I stumbled across this old article from 2010 about MIT and also samsung researching _graphene_ based touch screens. These screens are totally flexible, and hardly as heck. Graphene is a tough substance. They are also apparently high resolution. They look like a sheet of plastic, but hardy.

They would if viable, make glass touch screens look utterly primitive and stupid - because they would a) bend easily b) never break. You could make folding phablets for internet junkies, so you can stuff a 7-10 inch in your pocket, and also hardy rubber reinforced chassis phones (both button and non-button) that will basically never break.

Theoretically, you could create "computer sheets", that roll up.

So I think we are living in the proto-era of touch devices. That the real era, is yet to begin. And that it begins with graphine based touch screens. Indeed when we can reliably manufacture graphine in sheets (which they have been able to do as a one off), I think it will change human technology forever.

Graphine is 100 times stronger than steel, and conducts electricity and heat extremely well. It is also basically one atom thick, and extremely light. Not only as an electricity conductor can it be used for touch screen technology, but it could also house actual electronic functions too.

It can be used an ultra strong chassis for numerous technologies, and as filtration for cleaning, purification and so on (and biotech), as well as for energy storage (as a battery).
    Last edited by Jamie Brahm; 04-29-14 at 11:25 PM.
    04-29-14 08:41 PM
    Interesting stuff ...
    04-30-14 01:34 AM
    How much would it cost?
    04-30-14 01:37 AM
    Have known this for a whole mow here's a video of them.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces and Jamie Brahm like this.
    04-30-14 02:36 AM
    That ad is _terrible_ half way through. Good demo though.

The thing is, you don't need them to be all bendy and plastic like _all_ the time. Sure it would be nice on a scroll out device or folding one some of the time, but just like when you use a bit of paper, sometimes you want it to have a solid backing (same with a phone or tablet). So for all the flash, there is also the pragmatic form factor to consider too - plus the computer components get better as the specs get higher - a curve that is always trending both up and down (smaller for the same, bigger for faster/more).

Ideally youd want something that folds and locks into a stable flat surface for a tablet IMO. So you can use it away from a table.

And for a phone you wouldn't want a scroll touch if you were going to use it all the time (camera gesture might be better?). or something folding? But the folding and scrolls do eliminate the huge devices portability wise.

But great potential, and yes, this is the future of touch displays IMO.
    04-30-14 02:55 AM
    No idea. They can make these screens, but mass production is the hold up point. If they can figure that out, that will dictate the cost.

Graphene can be used in so many things because its light hard, and conducts. So its not just consumer computing that will drive production.
    04-30-14 02:58 AM
    An updated Z10 with an unbreakable screen would literally be the death of me, but it will never happen. It's BlackBerry we're talking about.
    04-30-14 03:10 AM
    Blackberry is being pushed into the do or die zone. They won't survive on coasting IMO. Same with all the phone manufacturers though i think in time. Apple is slipping. Windows has gained, but its faddish, it probably won't hold. Android/samsung is doing great but they reported their first drop in profits (tablet related? maxed market), and I think their current style of devices will disappear in time too.

Fragility (and size to a lesser degree, though there are smaller ones) is one of the main reasons I avoid touch devices for phones now (Ill happily use anything else touch). Its totally impractical and irritating to carry that around.

I hope blackberry step up their game, because they are the one mobile device manufacturer that has held onto _some_ sense of design practicality rather than aimless technophile faddish wizardry
    04-30-14 04:25 AM
    You could see how that could be used in say a pressure sensitive touch screen display who knows? It's unlikely but they are being secretive about some thing.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-14 11:14 PM