The curved design keyboard seen from the Bold series devices are reflected in my idea of what the newly announced Q20 device could look like.
    With this new curved interface, instead of the downward curve that makes the user look down away from the screen to select keys, this upward curved keyboard draws the users eyes closer up toward the screen thus more aware of screen activity.
    Attached Thumbnails Q20 mock up drawing-blackberry_bold_q20.jpg  
    Last edited by rj10328; 03-02-14 at 03:35 AM.
    chgaida likes this.
    03-02-14 03:01 AM
    It looks sad

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 03:35 AM
    Haha, I guess it does when you look at it that way.
    03-02-14 03:51 AM
    Lol it does look sad. Looks like it could be a good keyboard layout too.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 12:00 PM
    The Q20 should come in a happy/sad keyboard layout. I think it's hilarious.

Posted via CB10
    clickitykeys likes this.
    03-02-14 03:28 PM
    Nice mockup. However, ergonomically speaking, the keys curving upward on the sides (Bold-style) are more convenient for thumb typing than the layout you have chosen.
    03-02-14 04:02 PM
    Nice mockup. However, ergonomically speaking, the keys curving upward on the sides (Bold-style) are more convenient for thumb typing than the layout you have chosen.
    Agree with that, the curves could be reversed... Be Bold uh... Be Q20 ;-)

Nice work! It could become mine if released in this design! Anyway better than the feared 3-row Keyboard Windermere prototype :-/

Posted via my BlackBerry*Q10, Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2102
    03-02-14 04:15 PM
    Now meet one of its split personality siblings.
    Attached Thumbnails Q20 mock up drawing-blackberry_bold_q20-2.jpg  
    Last edited by rj10328; 03-02-14 at 07:03 PM.
    03-02-14 06:37 PM
    But it all depends on the user and how they hold the device when they type. How they prefer the set and movement of their thumbs on the device totally varies. In my concept, the way I see it pressing the lower outer keys in my opinion gives the hand a more closer and tight grip to the device as it requires more bending of the thumbs, but with the higher outer keys the thumbs move upward and straighten out thus pushing the hand out away from the device.
    03-02-14 09:28 PM
    But it all depends on the user and how they hold the device when they type. How they prefer the set and movement of their thumbs on the device totally varies. In my concept, the way I see it pressing the lower outer keys in my opinion gives the hand a more closer and tight grip to the device as it requires more bending of the thumbs, but with the higher outer keys the thumbs move upward and straighten out thus pushing the hand out away from the device.
    Well, it is precisely the bending of the thumbs that I don't like. The nice thing about a well-designed physical keyboard is that it allows you to type "by feel" using the soft padding of the fingers. The grip is more neutral and relaxed, which is important in order to prevent RSI.

By constraining the user to bend his thumbs, the experience becomes closer to that of a virtual keyboard.

Those are just my two cents. I still like your first concept though. Would like it even more with the frown inverted into a smile :-).
    03-02-14 10:17 PM
    Well, it is precisely the bending of the thumbs that I don't like. The nice thing about a well-designed physical keyboard is that it allows you to type "by feel" using the soft padding of the fingers. The grip is more neutral and relaxed, which is important in order to prevent RSI.

By constraining the user to bend his thumbs, the experience becomes closer to that of a virtual keyboard.

Those are just my two cents. I still like your first concept though. Would like it even more with the frown inverted into a smile :-).
    Typing with the soft paddings of my thumb is difficult because their surface area is just to big for just one key and subsequently presses other keys around the intended key. That is why I prefer typing with the tip of my thumb, its more precise but of course can only be achieved by the bending of the thumbs.
    I think full computer keyboards are better matched for the soft flat padding of the fingers because of the adequete surface area of the keys to be pressed by the padding of the fingers. That's why I think, because device keyboards are naturally small are meant to be pressed with the tip of the fingers.
    A virtual keyboard also doesn't allow the ability to rest on a key without selecting it.
    I'd like to see how the keyboard would look if it would gradually go from : | to : ) or : (
    Last edited by rj10328; 03-03-14 at 12:48 AM.
    03-02-14 10:56 PM