08-17-15 04:08 AM
35 12
tools
    Nobody's. BlackBerry will never produce another 3-row device without modifier keys.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not so sure about that... I would not be surprised at all to see a Q-type device with the exact keyboard design of the Passport. It works well. And, it would allow for a larger screen on a smaller overall device.

I'm sure that there was some thought into the dimensions of the Passport. However, I'm also willing to bet that a big part of 'why' the device is so big is because it is utilizing new technology and this is probably as compact as they were able to get it.

As for the 4-row vs. 3-row argument, it's more about familiarity than which one is actually more efficient. There is no limit to how fast your thumbs can move so once you become completely familiar with either, I'm sure that your typing speeds will compare with either format. I do believe though that had I come directly from the more 'Classic' style keyboard to the Passport, I would have had a more difficult time adjusting. I believe that it is a beautiful hybrid of the touch screen / PKB and I love it.

I would love it if every PKB phone they release had the same technology in it, regardless of size (I'm looking at you, Slider!) and they can keep the 'Classic' line going for those purists. And, more than anything, I just hope that BlackBerry finds a 'line' of phones to stick with. I've said it before but it's a good thing to have some familiarity with their products. The Leap should have been called a 'Z-something' IMO, and it would benefit the company so much if they could get the market back to asking 'Oh, is that the new Q?' Or, 'Is that the new Passport?' Instead of: 'What's that one called?'
    08-13-15 10:33 AM
    So useless... I've never in the time of ownership of my passport felt a 'need for a fourth row the virtual keyboard + physical combination is unmatched no need to hold Alt to type symbols, and switching from letters to symbols is such a breeze with the swipe down.

Would just make the device taller and look stupid..
    How is it to enter multiple symbols? And how is using the alt key slower than needing to swipe down first? I'm already reaching for the alt as I'm typing the last normal letter before my needed symbol, then I press the alt and the key almost at the same time and have my symbol. Faster than typing, then swiping, then typing... Basically doesn't take any extra time over normal typing using the alt key. But hey, you think it's superior, stick to it buddy.
    08-16-15 09:00 PM
    Not even. The trackpad is barely used by me when using the Classic. Is prefer a melding of the Q10 and Passport.
    Oh well for you, I use the trackpad all of the time. Go get yourself a Q10.
    08-16-15 09:02 PM
    So the Classic with BB10 has better trackpad integration than the 9900 did with BBOS? It's more useful in BB10 than in BBOS? Are you sure about that?

Posted via CB10
    Please explain the differences in the trackpad usage. With the 9900, you can select apps using the touchscreen as well, so trackpad was just an option. Same with BB10. In BB10, you use the trackpad to select text. Same with the 9900. In BB10, you can use the trackpad to scroll on webpages instead of the touchscreen. Same with 9900. I went from a 9000 to 9900, to Q10, now Classic. I don't find any differences in the usage of the trackpad between the 9900 and Classic.
    08-16-15 09:04 PM
    You can type complex sentences much faster on a passport guaranteed. The fact that you aren't used to it is your own thing.

In fact what kind of complicated sentences would you write that you can't take a moment to look down on your phone? Ridiculous
    Really? How is typing multiple symbols that don't automatically appear on the on-screen row? And how is needing to stop typing to swipe, then type, faster to enter a symbol than reaching for the alt key at the same time as you're typing the last letter before the required symbol, then hitting the key for the symbol (that you don't need to wait for the virtual keyboard to show because you can already see it on the key itself)? Literally to enter a symbol using a normal BB keyboard takes absolutely 0% more time than typing a normal letter. Since we're talking about two-handed typing, like I've said, you're going for the alt key right before you hit the key to the symbol, so you can do that while you're typing the last normal characters. With the swipe keyboard, you have to wait until after you're done with the normal key, then you can swipe, then you find the symbol you want, then you hit the key. The middle two steps you can do simultaneously with the first step using the 4-row. So I don't see how typing a complicated sentence is any easier with the requirement to swipe AND type... And to use the on-screen 4th row, you're moving your thumb back and forth between the screen and the keyboard while with a standard keyboard your thumbs never have to leave the keyboard. I guarantee you I type complex sentences on my standard keyboard faster than you do on your Passport. No doubt at all.
    08-16-15 09:09 PM
    I'm not so sure about that... I would not be surprised at all to see a Q-type device with the exact keyboard design of the Passport. It works well. And, it would allow for a larger screen on a smaller overall device.

I'm sure that there was some thought into the dimensions of the Passport. However, I'm also willing to bet that a big part of 'why' the device is so big is because it is utilizing new technology and this is probably as compact as they were able to get it.

As for the 4-row vs. 3-row argument, it's more about familiarity than which one is actually more efficient. There is no limit to how fast your thumbs can move so once you become completely familiar with either, I'm sure that your typing speeds will compare with either format. I do believe though that had I come directly from the more 'Classic' style keyboard to the Passport, I would have had a more difficult time adjusting. I believe that it is a beautiful hybrid of the touch screen / PKB and I love it.

I would love it if every PKB phone they release had the same technology in it, regardless of size (I'm looking at you, Slider!) and they can keep the 'Classic' line going for those purists. And, more than anything, I just hope that BlackBerry finds a 'line' of phones to stick with. I've said it before but it's a good thing to have some familiarity with their products. The Leap should have been called a 'Z-something' IMO, and it would benefit the company so much if they could get the market back to asking 'Oh, is that the new Q?' Or, 'Is that the new Passport?' Instead of: 'What's that one called?'
    Not really, no matter how familiar you are with the 3-row, you'll never be able to do multiple symbols in a row (that does not appear on the virtual 4th row) as easily, and you can't start going for the alt key at the same time as you're typing the last normal character so that you can instantly hit the correct key to get the symbol you want. You'll always have to finish typing the normal character, then swipe, then type. Even if you memorize where all of the symbols are, you'll always have to do that middle step of swiping while with the alt key you do that while you're still typing the last normal letter, so it doesn't add any time at all to your typing.

But if you like the 3-row, then great, nobody will tell you to not use it.
    08-16-15 09:11 PM
    Not really, no matter how familiar you are with the 3-row, you'll never be able to do multiple symbols in a row (that does not appear on the virtual 4th row) as easily, and you can't start going for the alt key at the same time as you're typing the last normal character so that you can instantly hit the correct key to get the symbol you want. You'll always have to finish typing the normal character, then swipe, then type. Even if you memorize where all of the symbols are, you'll always have to do that middle step of swiping while with the alt key you do that while you're still typing the last normal letter, so it doesn't add any time at all to your typing.

But if you like the 3-row, then great, nobody will tell you to not use it.
    ACTUALLY, if you press and hold the numbers and symbols button for half a second, it looks in and you can enter as many numbers and symbols and spaces as you want. No additional 'alt' keypress necessary. And, if you swipe down once on the Passport Keyboard and then use the virtual buttons, that set of virtual buttons will stay there until you go back to using the physical ones again. So, there are multiple ways to do what you are saying.

It is entirely relative and all about what you are accustomed to. An 8 year-old with no arms could, in theory, write with their toes faster than either of us could on our Classic or Passport. It's all about what you are used to and becoming the most efficient at it.
    08-16-15 09:42 PM
    Everyday that I use my passport, I wish it had 4 rows. With the new Passport Silver, I know the reason behind 3 rows was not a size issue. Seeing as the Silver is longer in size, meaning plenty of room for the much needed forth row.

All this talk about the 4th row not being needed, but the new slider will have it. Touch sensitive keys and a touch screen. It's like everything the Passport should have, could have been.
    08-17-15 12:56 AM
    ACTUALLY, if you press and hold the numbers and symbols button for half a second, it looks in and you can enter as many numbers and symbols and spaces as you want. No additional 'alt' keypress necessary. And, if you swipe down once on the Passport Keyboard and then use the virtual buttons, that set of virtual buttons will stay there until you go back to using the physical ones again. So, there are multiple ways to do what you are saying.

It is entirely relative and all about what you are accustomed to. An 8 year-old with no arms could, in theory, write with their toes faster than either of us could on our Classic or Passport. It's all about what you are used to and becoming the most efficient at it.
    Yah, you now lose half a second. While on the normal keyboard you press and type with no time lost. You can lock it by holding it (and it's longer than half a second BTW, more like 1-1.5 seconds) on the normal keyboard as well.

And I'm saying with all other things equal, someone who is just as accustomed on the Classic as someone on the Passport, the Classic will do complex sentences faster. Even if it's only a difference of a second per symbol, it's still faster, not the other way around like claimed by someone else.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    08-17-15 02:58 AM
    4th row would make the passport too long, it's already now on a nicely proportions. But a longer screen height would be nice. The front BlackBerry logo wit the wording to be placed at the back.

BB PP on DiGi Telco SP
    08-17-15 04:08 AM
35 12