Now that bezel-less is a thing, was wondering if the BB Passport (OG, SE, ATT) was to lose the top bezel completely (with an optional notch if switched to OLED) while keeping the outside dimensions, would it land it into Google's preffered aspect ratioring, I understand it may not be enough but....?

Don't have a concept render but will try rough up a sketch soon or perhaps anyone here can tickle our imagination.
    05-23-18 04:40 AM
    It still looks great the way it is. The original sweet design has never been duplicated.
    Please, not talk about notches. I only keep those on my belt.
    Just my thoughts.
    05-23-18 08:38 AM
    yeah Android is not supporting 1:1 aspect ratio, so a 4:3 bezel less Screen would be awesome!
    11-02-18 01:19 PM
    Now that bezel-less is a thing, was wondering if the BB Passport (OG, SE, ATT) was to lose the top bezel completely (with an optional notch if switched to OLED) while keeping the outside dimensions, would it land it into Google's preffered aspect ratioring, I understand it may not be enough but....?

Don't have a concept render but will try rough up a sketch soon or perhaps anyone here can tickle our imagination.
    the "squarest" display you're going to get is 4:3 and keeping identical proportions with the least amount of bezel you can get, 4:3 simply does not fit without it having grotesque side bezels on the display, we tolerate (or use to) top/bottom bezel but not too much side bezels. it would look like some internal alpha testing device and not suited for market. The device would have to be either taller or not as wide for it to accomodate a 4:3 display which is sort of what the key series is.

The Passport I think is the best example of a BB10 device there is and it stands as a masterpiece of it's era but I think it was a mistake for BB to focus on non-traditional displays and they should have stoped at 4:3. Not that it would have saved the company, but they didn't even have have much historical precedence for a square display. I think there are a handful of very early devices that had square displays but largely they were all 4:3. if they kept 4:3 at the very least these devices would be more transferable into an android space.

I honestly think the passport was a tribute device and was never intended to save the company but rather see it go down with one last device that would be a testament of what the company was and the passport does indeed reflect that.

I did a very quick visual so you can see what I'm talking about using the SE as the base model.
    What if the BB-PP was top bezel-less with a notch running Android?-43passport.jpg
    Last edited by DamianWarS; 12-07-18 at 09:47 AM.
    12-07-18 09:34 AM