After watching the Samsung video with their flexible screen. There is no way BB can beat Samsung to the punch in advance technolgy.

BB and CEO John Chen knows what they can do and their limits. That is why they will only focus on the projects on hand and focus on Enterprise and health care.

BB has that captured Qwery customer and their Enterprise accounts. If JC stays focuse I think BB will gain martket share by having Foxcom make the low end (Z3) and by making 2 Qwery and 2 touch touch phones for the public. I don't think they will make a tablet because phones like the Z30/Z50 and Q30/Q50 is BB's tablet. If they keep upgrading OS the value in sticking with BB will be the hardware that is stil good 3-4 years later. ie BB Bold 9900. Yes I think OS10 should be on all new phones but they should continue to maintain OS7 for another 2 years if they reproduce the 9900 in May. Users buying this "reproduction" should expect 2 years worth of support without feeling created.

............So don't exspect BB making your concept phones for 2 more years.

............And yes I think BB will be in the phone market 2 years from now. With no more than 15% - 20% of the market share.

...........That folding Samsung phone was impressive.

So you dreamers that want a slider or switch blade might as well ask for free health care.
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 05-01-14 at 11:22 PM.
    05-01-14 11:06 PM
    The graphene screens won't hit mass production for about 5 years. Maybe more. They can be made, but mass production is not yet viable - its an obstacle yet to be overcome. So like when they first announced glass, don't expect it for awhile - certainly not in the next few years.

I completely agree that blackberry cannot match very expensive development. But thats no reason to say it cannot do inexpensive development and reach markets that other companies are not touching. And they can take up graphene when others spend their money developing it, as google did with the now reclining iphone! Graphene screens do not belong to samsung. They belong to third party - even if intellectually protected, or with a sole manufacturer, there is nothing to stop others using them.

As for tablets, of course they will do a tablet! The smart phone market is maxed out at 1 in 5 people globally owning one. The tablet market has twice the rate of adoption in the same period of smart phones. Its estimated to clime higher than 1 in 5, and its much much lower than that now. Tablets will be bigger than smart phones.

I think a light, thin, 6.4-.6.8 inch tablet, with a keyboard case, that can fit in the inside jacket pocket could be ideal for blackberries existing consumer profile -and outside of them.

Let me ask you this - who else wants hard keys?

There are groups of people, who are not in business who want hard keys, such as the young social media addicts, and those who don't want mobile computing, or those who have 7 inch or larger tablets and don't see a large need for a second touch computing device. There are markets, they exist, they are expanding and you don't need billions to reach them.
    Last edited by Jamie Brahm; 05-02-14 at 01:27 AM.
    Gykesdollars likes this.
    05-02-14 12:27 AM
    Just remember, at one stage, apple was in a garage.

Even after its desktops were selling okay for awhile , it nearly went bust - nearly beat by windows desktop.

They only saved the company by increasing windows compatibility and selling some stock - if they'd not done that, they'd never have been able to afford to make the ipad or iphone.

So its entirely possible in the tech industry to go from tiny, or beaten back, to big (and again with apple, possible to go from huge, back to slightly smaller again, now that they have lost market share in the mobile industry to samsung)

The key here I think, is to open up systems - more compatibility, more device interaction - the opposite of what the big companies like samsung are currently doing (you can only use their new watches with other samsung phones - apple's phones are even worse, probably why its on its way back out).

Open platform is why playstation rose above all the then big game console makers.

Its why android rose above ios.

Its what saved apple (oh how they forgot!) from windows, by including more windows compatibility.

Its why playstation 4 will likely beat xbox one.

Its why google will probably last the distance (because while they have some anti-competitive measures, they retain some of the mentality of a smaller start-up - big visions and open systems).

If blackberry can enhance its apk support, and increase non-blackberry device intergration via the incoming "internet of things", it could also be their saving grace.

People don't want to be tricked, forced, or limited. They don't just want to be wowed either- they want devices that meet their needs, act like they had designed it themselves. Tools they intergrate with in a human way, intimately.
    Last edited by Jamie Brahm; 05-02-14 at 01:29 AM.
    Gykesdollars and strongo like this.
    05-02-14 01:04 AM
    Jamie, thank you for an indepth reply. I was taking out of my rear, because I do not have the knowledge or am I in this industry. I am outside looking in and my obervation is from the consumers point of view. Your reply fully explains the whys and why nots on one page.

I have spent about 200 hours reading on this forum since I joined. Your reply has enlighten me and I would hope the other readers read your reply to stop all the negative posting (incuding mine).

Thank you again.
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 05-02-14 at 07:09 PM.
    Jamie Brahm and strongo like this.
    05-02-14 01:45 AM
    [QUOTE=Jamie Brahm;10307499]Just remember, at one stage, apple was in a garage.

Your correct in apple started in a garage but so did windows. Steve Jobs and Bill Gates were the guys in the garage. Back stabbing and all that later here we are today.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-14 02:11 AM
    Thank you
    05-02-14 03:02 AM
    Indeed that true, thats the history of these things, and it's so very interesting isn't it?

Does gates still own shares in apple? Or does no one know?

It really does show, that just because you are king now, doesn't mean you will be king tomorrow. There's ever bit of room in the mobile phone industry for the game to be future controlled by a now smaller player - by virtue not of their money or better hardware, but their ideas and commitment to the users needs. Just like there's every bit of room for someone to invent "the new desktop interface" OS and make windows and ios look like windows and mac os once did dos.
    05-02-14 03:15 AM
    Indeed that true, thats the history of these things, and it's so very interesting isn't it?

Does gates still own shares in apple? Or does no one know?

It really does show, that just because you are king now, doesn't mean you will be king tomorrow. There's ever bit of room in the mobile phone industry for the game to be future controlled by a now smaller player - by virtue not of their money or better hardware, but their ideas and commitment to the users needs. Just like there's every bit of room for someone to invent "the new desktop interface" OS and make windows and ios look like windows and mac os once did dos.
    You make some very good points..
    One thought too: if global economy continue to struggle - people may look at phones more for their durability and "lasting" power over "wow" features. It's amazing the kind of decisions a tight budget can bring about. A consumer may not necessarily just go cheaper to fit the budget if they suspect it is not solidly built or won't last a good while.
    Mr4aces and Jamie Brahm like this.
    05-02-14 05:50 PM
    If tablet take up is twice as fast as smart phones, and they are supposed to outrace PCs and smart phones, that just adds to the economic issue. Battery and nand flash both have limited lives, the software makes bigger demands etc. Its like PCs, but worse, because of short life hardware and fragile screens.
    And of course, this may be why some 1/3 of first world consumers seem like they never want to buy a smart phone - both because they are more expensive (and complicated), and because feature phones are way more hardy.
    I do suspect that decisions will become more and more practical, as with buying a new TV, or pc - do we really need it, sort of thing, what does it offer. Some smart products could become quite niche as they get unnessasarily powerful, like gaming PCs now are.

Ideally you really want something where some of the cost reflects reliability and durability - lifetime, as with cars and other products. So you can use your devices, like you do your computer, for 5 even 10 years if you so choose.

Indeed if there was such a device, it may attract weary consumers. Its worth mentioning, that yes, some of the chinese manufacturers (many actually) have poor quality control, there are some chinese brands that are pretty solid, comparable to much more expensive brands. They do this partly because samsung, apple etc, invest a lot in advertising and research. But their chips and so on are not produced by apple or samsung, they are produced by chinese third parties (apple and samsung cant make everything themselves)- who then happily sell the same chips to other people, as you would. Ive seen the iphone 4 camera chip for example in some chinese devices.

Ultimately those bigger companies have to find non-anti-competitive means of satisfying customers - ways that outstrip cheaper, or more generic competition in quality, and function. I think some companies maintain this mentality better than others. But it has to be a better siren call than "we have this, they don't", if no one actually needs it. I think longevity, adaptability are good features in this regard, underrated often, and a good point to bring up, along with economy.
    Last edited by Jamie Brahm; 05-03-14 at 06:07 AM.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-03-14 05:56 AM