No camera is that thin.
    12-11-13 08:52 PM
    It will be mine, oh yes it will be mine

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 10:02 PM
    The screen should be smaller (4" to 4.3"). If it's a 5" screen, the device doesn't need to come with slider keyboard and trackpad because those would make the phone bigger and heavier. Furthermore, typing experience with virtual BlackBerry keyboard on 5" device should be better. BlackBerry phone with 5" screen and slider keyboard is a waste.

Posted via STL100-1running OS 10.2.0.431
    I agree . A BB 5 inch slider would likely weigh 200 grams or more.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    12-11-13 10:34 PM
    Absolutely, this would be the best phone ever created......why are people stuck on old tech not being great? the track pad was the best navigation/selecting tool ever, hands down, no comparison. Moving "forward" is not always moving "innovatively"

Unfortunately, ios and Android "stupified" the world, and I'm afraid there is no turning back.

I would buy this phone in a second. Good job.

This would be my dream phone.. 5inch screen is big but I wouldn't mind..
    Physical keyboard
    Trackpad
    Dedicated call buttons

Not the mention the specs are great.. If they would get their heads out of their butts and make something like this..

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 10:35 PM
    looks cool... i think the buttons and trackpad might have to go... i miss my 9900's trackpad... text entry/editing was much easier with it.... that being said, its a bit oldschool, dont think they can go back. Id like to see a virtual trackpad.. maybe in the center of the 'back bar' there could be a touchscreen squircle-shaped area that behaves like the 9900s trackpad... id love it!!
    12-11-13 10:37 PM
    Let me correct you on this
    There are plenty of people who used their bold to type BOOKS, and I'm sure there are some people who still do it. Also, typing long emails is not as efficient as before, or as efficient as the 9900... why? The trackpad!!

Posted via CB10
    I agree. I tried typing a short screenplay on my Q10 and it was a little frustrating. I prefer the word processing experience on the Bold 9900, tbh. Trackpad was a godsend for editing/typos.
    12-11-13 11:06 PM
    I wonder if there is a market for BlackBerry devices with larger keyboards (good for clumsy fingers) sliding sideways like Motorola's DROID series . . .

Blackberry Q40 'Samson' concept. 5 inch QWERTY.-droid4.jpg
    12-11-13 11:17 PM
    Hello all.

Long have i wondered when RIM would release their 'Torch' successor, which to me was one of RIM's finest phones i've ever used. Sure it had its flaws, but overall it was a phone ahead of it's time. The reason i used the codename 'Samson' is because i believe that RIM have ignored one of their stronger selling points, the QWERTY keyboard.

Samson lost all of his powers when his hair got cut off, and i believe that RIM have done the same by ignoring the community's cries for a Torch successor. They tried to keep up with the 'all touchscreen phone' hype, while they could have combined the two and make a large screen QWERTY high-end smartphone. The Q10 is a nice phone ( the one i use atm, great phone, but the screen is just too small ).

Specs :

- 5" Super Amoled screen, 1920x1080p resolution
    - 32 GB flash memory
    - 3 GB RAM
    - USB 3.0
    - 2.2 GHZ Snapdragon 800 processor
    - 3.200 mAH battery
    - 13 MP rear camera
    - 4G LTE ready

I am not a professional designer, so it might not look 'neat', sorry about that.

What are your opinions?
    Now that's a phone!
    12-11-13 11:32 PM
    I changed the design a bit.

Changes :
    - Made the keyboard larger.
    - Changed the placing of the front cam + notification light
    - Made the touch keys and trackpad smaller
    - Changed the front a bit, cleaned Blackberry Q40 'Samson' concept. 5 inch QWERTY.-blackberry-slider-front.jpgBlackberry Q40 'Samson' concept. 5 inch QWERTY.-blackberry-slider-side-back.jpg a bit.

While i understand there are a lot of people who don't like the physical buttons / trackpad , here's something to think about.

Almost EVERY touchscreen phone has a dedicated 'home' button, which is located at the same place. ( apple , samsung )

Placing a home button is not necessary though, because the 'end call' button functions as the 'home button'. So you get a trackpad that looks like a home button but in fact is a trackpad. The other physical buttons can be illuminated, so when not used they should hide away nicely.

Also, if you really don't like the trackpad, it should be optional to use it as a home button instead ( software-wise ).

Blackberry Q40 'Samson' concept. 5 inch QWERTY.-blackberry-slider-landscape.jpg
    Last edited by SenorPistachio; 12-12-13 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Added 'Landscape'
    rai187 and JoziGrrl like this.
    12-12-13 12:40 AM
    I would purchase this device. Apple still have tactile button.

I like having physical buttons, track pad for way easier copy/paste. Hook it up to a bluetooth keyboard and it is a device that could be used for some serious work

I think memory should be doubled, please not a flat keyboard (bring back the little tapering at the sides)

Posted from my BlackBerry Z10 (AT&T, STL100-3, SR 10.2.0.429)
    SenorPistachio and rai187 like this.
    12-12-13 01:23 AM
    Imagine one tool that could activate "Peek", "Flow", act as a mouse, click links, take pictures, select text, zoom in and out, act as a home button, scroll the screen, quick answer/decline a call or quick respond to a Toast message.
    Funny you say that, because the tool that already does all of that is the screen. So all you want to do is add yet another tool for something that BB10 already does.

The trackpad was the solution. Keyword in that sentence is WAS. That solution hasn't been needed in years now. It's time to let it go and start learning how to do things differently (differently; not less efficiently, just different).

Posted via CB10
    rthonpm and Fidel Mercado like this.
    12-12-13 02:04 AM
    Funny you say that, because the tool that already does all of that is the screen. So all you want to do is add yet another tool for something that BB10 already does.

The trackpad was the solution. Keyword in that sentence is WAS. That solution hasn't been needed in years now. It's time to let it go and start learning how to do things differently (differently; not less efficiently, just different).

Posted via CB10
    I strongly disagree. For me it's not possible to select text with the same ease and smoothness as i could with a trackpad. Copy/ paste? Forget about it.

But it's really simple, you either love the trackpad/ physical buttons, or you hate it.

You say, and i quote, 'it's time to let it go and start learning how to do things differently (differently; not less efficiently, just different)', and that's exactly what it is. It's just different, however, it is less efficient imo.

I'm thinking why should things be different? We all ( at some point ) made the switch from QWERTY to touchscreen , right? Are you going to tell me that there's no difference between the two? That was the first step backwards imo, because i can't imagine anyone who has ever used a QWERTY device can type with the same comfort on a all-touchscreen device. But along with the all-touchscreen devices came the decision to axe all physical buttons, as well as the trackpad. I'm thinking, why not combine the two? Now it's like taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Sure you can do everything with the touchscreen that you could with the trackpad, but is it really easy to do so? Can you honestly tell me that selecting a text works flawless on a touchscreen without having to 'pinch-zoom' because the wrong part got selected? Can you copy/paste with the same ease as the trackpad?
    12-12-13 03:03 AM
    You have the right to your own opinion, and can think whatever your heart desires; but in the meantime, the the market has already proven you wrong year after year. Even half the users here at Crackberry (the half that actually adapted) disagree with you on your opinion where it concerns a trackpad and BB10. The writing is on the wall, so to speak.

Adding a trackpad to BB10 is akin to having a mouse and trackpad or a mouse and a full touch screen on a computer; having both is extremely redundant and unnecessary. And there's not a proficient BB10 user that will ever tell you that the trackpad is more efficient than the gestures BB10 utilizes.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by ZeroBarrier; 12-12-13 at 07:21 AM.
    12-12-13 04:15 AM
    Adding a trackpad to BB10 is akin to having a mouse and trackpad or a mouse and a full touch screen on a computer; having both is extreamly intelligent, thoughtful, and just goes to prove that Deadcowboy is handsome.

Posted via CB10
    Took the words right out of my mouth.
    12-12-13 05:57 AM
    I've been in cell phone sales for the past five years and I can tell you that faulty track pads are one of the reasons users cite when leaving BlackBerry. I remember on my 9900 when out in the sun the track pad would cause the cursor to jump around and scroll all over the screen.

People are always amazed when I show them my Z30, but they say it's too late and they don't trust the company anymore.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 07:07 AM
    Let me correct you on this
    There are plenty of people who used their bold to type BOOKS, and I'm sure there are some people who still do it. Also, typing long emails is not as efficient as before, or as efficient as the 9900... why? The trackpad!!

Posted via CB10

Ok, who in their right mind wrote books on their Bold 9900/9930? I mean a REAL author? Yeah it's a gold keyboard but c'mon. Trackpads aren't "the thing" anymore. We've all modernized and track pads are the thing of the past. I'm sure we soon can become much more efficient on a touchscreen but they are still pretty efficient to begin with.
    12-12-13 07:24 AM
    I want this. Buttons and all. My 9800 was my favorite phone. I like my Z10 and am comfortable with typing on it, but he portrait slider is superior.

Track pad is necessary. With the device slid open, it allows one hand operation.

Posted via CB10
    Fidel Mercado likes this.
    12-12-13 09:07 AM
    Dude, I am in love. I would buy this in a hot minute.
    12-12-13 03:58 PM
    The trackpad and other navigation buttons are exactly what I miss most. I find my Q10 exTREMELY frustrating, since all the navigation can ONLY be done on the touch screen. I am currently looking at moving away from BB, even if it means I'll have to get a cheap keyboard-only Nokia and use my Q10 as a PDA (small factor tablet basically). But if BB are to release something similar to this concept, I'll hang on a few months, even a year if I have to!

For now I'm considering moving back to my Bold 9900 (what an awesome device!) until BB launches something like this concept. I was never a Torch fan, but this concept will certainly work for me!
    12-12-13 04:31 PM

Posted via CB10
    @ZeroBarrier

I strongly disagree with you. I've been using my Q10 for about 4 months now, and I miss my red/green buttons back button and especially the trackpad each and every day. The touch screen is (for me) useless on websites, as my thumb is blocking a quarter of the screen. When typing a message and you wish to go back a few words to correct a typo, the circle thingy is exactly where the letters are so you can't see where you clicked. Then you wish to only go one more letter to the left, but you have to guess where the cursor really is (Apple does this much better btw). With a trackpad, it is VERY easy to get where you want and fast.

For those who don't/didn't know this, many languages make extensive use of special letters like , and with the Q10 I have not been able to find a way of using those letters. With the trackpad it was very easy, for eg , just hold the "e" on the keyboard, and use the trackpad to scroll through the different options ( etc).

In my opinion the biggest mistake BB could have made is to remove physical navigation buttons. There are tons of people complaining about this mistake, me probably being one of the most frustrated ones.

Have a look at this forum for instance:
    Re: Why I'm giving up my Q10 to go back to the Bol... - Page 86 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Please BB, PLEASE bring back the goodness of the previous industry leading phones!
    12-12-13 04:41 PM
    Your post just proves you don't yet know how to use BB10 effectively.

First of all, I highly doubt your thumb is 1/4 of the screen, but even if it is move it out of the way to look at things. Why in the world would you keep your thumb on the screen at all times when using the screen anyways??

Secondly, you are using the circle all wrong for cursor movement. Tap anywhere in a text box to make the cursor jump to specified area, hold and move circle to move cursor freely, tap left side of the circle to move 1 character/space to the left and right side of circle to move 1 character/space to the right.

Thirdly, tap letter for lower case, tap and hold letter for capital, tap and hold longer for special charaters.

For 4 months you've barely scratched the surface of what BB10 is capable of, and once you truly master BB10 you'll wonder why the heck it took BlackBerry so damn long to finally ditch BBOS.

Posted via CB10
    ajst222 likes this.
    12-12-13 05:11 PM
    Love my Z10 but also miss my 9810 Torch! Give me both and I'm a happy camper!

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 05:42 PM
    Your post just proves you don't yet know how to use BB10 effectively.

First of all, I highly doubt your thumb is 1/4 of the screen, but even if it is move it out of the way to look at things. Why in the world would you keep your thumb on the screen at all times when using the screen anyways??

Secondly, you are using the circle all wrong for cursor movement. Tap anywhere in a text box to make the cursor jump to specified area, hold and move circle to move cursor freely, tap left side of the circle to move 1 character/space to the left and right side of circle to move 1 character/space to the right.

Thirdly, tap letter for lower case, tap and hold letter for capital, tap and hold longer for special charaters.

For 4 months you've barely scratched the surface of what BB10 is capable of, and once you truly master BB10 you'll wonder why the heck it took BlackBerry so damn long to finally ditch BBOS.

Posted via CB10
    I have a 9900 and I find I can use use the touch screen easily without resorting to the trackpad but It is false to assume that BB needed to take out the trackpad etc in order to increase the screen size.

BB could have , should have included those missing buttons and trackpad in order to attract their base users.

My main concern is not so much the loss of the trackpad but rather the small 3.1 inch screen. It seems to me that the Q10 lost the trackpad and buttons for cosmetic reasons or because the Q10 was a rush job.

The Q10 could be slightly longer to include a trackpad BUT I want a bigger screen.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 12-12-13 at 06:10 PM.
    12-12-13 05:56 PM
    BB could have , should have included those missing buttons and trackpad in order to attract their base users.
    That would be interesting if true, but let's be honest; the trackpad and the missing buttons aren't on other platforms, and yet people left their BlackBerries for those other platforms years ago anyways. This proves that the trackpad and those buttons are not a major factor to people when choosing a smart phone; it's only a factor to an extremely small percentage of all smartphone users.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 06:58 PM
    I want to talk to Samson!

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 07:49 PM
114 12345