I was in love with this concept but I personally can't stand android os.

Let's see: square screen, physical keyboard, slider (sort of), and most of all a unique device.

I'm not sure if the flip/slide mechanism is patented by motorola but it would make a an amazing blackberry, just add a bigger screen, the all famous BlackBerry keyboard, better specs and it's good to go!

What do you guys think ?would buy this if it was a BlackBerry?
    This device should have been a blackberry!-moto-flipout-1.jpg
    Attachment 349947
    Attachment 349948
    Attachment 349949
    Last edited by DezertDwella; 04-28-15 at 07:36 AM.
    04-28-15 07:22 AM
    That was a Microsoft Phone, before they came out with Windows Phone 7
    04-28-15 07:26 AM

No.
    04-28-15 07:27 AM
    As far as I know it was android!
    http://m.gsmarena.com/motorola_flipout-3271.php
    04-28-15 07:29 AM

No.
    Heck No!!

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 11:28 AM
    Nope I wouldn't buy it
    04-28-15 07:44 PM
    That's one ugly looking thing.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-15 04:13 AM
    No, never. All these concepts with movable parts are just cheap showmanship, "Look what I have, loser." Movable mechanical parts is the main reason for getting broken some day, for getting dirt into it, for loose contacts and such things. That's the reason why no recent smart phone has moveable parts today. A mobile device must be solid as a brick. I also don't know what's the "advantage" of this design.
    05-01-15 04:36 AM
    No, never. All these concepts with movable parts are just cheap showmanship, "Look what I have, loser." Movable mechanical parts is the main reason for getting broken some day, for getting dirt into it, for loose contacts and such things. That's the reason why no recent smart phone has moveable parts today. A mobile device must be solid as a brick. I also don't know what's the "advantage" of this design.
    Well it seems that john chen disagrees with you since he is releasing a whole new slider!
    And about the advantage, mind u this is an older device, by today's standards it would be a lot thinner and much more advanced, which will give u the "work wide" advantage that blackberry is pushing so vigorously and the legendary keyboard in a compact unique package.

But again, it's a matter of opinion so, to each their own.
    05-01-15 07:06 AM
    Well it seems that john chen disagrees with you since he is releasing a whole new slider!
    Sure he disagrees. Nobody asks me but I call that slider a mistake. I can hardly find another word for this philosophy (started with the Passport) than "courageous" or better "unfearful". Seems that they want to occupy every niche they still can find on the market - if nobody builds such a device ... we build it! But unfearfulness and foolishness are sometimes not far away from each other. All these flippy-flubbed devices (I still remember Hamburger-like round ones ... early 90s, OK, not from RIM) do canker now on the waste dump of history, where they belong.
    05-01-15 08:11 AM
    Yeah it looks like the kin, only uglier
    05-01-15 08:49 AM
    Sure he disagrees. Nobody asks me but I call that slider a mistake. I can hardly find another word for this philosophy (started with the Passport) than "courageous" or better "unfearful". Seems that they want to occupy every niche they still can find on the market - if nobody builds such a device ... we build it! But unfearfulness and foolishness are sometimes not far away from each other. All these flippy-flubbed devices (I still remember Hamburger-like round ones ... early 90s, OK, not from RIM) do canker now on the waste dump of history, where they belong.
    Are you kidding?? Do you remember the motorola startac? Ericsson T18, T28? Nokia 8801? N95, E9?!!
    Those were all flip/slider phones and they were the top phones of the 90's and early 2000's, as a matter of fact, the flip phone was THE phone before the boring slab phone era!
    So I'm not quite sure what you are referring to by saying these phones are in the waste dump of history, of course things have changed, and so did people's favorite choice of phones, but that's also is due to what's being offered by phone manufacturers where different styles of phones are almost none existent or not even close to the competition of the average slab in terms of specs!
    05-02-15 05:45 AM
    Are you kidding??
    No, not at all.
    Do you remember the motorola startac? Ericsson T18, T28? Nokia 8801? N95, E9?!!
    Those were all flip/slider phones
    Yes, this is the right word, they were phones, made for phoning and not much else, phones with a one inch b&w display. But we talk about Blackberries and these are smartphones (or better: little computers) by definition. Phoning is just one and in many cases not even the primary task anymore.
    So I'm not quite sure what you are referring to by saying these phones are in the waste dump of history,
    Nobody builds flip or slider smartphones. There's no need for this design anymore. Today you need a screen of a proper size.

Place a screen on a flipper. I mean a screen of say ... Z30 or Passport size. What would you place on the other half, a keyboard? You know the accu must be in this lower half because of it's weight. How thick would both sides be together? And how long would the joint in the middle last? Can you imagine the leverage forces on the joint with recent screen and accu sizes and weights? Can you imagine that users hold this device on the lower half while touching on the screen? (A requirement that none of your flip phones above ever had.) Forget it.

A slider avoids at least the joint in the middle. But the concept has still some mechanical deficits.
    05-02-15 08:35 AM
    All touch BlackBerry.

I'm done with moving parts. Fewer moving parts lowers the chance of heard issues caused by the user.

My next device will be an all touch BlackBerry flagship.

Z10 STL 100-3 with vitamin 10.3.1.2582
    05-02-15 08:45 AM
    Dude I get your point, I'm not saying smart phones should be mini laptops with hinges.
    All I'm saying is that there is no more innovative designs for smart phones! The best blackberry and other manufacturers have come up with was the slider which has quite a market apparently , other than that they released a gigantic square as an excuse for innovation! (which LG should take the credit for)
    My whole argument here is about the motorola flip out being a unique device which isn't a traditional slider nor a flip phone, it's a bit of both, which makes it imho a respectable attempt towards an innovative design the smartphone market lacks today.
    05-02-15 09:42 AM
    I had the same idea lately with my Blackberry L concept: https://www.behance.net/gallery/1905...erry-L-Concept
    By the way, as an industrial designer I should state that all these fairytales about "weak points" and stuff in sliders and other form factors is just utter bs, I'm sorry to disappoint you. In all my life I've never seen any flip or slider malfunction due to wear, they are built to last for years and years. And manufacturers are selling candybars and bricks instead of different kinds of phones just because you can produce it for muxh less and sell for more thanks to agressive marketing. That's the whole story, nothing about some imaginary steel weakness or bearings degradation. We're stuck in this boring world because of profits.
    cantina4me and DezertDwella like this.
    05-02-15 11:14 AM
    Yuck!! Ugliest I've ever seen

Sent from my Classic using Tapatalk
    05-02-15 11:18 AM
    I had the same idea lately with my Blackberry L concept: https://www.behance.net/gallery/1905...erry-L-Concept
    By the way, as an industrial designer I should state that all these fairytales about "weak points" and stuff in sliders and other form factors is just utter bs, I'm sorry to disappoint you. In all my life I've never seen any flip or slider malfunction due to wear, they are built to last for years and years. And manufacturers are selling candybars and bricks instead of different kinds of phones just because you can produce it for muxh less and sell for more thanks to agressive marketing. That's the whole story, nothing about some imaginary steel weakness or bearings degradation. We're stuck in this boring world because of profits.
    Dude wtf!!! Your concept is almost exactly what I had in mind if not better!! you did a freaking awsome job. I would love to see your concept become a reality, I would be all over it if only BlackBerry listens!!!
    I totally agree with you about how boring phones have become due to the lack of creative designs and variety for the sake of profit, not only, but one hand functionality seems to have become a thing of the past which absolutely sucks.
    05-02-15 01:05 PM
    I think honestly they should make this, but not as a phone but as a smart watch it'd be interesting and kinda cool act as a phone but also a watch. A watch phone (not needed to connect to a phone but can if wanted to)

Posted via CB10
    05-19-15 02:53 PM