if you choose to input that command through the keyboard. Like pinch to zoom. Scrolling within a zoomed screen. Swiping next and previous on images.
    -the toolbet! Place this above the keyboard, below the touchscreen. There is nothing on the entire planet that can beat the accuracy and speed of a toolbelt. Shift + scrolling will replace any block of text I need to overwrite. And that is important to me.
    The  menu key will act to open menus within the OS. On the homescreen, it will perform the swipe-from-the-top-of-the-screen gesture. Long-press the  menu key at any time to perform the swipe-from-the-top-command.
    Long-press the back key can be used to open all the recently used applications. When viewing the recent applications, hitting the back key again can perform the close-all command.
    The end key returns to the home screen at any time.
    -The end key overrides any command at any time. It closes the current process and returns you to the home screen. It's important to also ensure the end key immediately ends the phone call while in a conversation.
    -trackpad! Make this function with consistency and quality that the trackpad functioned on the old Bolds. With the Classic, there have been a couple instances where I have attempted to move the cursor to an icon in a menu, and I was unable to do so without scrolling to the top of the page before the cursor jumped to the icons at the top of the screen. (note: the way CB10 enables me to move to the icons with alt+trackpad is a great idea).
    The trackpad must also have a cursor on the homescreen, like the Bolds and Classic do.
    -delete the on-screen triangle/circle/square. The whole point of having a widescreen phone, is to maintain that 16:9 ratio. Stop crowding it and shoving things in where they don't belong. Instead, integrate them into the toolbelt. The square button could be a longpress of the back key. And the home key could be the end key.

-hub. This baby is a great tool. Keep the hub located one screen to the left of the home screen. Also enable access to the hub at any time by the swipe up and to the right gesture.
    -big speakers. I have my phone in my jacket chest pocket at work all day. I like having music on all the time.
    -Shortcuts!!!! Look back to BBOS and copy all those shortcuts into this new phone. When i'm looking at photos, I can use N and P for next and previous. The same applies within the browser. S for stop. F for find. I for zooming in. O for out. Etc etc
    -long-press shortcuts. Like on BB10. That was a sweet idea. But have more options for what a long press can do. Eg: don't just open the music application, actually start playing all songs when I long-press M from the home screen.
    -bb assistant. It's SO handy to simply start typing for what I want. The assistant is easily my most used application. From the home screen, I type the name of the file, open it, send it. If I wish to text someone I just type their name. Super fast stuff.

Thanks for reading. I'm sure I will think of more.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-16 12:14 PM
    Perfect device? Let the pipe dream begin!

Form Factor: Slider + Candy Bar (like Priv or Torch)
    Screen: 5.4" inch with QHD resolution.
    RAM: 4GB
    Processor: Snapdragon 835
    Storage: 128 GB
    Battery: 4,000mAh
    Camera: 12mp with F1.4 (Rear) and 2mp (front)

At around $699 would be awesome.

Posted Via BlackBerry Q5
    01-01-17 03:25 PM
    Form factor : Qwerty phone
    Screen : 4.5" 1080p
    SoC : SD 835
    RAM : 6 GB
    Storage : 64 GB with micro SD card support
    Battery : 4000 mAH
    Main Camera : 41 MP Lumia 1020 camera with Zeiss lens and xenon flash
    Front Camera : 8 MP with again large aperture
    Fingerprint sensor on the space bar
    On screen navigation buttons
    Call end and reply buttons appointable on the keyboard
    Double speakers
    High resolution sound DAC
    Grippy back
    Metal frames and keyboard frets
    Bluetooth 5.0
    Piezoelectric earpiece so no speaker grill for the earpiece (like Xiaomi mi mix)
    Curved screen (I like it sorry people )
    Fast wireless charging
    Water and dust resistance ip68 certified
    Nice launch bundle

850 $ plus tax
    01-01-17 04:49 PM
    Frankly it would be a smaller Priv. Maybe in the 5" or smaller range.

The keyboard could be clickier, the display could be an LCD instead of OLED (personal preference) and a removable battery would be nice but otherwise it ticks the boxes.

And if parts were cheaper and easier to source that'll be a plus. A Priv display assembly runs something like $300.
    01-02-17 10:43 PM
    Symetium

Posted via CB10
    01-10-17 12:38 AM
    Perfect device? Let the pipe dream begin!

Form Factor: Slider + Candy Bar (like Priv or Torch)
    Screen: 5.4" inch with QHD resolution.
    RAM: 4GB
    Processor: Snapdragon 835
    Storage: 128 GB
    Battery: 4,000mAh
    Camera: 12mp with F1.4 (Rear) and 2mp (front)

At around $699 would be awesome.

Posted Via BlackBerry Q5
    Isn't that almost exactly like the priv but with slightly higher specs?

 C L A S S I C
    01-10-17 07:21 PM