Here is a crazy idea. We love our blackberry with PK. What if TCL made a phone that is basically a BB Classic on one side and make the other side all screen except for a camera hole in the upper corner. Everyone loves the Classic, but when it is time for media consumption flip it to the other side that could be all QHD Screen. Both sides could have 12 MP OIS Cameras. Of course the all screen side will need tempered glass. Put a fingerprint scanner on the power button like Sony Xperias, so the phone would know you want to use the all screen side of the phone. Then put another fingerprint scanner on the spacebar of the BB Classic side like the Key2 or Key1, so the phone would know you want to use that side. The best of both worlds. Who puts cases on a blackberry anyway? Expensive...,yes. Can it do everything but waterproof?....Maybe. Talk about an workhorse device\conversation piece!
    01-22-19 02:13 PM
    Sure... anything is possible. Sensors could be used to active a side. And as you said expensive.
    01-22-19 04:23 PM
    Moved to Concepts & Dream Devices
    01-22-19 07:05 PM
    Hi, I think your idea is good and it's possible, I also like the idea of tipping it to the other side to use the media.

ShowBox Tutuapp Mobdro
    Last edited by treyson; 07-29-19 at 09:16 AM.
    01-23-19 06:10 AM
    Why not just make a 2019 classic or 9900. Nokia realized there's a market for retro phones and I for one would buy one.
    01-23-19 11:50 AM
    Why not just make a 2019 classic or 9900. Nokia realized there's a market for retro phones and I for one would buy one.
    You would need an operating system that supports a 1x1 screen.... Android doesn't.

People still wanting a basic phone, are fine with those retro Nokia phones. People today that want a smartphone, tend to want more screen real-estate. That said Apple seems to be about to bring back the "retro" iPhone SE.... how much of that is price and how much is people wanting a smaller device. Seems like something that Android OEMs would test...

But I get you.... I do think that if it were possible to make a 9900 that runs Android and was reasonable priced, there would be a small market for it.
    01-24-19 09:47 AM
    I really did not imagine a 1 to 1 screen per se. Just basically a small screen to show 5 or 6 lines of texts or reading headers of emails. Basically the small screen handles, phone calls, texts, and emails for quick messaging or calls....old school BlackBerry functions. Where the full screen side is more of your traditional Android Phone. That way you do try to watch YouTube on the small screen or whatever.
    01-24-19 02:31 PM
    I really did not imagine a 1 to 1 screen per se. Just basically a small screen to show 5 or 6 lines of texts or reading headers of emails. Basically the small screen handles, phone calls, texts, and emails for quick messaging or calls....old school BlackBerry functions. Where the full screen side is more of your traditional Android Phone. That way you do try to watch YouTube on the small screen or whatever.
    I like the idea, perhaps blackberry mobile could optimize KaiOS to do very limited "smart functions" with the 9900 form factor.
    02-01-19 03:47 AM
    I like the idea, perhaps blackberry mobile could optimize KaiOS to do very limited "smart functions" with the 9900 form factor.
    TCL would be better off using a Palm phone paired with KaiOS (that what the Jio Phone 2 basically is).
    02-01-19 02:34 PM
    TCL would be better off using a Palm phone paired with KaiOS (that what the Jio Phone 2 basically is).
    Wow never knew about the "jio 2" before , that's almost exactly what I was picturing in my head of what they blackberry could do.
    02-01-19 03:09 PM
    Wow never knew about the "jio 2" before , that's almost exactly what I was picturing in my head of what they blackberry could do.
    I do wonder how sales are going for it... it's prices right for that market ($50). If a huge success, you would expect others to try and capitalize on that success.

If it had the bands for other markets and wasn't tied to Reliance, I expect many BBOS users would be interested.
    02-01-19 03:19 PM
    Good idea. Might I suggest that the side with the keyboard and smaller display use a split-horizontal layout in which the screen is in between the two halves of the keyboard.

This would allow the user the have his hands further apart in a more natural grip. I have produced a crude illustration of this concept.

New Phone Idea Z30 on one side....BB Classic on the other-horizontal.png
    03-02-19 07:11 AM
    I see where you are coming from, but I really miss the one-handed device that the bb9900 and before device were. But I could see that split keyboard for people that rocked sidekicks back in the day.
    03-10-19 07:44 AM
    Blackberry need to Release a BOLD 9900 A *A for Android*

Same Form factor
    Dual Sim
    MicroSDXC (upto 1TB+)
    32/64GB onboard storage
    MIN 6GB RAM
    Same screen as bold (I'm sure Blackberry/TCL) + Google can make android work on a 9900 screen with ease.

Market would be massive i think.. i myself would buy 10+ of them the 9900 form factor has always been the best. (small tough communicator)
    04-15-19 10:21 PM