Today blackberry announced the Q20 and the biggest selling point was the idea of the return of the "Tool Belt"

This got me thinking, why should one blackberry 10 phone be the only one to get this. Why not in the next software update, blackberry release a software version of the tool belt. Like what Android does with the software keys, but instead on the screen at the bottom and not be physical buttons.

On top of that give users the option to turn it off or on. If a traditionalist blackberry users wants to "Tool Belt " on his or her new BB10 phone and doesn't want to have to go out and buy the Q20 then they can turn the option on and if someone is like me and prefers gesture control, they can turn the option off and use gesture control.

As mentioned before let it be located at the bottom of the touch screen and so it's non intrusive for the user.

What Do You Think?

Sent from the coolest BlackBerry In the world, The BlackBerry Z30!!!!!!!
    02-25-14 06:50 PM
    Um....if you have an all touchscreen device, why would you need a tool belt? I have a hard enough time keeping the damn m key from erasing everything i have typed because of the placement. Do I need another tool bar down there? No.
    My vote would be no. Not all phones need it.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-25-14 07:14 PM
    I'm up for those who want to use a virtual one, just as long as there's the ability to disable it!
    It's a physical one that I have a problem with, especially if they somehow someday decide to put it on full touch devices

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-25-14 07:21 PM
    Blackberry should strive for a consistent user experience. While I find the tool belt an abominable addition to the BB10 UI, I do believe that if one device gets the tool belt that all future devices should get a tool belt.

Developers are certainly not happy about Blackberry's gazillion different device form factors for a small user base and the fragmentation will only be exacerbated if only some phones come with a tool belt.
    02-25-14 07:44 PM
    I really see the toolbelt as a stopgap measure. It's only importance is to give an upgrade path that isn't so steep as to scare off the legacy device users who cannot imagine how to use a device with simple buttons.

The one real benefit - for me - of the trackpad is in editing. Cursor control is inelegant on my Q10. I do edit daily, but a trackpad would make it faster. But, the other buttons... meh.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 09:19 AM
    clearly trackpad is to attract BB legacy user...but problem is the phone will be launched in another 9 - 10 months...if they want to launch trackpad phone do it now...

in 9 - 10 months timeframe..many BB legacy user will migrate to either android, ios, WP8 or BB10...many people will gotten used by non trackpad phone, so releasing Q20 another 9-10 months will be unecessary and wasting BB money...
    Last edited by garnok; 02-26-14 at 09:37 AM.
    02-26-14 09:25 AM
    garnok, you're right. But, seeing as they've announced it, hopefully the delivery time is short. Tick-tock.
    02-26-14 09:33 AM
    Not all phones need it. I don't! My Z30 is just as I want it. I can see how some people want it back, but I'm satisfied with an all touchscreen device sans belt.
    02-26-14 09:59 AM
    And I hope the tool belt doesn't come with all new phones. That's my arm chair CEO thought.
    02-26-14 10:02 AM