The Note Edge's spilled over right edge allows for notifications as well as a place for a user to place their favorite apps for quick launching as well as time, weather, twitter messages, and is even opened up to third party developers so they can make use of it as well. this seems all well and good but one thing I have heard from people who have actually held the device at IFA is that it makes the device really unusable one-handed (though being a Note series I don't know who would try) that the edge can be difficult to press and to swipe, that it can't really be used by people who hold the phone in their right hand, and that when the notifications appear on the screen you can only read them if you have the phone in landscape mode. In all likelihood this is Samsung showing off what it can do and releasing another half baked phone.

But it got me thinking: what if BlackBerry took this concept and did it right? By that I mean not have the spill-over curved edge that makes the phone difficult to use but rather have a second smaller screen that runs along the top of the phone between the main screen and the ear piece. It wouldn't have to be very tall say 5-6 mm and it could be separated from the rest of the display by a metal band like the one that goes along the back edge of the Q10.

This would allow for notifications to be seen while not disrupting the main screen and also allow for quick jumping from one app to another app that is located in the notification screen. You're in an app, then you tap on an app in the notification screen (say the browser) and it minimizes the app you're in, opens the new app, and takes you into it.

I think this implication would be far better than the Note Edge that Samsung has created and would add addition functionally without greatly increasing the size of the phone.

Posted via CB10
    Pallavgarg10 likes this.
    09-10-14 06:35 AM
    I think I see what you mean...might be an idea!
    09-10-14 07:04 AM
    I think what the Note Edge was trying to do is actually a decent idea I just think that the Note Edge was really made more as a way for Samsung to show off that it can make a curved smartphone display rather then actually solve any type of problem.

Posted via CB10
    irweezyy likes this.
    09-10-14 08:04 AM
    Samsung is good at hardware but poor at software. It's been that way for many phone generations. They have a one handed mode in the the Note but its craptastic. They should look at the new IOS Reachability mode and then uses sensors or edge swipe to determine if its needed.
    09-10-14 08:32 PM
    Samsung is good at hardware but poor at software. It's been that way for many phone generations. They have a one handed mode in the the Note but its craptastic. They should look at the new IOS Reachability mode and then uses sensors or edge swipe to determine if its needed.
    But at the same token Apple at this point is not putting out the best hardware. I mean a 4.7" 750p screen on what should be a flagship device. And they only now adopt NFC. And it does tick me off a little that they decided to go with their own wireless charging standard for their Apple Watch. If they had chosen either Qi or Powermat it would have given strong support to that standard.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-14 08:49 AM
    c'mon, just make the screen bigger and have the option to allow user to swtich between fullscreen or topbar visible

The Note Edge's spilled over right edge allows for notifications as well as a place for a user to place their favorite apps for quick launching as well as time, weather, twitter messages, and is even opened up to third party developers so they can make use of it as well. this seems all well and good but one thing I have heard from people who have actually held the device at IFA is that it makes the device really unusable one-handed (though being a Note series I don't know who would try) that the edge can be difficult to press and to swipe, that it can't really be used by people who hold the phone in their right hand, and that when the notifications appear on the screen you can only read them if you have the phone in landscape mode. In all likelihood this is Samsung showing off what it can do and releasing another half baked phone.

But it got me thinking: what if BlackBerry took this concept and did it right? By that I mean not have the spill-over curved edge that makes the phone difficult to use but rather have a second smaller screen that runs along the top of the phone between the main screen and the ear piece. It wouldn't have to be very tall say 5-6 mm and it could be separated from the rest of the display by a metal band like the one that goes along the back edge of the Q10.

This would allow for notifications to be seen while not disrupting the main screen and also allow for quick jumping from one app to another app that is located in the notification screen. You're in an app, then you tap on an app in the notification screen (say the browser) and it minimizes the app you're in, opens the new app, and takes you into it.

I think this implication would be far better than the Note Edge that Samsung has created and would add addition functionally without greatly increasing the size of the phone.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-14 10:25 AM
    But at the same token Apple at this point is not putting out the best hardware. I mean a 4.7" 750p screen on what should be a flagship device. And they only now adopt NFC. And it does tick me off a little that they decided to go with their own wireless charging standard for their Apple Watch. If they had chosen either Qi or Powermat it would have given strong support to that standard.

Posted via CB10
    No proprietary standard?
    C'mon, that wouldn't be AAPL...

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    09-12-14 01:28 AM
    No proprietary standard?
    C'mon, that wouldn't be AAPL...

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    Well the iphone 6 plus uses the 1080p standard so... Mostly I just can't see why people get so excited about such outdated hardware and an overly simple OS.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 08:40 AM
    Well the iphone 6 plus uses the 1080p standard so... Mostly I just can't see why people get so excited about such outdated hardware and an overly simple OS.

Posted via CB10
    Thats what makes Apple successful. Using a smartphone should be easy as using a fork. Why do you have to be 'smart' to use a smartphone is what their design choices say.

Samsung on the other hand tries to throw the kitchen sink on their phones and don't integrate them well such that few use the whizbang features.
    09-12-14 12:47 PM

Posted via CB10
    Their phones look the best/most premium.

I know that people say the HTC One M8 or the Passport or the Lumia whatever etc. etc. is the best looking phone in the market even better than the iPhone; but, not really. The second you have to mention the iPhone you are making a comparison and if the phone really looked the best the comparisons would be pointless.

The other reason iPhones look so much better than the competition itself apart for the hardware is the software/GUI. iPhone has the best looking OS with the nicest icons and I like the transparent effects. Android's GUI aesthetic is simply sloppy and inconsistent. BB10's is kind of bland.

Windows Phone is really iPhone's only competition in terms of the OS aesthetic and it's much too avant garde for ordinary people to appreciate. Actual artistic people will take cues from Windows Phone hence the entire flat OS shift; but, a lot of normal people think it is a "McDonald's UI" and weren't capable of appreciating the flat aesthetic until Android + iOS jumped aboard.
    09-12-14 01:17 PM
    The first time I saw the Note Edge ir reminded me of this concept from before BB10 was released:

The Galaxy Note Edge gave me an idea-curved-blackberry-concept.jpg

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    09-12-14 01:40 PM
    You're describing the Samsung Continuum which launched in 2010 and didn't do so well.
    09-12-14 02:28 PM
    I don't actually have a problem with Samsung's implementation on the Note Edge. It's a little gimmicky, sure, but I'd call it at least theoretically more useful than that curved LG handset.

If BlackBerry decided to use a design element like this, I wouldn't turn up my nose at it.
    09-12-14 02:32 PM
    Gimmick

Posted via CB10
    09-13-14 08:12 PM
    My employer provided me Curve 9360 for work, it has been pretty much less useful for me. I mostly use it for call, sms, bbm, and whatsapp. Some of my work actually were done on Samsung Galaxy Note 2, just because it has a pen function. I found it really easy for taking quick notes, sketching some ideas, taking pictures and write something on it, etc.

I do not have experience in BB10, in fact I only bought Z30 today, but I think it Blackberry can have a BB10 "Note" device with stylus pen and its apps it will be a good productivity device.
    10-07-14 06:16 AM