This is the second device in my series of concepts. My first can be found at http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...oncept-910909/. I recommend checking that out first, as I brought many of the design concepts and elements over.

I present to you the BlackBerry Windermere, a QWERTY device with a 3.9" AMOLED screen.

BlackBerry Q50 [Codename Windermere Concept]-bb2.jpg

Design Concept

I intended to keep the look and style of the Q as close as possible to my Ontario concept. Design unity is something that should be considered between product lines. Below is a comparison between the Windermere concept, and the existing Q10, so to provide a frame of reference with regards to device size.

BlackBerry Q50 [Codename Windermere Concept]-bb3.jpg

The toolbelt above the keyboard is still an adaptive screen. However, this time around, there is no trackpad integrated into the toolbelt. Instead, the keyboard is touch sensitive, and acts as the trackpad. The middle button in the tool belt now acts as a fingerprint scanner by itself. This is the first thing that will light up on device power on, and at the lock screen. The BlackBerry symbol will remain lit while the screen is off, but will use minimal power, similar to how the Moto X and G display the clock and notifications while the device is sleeping.

The Keyboard

The BB10 keyboard first shocked the world with its swipe up gestures. The new iteration of the QWERTY shown here will drop another bomb on the mobile device market. I believe BlackBerry has patented such a technology already. A touch sensitive keyboard that doubles as a touchpad when composing messages and in text selection. Of course, this would require fine tuning to user sensitivity for it to work, but as a concept, it allows the user to type and navigating without ever leaving the keyboard. A rapid swipe down on the keyboard will switch input to symbols (a toast notification can appear on screen to notify the user of this change), and a rapid swipe left from the right hand edge will delete the previous wo

The Homescreen

At the homescreen, the tool belt houses 2 to 5 buttons of the user's choice, customizable through the device settings (think how the quick drop down panel is customized). Doing so eliminates the need for the bottom on-screen bar that we are used to (phone, search, camera). However, the elimination of this bar is optional; the user may instead choose to keep this on-screen bar and not have any buttons on the toolbelt. The choice is available so not to alienate early adopters of the BB10 devices that won't have the tool belt.

In Closing

The power users asked for a QWERTY device with a bigger screen, and with a trackpad. This is my innovative solution, something that would be unprecedented in the mobile device market, and something that would separate BlackBerry from the pretenders in the corporate world.

Please leave your thoughts, comments, criticisms, and feedback! Again, would love to know what the CB community thinks of this
    03-02-14 09:57 PM
    Great concept, thanks for sharing

Posted Via my Q10
    03-02-14 09:58 PM
    Seems like a good concept but using CB10 app I cannot zoom in to see them better.

I'd love a slight counter flush of the belt buttons, in such a way that if chosen the screen could slide closed over just those buttons along with the track pad.

BlackBerry Q10 ? & Full Metal CB10!
    03-02-14 10:21 PM
    I love all the concept but the design is too sharp on the edge above. Other than that, it's awesome. Keep it up!

By awesome z30! Never regret..
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    03-02-14 10:35 PM
    Agreed too sharp on the top edges.

Maybe next concept could have rounded edges.

BlackBerry Q10 ? & Full Metal CB10!
    03-02-14 10:41 PM
    I like this

Well.... nothing to see here.
    03-03-14 10:24 PM
    Very attractive phone!
    It seems like a 4" screen so I am sold!

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 08:23 PM
    Very sleek look, like it a lot.
    Don't like the 1:1 screen ratio though.

Still, amazing design.
    03-04-14 08:48 PM
    Nice design just the corners are a tad bit too sharp. I however like the idea of the trackpad keyboard .

Canada BBM channel C001234A4
    03-04-14 10:56 PM
    Seems like there is a want for no sharp edges on both my concepts.. here is a quick refresh of the design. Also added a steel band around the phone, like what the 9900 had. Thoughts?

BlackBerry Q50 [Codename Windermere Concept]-bb4.png
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    03-04-14 11:00 PM
    The rounder edges do work better but the classic touches should be reserved for the Classic line of qwerty's. I would like to see a design a bit more modern looking if that makes any sense lol.

Posted via Z30 C0002FDEF
    03-05-14 07:33 AM
    I personally though the sharp lines of the inception gave BlackBerry a distinct look, but it wasn't too well received lol

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 08:48 AM
    Looks a little wide to me, but overall I like it.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    03-05-14 09:42 PM
    Thanks for sharing, nice one. I'm just a fan of track pad, and the top looks very square. However I can see myself buying one.

"Initiated from my Q10 "
    03-07-14 12:21 PM