04-10-14 12:49 PM
33 12
tools
    Dual-sided Blackberry concept phone: Want both a full touch screen phone and a physical keyboard, without significant bulk or size? Why not? Here are two pics of the front sides of a new "TwinBerry" concept. One front side has a full touch screen, and the other front side has a physical keyboard. Just flip the phone to choose whatever side is right for the moment. Simple, well weighted, bumper case compatible, wouldn't add much thickness, and could also be done on a tablet. Have your cake and eat it too! (BTW, I've seen some great looking concepts on the forum. Anyone interested in producing a better looking version? Go for it.)
    Attached Thumbnails Twinberry - the idea that could save Blackberry-twinberry.jpg  
    03-26-14 07:52 PM
    Not so sure this would be very thin after all............
    D_Gui and pystha like this.
    03-26-14 08:18 PM
    I actually like this idea. Battery would have to be built in, and things like SD card and sim would have to be inserted along the sides like iPhone (sim card at least haha) Headphone jack can still be on the top or bottom.

Could be a hardware switch or intelligent software paired up with a sensor to detect which side using, so no accidental activations of the screen. It might not be a thin device but it could be possible.

Might also be an expensive device to fix when you break both screens! Gorilla glass?

Might be better to call it the Blackberry Twin. But that's just my opinion!

Posted via CB10 on my awesome new Z30!
    NG888 likes this.
    03-26-14 09:39 PM
    Will this phone fix the problem with the PIN watermarks in 10.3?
    higherdestiny likes this.
    03-26-14 09:43 PM
    Not bad at all.
    03-26-14 11:13 PM
    Please no, haha
    D_Gui likes this.
    03-26-14 11:14 PM
    Please no, haha
    Also could we have a keyboard on the top side of the keyboard side of the phone. This way you could flip the phone upside down and still have a keyboard.

And if we put keyboards on both sides as well we can use landscape mode.
    03-27-14 12:08 AM
    Also could we have a keyboard on the top side of the keyboard side of the phone. This way you could flip the phone upside down and still have a keyboard.

Too funny
    03-27-14 01:16 AM
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm do I like it?

Powered by Blackberry
    03-27-14 01:25 AM
    This is actually nice!

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 01:26 AM

This cracked me up :-D
    03-27-14 01:31 AM
    One question. How do you put this thing down?

Posted via CB10
    pystha likes this.
    03-27-14 01:35 AM
    This format factor proved to be a failure with other phone brands...
    Today's phones drain too much battery and that forms would suck the battery twice as fast

From my White Z30
    03-27-14 01:43 AM
    I love it, best of both worlds.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 01:44 AM
    No offense but I hope you placed this here as a joke and not as a serious idea. First the phone would be thick and heavy. Think about taking a Z10 and placing it on top of a Q10. While you wouldn't need two batteries, CPUs, or GPUs it would still be so thick and heave from the two displays and the keyboard on the one side plus the massive battery that would have to power this thing it would just make it impractical.

Next as I believe someone mentioned earlier on this thread how would you put it down? Either way you set the phone down it will be resting on a screen or on the keyboard. And if it's on the keyboard it won't lay perfectly flat on a table (like the Nokia 1020's "Oreo" problem).

Next problem cost. With the added cost of the extra display and everything that goes along with it the phone would have to be priced something like the Note 3 if it were trying to have high end specs "$300 on contract in the states) and that price for this phone the only ones that would be out on the market are the ones given to reviewers or a very few diehard BlackBerry fans who just buy every BlackBerry model that comes out.

I see what you're trying to do here: making a phone that has the best of both worlds, work and play, business and media, but companies have tried the duel screen thing before and all of those phones have flopped. If you really want some constructive criticism if you still want to go with this work and play phone my advice is a portrait slider.

Posted via CB10
    DYLANHABKIRK likes this.
    03-27-14 02:32 AM
    One question. How do you put this thing down?
    I am guessing it floats?
    03-27-14 06:27 AM
    I am guessing it floats?
    Nope! A good suggestion is to coat the surface with true anti-scratch hard coating! So no matter how you put your phones and how you use it, the screen remains clean and clear! Just like the CAT B15 touch screen! This suggestion I think is the most realistic one!

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 09:11 AM
    This gave us the options of having dual screen as well as I wanted a QWERTY keyboard and when I wanted a full touch screen! Just let those sim and sd card slot in at the side.. non removable big battery.. I wouldn't mind if it is thicker.. Then equipped with Paratek Antenna.. This would be really really nice! This is awesome!!

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 09:14 AM
    I am fairly sure that a lot of the reservations the community has on such a device can be addressed by BB.

As I said above, I'm for it.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 09:45 AM
    I hope this is a joke.. on many levels

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 01:23 PM
    If you want the best of both worlds the why stop with a BB10 touchscreen on the back? A more versatile and efficient solution would be to simply make a case that accepts a keyboard BB10 smartphone on one side and an iPod Touch on the other with a personal hotspot connection to the smartphone. That would truly be the best of both worlds.
    D_Gui likes this.
    03-27-14 01:30 PM
    I hope this is a joke.. on many levels

Posted via CB10
    DYLANHABKIRK likes this.
    03-27-14 01:49 PM
    LMAO You're kidding, right?
    03-27-14 07:10 PM
    Good concerns brought up all around. Here are some answers:

Access to the things on the back (Batteries, SIMs, etc.): As already mentioned in the replies, everything could be accessible from the side.) The only thing on the back of an iPhone is the camera and flash way up in a corner. (BTW, removing two tiny screws can usually open an iPhones right up.) So only good engineering needed.

Battery drain: I would suspect that a user only uses one side at a time. So you are not powering two sides. If a user wants two sides on at the same time, the keyboard side could be E Ink, which has insignificant battery drain. Likewise, a mechanical keyboard doesn't use a significant amount of power. So there shouldn't be a significant difference in power drain.

Thickness: Yes, you are right, it would be thicker. But only by the thickness of the keyboard and second screen. Considering how thin phones have become, I suspect BlackBerry could make it close to the same thickness of the iPhone 1-4. That's thin enough for me. It would definitely be thinner than a slider phone.

Heavy? Adding one smaller screen, and a physical keyboard probably doesn't add that much weight.

How would you put it down? After trying some different cases on my many phones, I've found I like "bumper" styles the best. (Think of a thick rubber band stretched around the outside edge, if you don't know the style.) These protect phones from falls, and are nice and grippy to hold. They add a small amount of thickness at the edge, but that usually just makes it nicer to actually hold. With this type of case, you can put the phone down of either side.

Unintended actuation: Using an accelerometer, you could turn off the bottom side. There are a variety of ways to choose the side you want. BTW, some smartwatches have their accelerometer always on, which shows that there is not much energy drain from them anymore.

(One last comment for BlueStreak67: You forgot to mention putting the Minuum keyboard on a side screen, a chording button based keyboard on the other side, a Leap Motion keyboard on both sides, and an included input glove! But you still probably couldn't please everyone.)

Many Blackberry fans are fans of their mechanical keyboard. Currently, BlackBerry makes them choose between having the physical keyboard, and having a big screen. Whatever they choose, they lose something they want. With this concept, everyone could win. Is BlackBerry really dong so well that they are afraid to mess up their current success?
    NG888 likes this.
    03-27-14 08:06 PM
    See above
    LMAO You're kidding, right?
    03-27-14 10:06 PM
33 12