12-16-14 08:20 PM
46 12
tools
    I love the Passport, but since I went touchscreen with the Z10 and currently my Z30, I'm still longing for a new flagship touchscreen device. It got me thinking.

What if BlackBerry made an all touchscreen (no qwerty keyboard) version of the Passport?

What if the concept below is the next flagship touchscreen device from BlackBerry, would you buy it?

The screen would fill where the keyboard is now, and it would have the same specs as the original Passport device that we know of now (although I'd love 8gigs of ram and an Octa-core processor with 64-128gigs of built-in storage and 1080p display minimum, dual sims... just a hint BlackBerry).

Love to hear everyone's thoughts and comments on it.

For everyone going wild over my suggestion about 8gigs of ram, and everything else I list. All were the rumored spec for the next flagship touchscreen BlackBerry, with the exception of 64-128gigs of built-in storage and the dual sims. The purpose for 8gigs of RAM is the ability to run desktop applications on your BlackBerry eliminating the need for a desktop/laptop computer. Remember that was the original goal of BlackBerry 10. No need for a laptop, desktop, tablet, etc. it is all on your phone (hence mobile computing device). Yes, all this means that the device would have to be 64-bit, which was also a rumor of the Z50. These are just suggested specs based on all the rumors we have seen (and apparently that you people all forgot about). If BlackBerry wants to stay competitive against consumer grade smartphones, it needs to deploy these specs. Although, if you read the post carefully, you would see that the mock-up of the all touchscreen version of the Passport I did, the specs are the same as the Passport we know now. Read the damn post carefully people. I didn't ask for your comments on my suggested specs, I asked for your comments on a touchscreen version of the Passport as the next high-end touchscreen flagship from BlackBerry. The questions are quite clear.

Posted via CB10 on VZW BlackBerry Z30
    Attached Thumbnails Thoughts: Full Touchscreen Passport Variant-bjschey.jpg  
    Last edited by bjschey; 07-27-14 at 11:28 AM.
    BoldMaverick and seletok like this.
    07-26-14 07:15 PM
    Sounds good to me

Rockin Z30 on 10.2.1.3253 on AT&T
    07-26-14 07:27 PM
    Good call

Z10
    07-26-14 07:27 PM
    Where's my Z50 ?

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    07-26-14 07:39 PM
    8gb of ram on a phone? Are you insane?

Sure, it can be done. Maybe one day it will be common.

But goddamn!

My new desktop has 8gb of ram. I could have used 16, but why?

Posted via (hopefully) a passport
    propeller10 likes this.
    07-26-14 07:42 PM
    8gb of ram on a phone? Are you insane?

Sure, it can be done. Maybe one day it will be common.

But goddamn!

My new desktop has 8gb of ram. I could have used 16, but why?

I have 32gb of ram in my desktop. I'll agree on a mobile device, that 8gb, currently, would be totally useless.
    propeller10 likes this.
    07-26-14 07:54 PM
    I have 32gb of ram in my desktop. I'll agree on a mobile device, that 8gb, currently, would be totally useless.
    Yeah. You can have that much in a desktop. Might even be necessary for some applications.

I built mine with light gaming and everyday use in mind, so 8 is more than enough.

propeller10 likes this.
    07-26-14 08:18 PM
    Man getting chinsy with ram is a bad road to go down

Swordsmanship & Western Martial Arts Channel C000C9AF6
    07-26-14 08:26 PM
    Thoughts: Full Touchscreen Passport Variant-lg_optimus_v_ii_35567340-8.jpg
    Witmen and Hai Bo like this.
    07-26-14 08:26 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LG_Optimus_V_II_35567340-8.jpg 
Views:	3070 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	287142
    Nice to see LG trying to steal the square phablet market away from BlackBerry already. Thing is that's just another Android device that lacks the security and productivity that only BlackBerry can offer.

07-26-14 08:54 PM
    Nice to see LG trying to steal the square phablet market away from BlackBerry already. Thing is that's just another Android device that lacks the security and productivity that only BlackBerry can offer.

This LG device was launched a long time ago...

Posted via CB10
    Witmen likes this.
    07-26-14 09:42 PM
    This LG device was launched a long time ago...

Posted via CB10
    I was going to say, it's quite old, for someone to say they're ripping BlackBerry off, only means the opposite is true. I posted this device when the passport first was announced saying the passport looked like this. Everyone said nuh uh.
    DYLANHABKIRK, Witmen and eldricho like this.
    07-26-14 09:45 PM
    I was going to say, it's quite old, for someone to say they're ripping BlackBerry off, only means the opposite is true. I posted this device when the passport first was announced saying the passport looked like this. Everyone said nuh uh.
    Well, in that case their loss is BlackBerry's gain. Even if it existed today, I still stand by my comments regarding the Android OS that it would be running.

07-26-14 09:58 PM
    That's odd - I totally hear what you're saying, and concur.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 10:24 PM
    That's odd - I totally hear what you're saying, and concur.

Posted via CB10
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...l#post10501424

ok i'm not finding much contradiction to my post, point still being though, people seem to think this is some new shape... to blackberry's credit, the passport does look better, and honestly, i'm so tired of the z10 i'm excited for any new device.
    DYLANHABKIRK and Witmen like this.
    07-26-14 11:30 PM
    I'm really excited for the Passport.

But yeah, LG has been making the square VU series devices for a long time.

07-26-14 11:36 PM

This comment reminds me of all the people who thought that Nokia had copied BlackBerry 10 when they saw the Nokia N9 for the first time. Even though the N9 was years older than BB10. I still see people every now and then who think Sailfish OS is a copy of BB10. Comments like that only prove that BlackBerry must have copied the other company.

You just said LG was trying to steal the square phablet market from BlackBerry, even though LG done the square phablet two years ago and BlackBerry has yet to launch one. So I wonder, are you now willing to admit that it is BlackBerry who is doing the stealing?
    07-27-14 08:52 AM
    Yeah. You can have that much in a desktop. Might even be necessary for some applications.

I built mine with light gaming and everyday use in mind, so 8 is more than enough.

Heck I get by with just 4GB and I run a bunch of Adobe apps. 8GB for a phone is an overkill. Also as far as I know BB10 OS is 32 bit, not 64 bit. Which means it can only use up to 3GB of RAM. That's one of the limitations of a 32 bit operations systems.
    07-27-14 10:51 AM
    This comment reminds me of all the people who thought that Nokia had copied BlackBerry 10 when they saw the Nokia N9 for the first time. Even though the N9 was years older than BB10. I still see people every now and then who think Sailfish OS is a copy of BB10. Comments like that only prove that BlackBerry must have copied the other company.

You just said LG was trying to steal the square phablet market from BlackBerry, even though LG done the square phablet two years ago and BlackBerry has yet to launch one. So I wonder, are you now willing to admit that it is BlackBerry who is doing the stealing?
    Obviously you didn't read my comments that followed that one.

07-27-14 11:10 AM
    Heck I get by with just 4GB and I run a bunch of Adobe apps. 8GB for a phone is an overkill. Also as far as I know BB10 OS is 32 bit, not 64 bit. Which means it can only use up to 3GB of RAM. That's one of the limitations of a 32 bit operations systems.
    Obviously you forgot that one of the rumors of the Z50 was 64-bit. God, everyone seems to just forget what they read just a few months ago. Everything I hint to is taken from those rumors and specs of the "Z50" so everyone needs to just chill already. I was asking everyone's thoughts on a full touchscreen version of the Passport with the same specs as the Passport. Please people, read the damn posts carefully. I know that's a lot to ask.

07-27-14 11:16 AM
    For me the next touch screen phone should use the screen area of the playbook, just the screen area not the beveled bits where you touch and swipe. That to me would be the ultimate phone

Posted via CB10
    Powdah likes this.
    07-27-14 11:17 AM
    Obviously you forgot that one of the rumors of the Z50 was 64-bit. God, everyone seems to just forget what they read just a few months ago. Everything I hint to is taken from those rumors and specs of the "Z50" so everyone needs to just chill already. I was asking everyone's thoughts on a full touchscreen version of the Passport with the same specs as the Passport. Please people, read the damn posts carefully. I know that's a lot to ask.

Look, I've seen a lot of people on crackberry hoping for 8GB on the next flashship phone. And they don't even know why they would need 8Gigs of RAM. I know what the rumors said, but I seriously doubt Blackberry would shove that much RAM in it.

And yes, a touch version of passport would be nice.
    07-27-14 11:29 AM
    For me the next touch screen phone should use the screen area of the playbook, just the screen area not the beveled bits where you touch and swipe. That to me would be the ultimate phone

Posted via CB10
    I've always thought that myself. Would be the perfect sized phablet. 7" diagonal, so you'd probably have around a 6" display on it. Certainly would be a rival for the Galaxy Note and One Max.

On1john likes this.
    07-27-14 11:30 AM
    Look, I've seen a lot of people on crackberry hoping for 8GB on the next flashship phone. And they don't even know why they would need 8Gigs of RAM. I know what the rumors said, but I seriously doubt Blackberry would shove that much RAM in it.

And yes, a touch version of passport would be nice.
    I'm interested in anyway BlackBerry can do even more to replace my need for a computer. If that means using anywhere from 4-64gigs of RAM, then do it. I just want a full mobile computing device (BlackBerry's original goal) to become a reality. The Passport is the first major step in that direction.

07-27-14 11:36 AM
    I'm interested in anyway BlackBerry can do even more to replace my need for a computer. If that means using anywhere from 4-64gigs of RAM, then do it. I just want a full mobile computing device (BlackBerry's original goal) to become a reality. The Passport is the first major step in that direction.

Very well said. My thought exactly. My Z30 got me about 80% of the way there. Can't wait for the Passport

Rockin Z30 on 10.2.1.3253 on AT&T
    bjschey likes this.
    07-27-14 11:39 AM
46 12