Hello again, people!
    Me again, you might remember me from 2 BlackBerry concepts: BlackBerry L rotary slider and BlackBerry-Rado Sintra

Today I have something different for you. It's not quite (actually not at all) BlackBerry but it's also not a concept but a real product that I'm proud of:

dedicated QWERTY keyboard for a smartphone from finnish company called Jolla.

Since most of you here are QWERTY lovers (I hope) I'd love to hear any feedback from you, from raw criticism to mild appreciation. Our team tried our very best to keep QWERTY smartphone market alive a little bit longer.

Thanks for your time!
    -Andrew
    Attached Thumbnails QWERTY re-imagined-cover1.jpg  
    m3mb3rsh1p and 1Criz like this.
    07-02-15 11:41 AM
    My wife and I are Passport owners, I showed her your concept and to my surprise she said she'd use it. I'll wait for the next Passport.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-15 11:26 PM
    This is what I hoped the Slider would be. Landscape orientation seems better than portrait for a widescreen device IMO. It reminds me of the venerable Nokia N900
    07-06-15 09:21 PM
    Nope doesn't do it for me
    07-07-15 04:08 PM
    It looks pretty good!

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 04:48 PM
    This is what I hoped the Slider would be. Landscape orientation seems better than portrait for a widescreen device IMO. It reminds me of the venerable Nokia N900
    A Landscape slider has no discernable market.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-15 02:05 AM

Posted via CB10
    The on-screen keyboard in landscape mode takes up too much real estate and the area of focus in portrait mode is so small that adding a keyboard in portrait is sort of redundant IMO.

A landscape keyboard would enable working wide with large text.
    07-09-15 02:29 AM

Posted via CB10
    I can't but disagree, we've sold about 2000 units for a single extremely niche phone with only three people in our team including me. I honestly wouldn't call it "no discernible market".

P.S.: Thanks all for your response!
    07-09-15 09:03 AM
    I can't but disagree, we've sold about 2000 units for a single extremely niche phone with only three people in our team including me. I honestly wouldn't call it "no discernible market".

P.S.: Thanks all for your response!
    2000 units of what ? No, I think that the only PKB slider that would sell is a BlackBerry portrait slider. It might entice former Torch owners and frustrated Z owners to purchase a new BlackBerry. Everyone wants to slide up the screen and hold the device in their palm.
    07-09-15 11:00 AM
    Look like the Nokia N97.

which is good... blackberry need to release a phone with that design.
    07-09-15 11:49 AM
    2000 units of what ?
    2000 keyboards.
    07-09-15 04:17 PM
    2000 keyboards.
    Could you be a tad more specific. As far as I can tell only the Torch sold in reasonable numbers.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-15 04:50 PM
    Could you be a tad more specific. As far as I can tell only the Torch sold in reasonable numbers.
    ok, it's the thread about QWERTY keyboard attachment for the Jolla smartphone. We've (me and my team) sold about 2000 of them thru Kickstarter and website. That's not a lot compared to Blackberry device sales but we've covered a very tiny portion of the market and sold out. So it seems to me there are quite a few willing to have landscape QWERTY's out there (And I'm not antagonizing portrait qwerty sliders in any way).
    Bbnivende likes this.
    07-09-15 05:46 PM
    Nice, but personally, I actually find that keyboard too big. There's kind of a sweet spot in my opinion for mobile keyboards, if you're typing with thumbs, you don't want it to be too small, or too big. Because too big means you're required to do more reaching and more distance to travel to get from key to key. But it's cool. But more importantly though, a keyboard on an Android doesn't really do much except for when you need to type. You really need to tweak the software to really take advantage of the keyboard, things like keyboard shortcuts homescreen one-button speed dialing are things I really require. And I'm pretty sure stock Android does not have any of those things...
    08-16-15 09:16 PM
    Oh, but also, I actually like the fixed keyboard design of the Classic. I don't care too much about having a big screen, I don't want to watch long movies on a mobile screen of any size. I like the keyboard to always be there, so there's no extra steps or time before I can use the keyboard shortcuts that I love. :-)
    08-16-15 09:20 PM
    Nice, but personally, I actually find that keyboard too big. There's kind of a sweet spot in my opinion for mobile keyboards, if you're typing with thumbs, you don't want it to be too small, or too big. Because too big means you're required to do more reaching and more distance to travel to get from key to key. But it's cool. But more importantly though, a keyboard on an Android doesn't really do much except for when you need to type. You really need to tweak the software to really take advantage of the keyboard, things like keyboard shortcuts homescreen one-button speed dialing are things I really require. And I'm pretty sure stock Android does not have any of those things...
    I'm not sure about Android, but Sailfish OS, that powers Jolla, with the help of our software covers pretty much everything you've mentioned and much more (like launching any kind of Shell scripts for example). As for dimensions you can notice, that actual letters are located pretty compact in the center of the keypad so fingers don't travel that much across the board. It just has big and comfortable modifiers and D-pad. But thanks for your opinion, appreciate it!
    08-21-15 11:03 AM
    If,as it seems, BlackBerry is really going Android and I will not appreciate their OS-Solution I will definitely look into Jolla phones and this keyboard, even if weird to my eyes, is intriguing me ;-) Well done!
    P.s. Even if I am liking Jolla phones (from vids on utube), BB10 remains hands down the best OS I ever tried..If it will be EOL, I suggest you guys to look at it and 'grab' from it some inspiration

Posted via CB10
    08-22-15 07:57 PM