05-17-14 09:24 AM
89 1234
tools
    Don't like it overall
    1. Color accents make it hard to see things in white. I can agree with account colors directly put in their icons. Although I'd rather have different icons for different accounts. Agreed on contact IM status.

2. Multiple selection should be based on a cue that user physically agreed to (in short, opt in and not opt out), such as Windows' hold and drag with mouse to select multiple stuff, or holding Shift/Ctrl. BlackBerry's way is a hassle, but yours is not the solution.

3. Your search actually works with Email and the current filters. You can cram stuff in there with that beautiful design, but from extensibility standpoint I don't think it holds water. What if there are more filters?

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2102
    04-17-14 03:03 AM
    Really like it but not too keen on the circle buttons and also think the overflow should still be at the bottom for convinence to use with one hand.

I would also remove the gradients on the seperating lines and the search but to make it more of a flat UI, other than that I really like it.
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    04-17-14 03:25 AM
    Honestly.. that's absolutely gorgeous. I love how it's still modern and exciting but also keeps it's professional BlackBerry look. I would do anything to have this.

I understand what people are saying about it being hard to distinguish since it's a lot of white.. but that's the way stuff is going.

Form>Function
    sheailewis1 and JesseBabe23 like this.
    04-17-14 10:57 AM
    I love the color coded accent account.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 12:18 PM
    Im loving this concept!
    04-17-14 12:34 PM
    I like the new design looking forward to OS 10.3!
    04-17-14 04:31 PM
    Honestly.. that's absolutely gorgeous. I love how it's still modern and exciting but also keeps it's professional BlackBerry look. I would do anything to have this.

I understand what people are saying about it being hard to distinguish since it's a lot of white.. but that's the way stuff is going.

Form>Function
    To gradient or not to gradient Basically there is no right or wrong, its all so subjective. Reason why I put the gradient in is to see how Hub can look with a gradient compared to solid colors of current Hub. My vision of the Hub went into completely opposite direction design wise so the truth is somewhere in the middle. But to get to that middle you need to spend "a little more" time than 3 hours that it took me to throw this thing together I wish I had more time to work on this.

Once again thanks everyone for good or bad feedback, don't matter. I really do appreciate it. At least now we know that people would love their icons color coded so we got something out of this
    04-17-14 05:17 PM
    Don't like it overall
    1. Color accents make it hard to see things in white. I can agree with account colors directly put in their icons. Although I'd rather have different icons for different accounts. Agreed on contact IM status.

2. Multiple selection should be based on a cue that user physically agreed to (in short, opt in and not opt out), such as Windows' hold and drag with mouse to select multiple stuff, or holding Shift/Ctrl. BlackBerry's way is a hassle, but yours is not the solution.

3. Your search actually works with Email and the current filters. You can cram stuff in there with that beautiful design, but from extensibility standpoint I don't think it holds water. What if there are more filters?

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2102
    1. Yes white icons are not prominent because I wanted the name and the message to be the first thing you see when glance through it. When you view the image on your phone in native resolution you can distinguish the icons. Also colored coded accounts pop out which is why you would color code account in the first place.

2. Current multiple selection is something that really bothers me functionality wise. I use it all the time and I just wish it was simpler. My approach is very simplified but maybe not too intuitive for the first time users. Maybe when you tap and hold the item, checkboxes could appear on all items so you can check what you need.... That way is a lot more intuitive.
    If BB10 had on screen horizontal swipes I would probably want to swipe right to left to select the item, repeat to select each additional one and then swipe left to right to delete it.

3. Search is just carbon copy of the current Hub Search but on one screen instead of two and with a lot less finger travel.
    04-17-14 05:32 PM
    AMAZING!

BlackBerry should hire this man for UI design.
    SlcCorrado likes this.
    04-17-14 09:20 PM
    AMAZING!

BlackBerry should hire this man for UI design.
    Agreed. Nice work with the new design.
    Last edited by bbzp; 04-18-14 at 08:07 PM.
    04-17-14 10:42 PM
    You sir, has a great mind and imagination.

I would love to adopt the black theme, thank you.
    04-17-14 11:04 PM
    1. Yes white icons are not prominent because I wanted the name and the message to be the first thing you see when glance through it. When you view the image on your phone in native resolution you can distinguish the icons. Also colored coded accounts pop out which is why you would color code account in the first place.

2. Current multiple selection is something that really bothers me functionality wise. I use it all the time and I just wish it was simpler. My approach is very simplified but maybe not too intuitive for the first time users. Maybe when you tap and hold the item, checkboxes could appear on all items so you can check what you need.... That way is a lot more intuitive.
    If BB10 had on screen horizontal swipes I would probably want to swipe right to left to select the item, repeat to select each additional one and then swipe left to right to delete it.

3. Search is just carbon copy of the current Hub Search but on one screen instead of two and with a lot less finger travel.
    1. I find that the message type is as important as the name of the sender. To me it conveys the available communication method the sender has.

2. It's not about intuitive. The impression I got from the GIF in your website is that when you hold and the overflow menu comes up, tapping on another item will also select it. I don't agree with that because if one doesn't mean to multi-select, they'll have to be more careful when selecting actions in case they also selected something else.

3. Yes, but in the presentation you show only search for Email with the exact number of filters BlackBerry currently have. BlackBerry's way allows us to scroll indefinitely, I'd like to know how you'd handle it if there were more filters. I feel that your way is a bit too "hard-coded"

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2102
    04-18-14 05:28 AM
    and have approached BlackBerry with this design? :-)
    04-18-14 09:29 AM
    Liked the dark theme hub design. It can be improved by design brainstorming

Posted via CB10
    04-18-14 09:55 AM
    To gradient or not to gradient Basically there is no right or wrong, its all so subjective. Reason why I put the gradient in is to see how Hub can look with a gradient compared to solid colors of current Hub. My vision of the Hub went into completely opposite direction design wise so the truth is somewhere in the middle. But to get to that middle you need to spend "a little more" time than 3 hours that it took me to throw this thing together I wish I had more time to work on this.

Once again thanks everyone for good or bad feedback, don't matter. I really do appreciate it. At least now we know that people would love their icons color coded so we got something out of this
    I really like the gradient! I think the solid colors is nice but kinda boring. Gradient is modern and subtle.
    04-18-14 01:58 PM
    I really like the gradient! I think the solid colors is nice but kinda boring. Gradient is modern and subtle.
    I also like gradients. IMO BlackBerry shouldn't copy the design trends of other phones. Designs like these will help make BlackBerry different than the other phones.

I'm not too picky about future BlackBerry OS designs as long as it looks professional and not childish. The ones shown in this thread is a good starting point for a new design.
    04-18-14 08:32 PM
    I like it, looks neat and clean.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-14 06:35 AM
    I like it, but redesigning the hub would require a complete UI redesign and new design language for BlackBerry, do we see that happening in the current state of BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-14 09:48 AM
    I like it, but redesigning the hub would require a complete UI redesign and new design language for BlackBerry, do we see that happening in the current state of BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Is there a question in there? Haha. I don't think they would need to change that much just to change the look of the hub. Its not like overhauling the whole os, haha
    04-20-14 04:28 PM
    Well of course visuals concept of the Hub is somehow a direction for the rest of the UI as well, with "controversial" overflow going to top across the system I see there is a big polarization between those who like gradients and those who do not.

You know what's my favorite visual piece of the current BB10? Weather app! It's the best factory weather app across all OSes, design wise. Its so simple, yet it gets the information across, it has visual impact and sets the mood. They really nailed it with the layout, iconography, color palette and background imagery that is full of little details. If I am not wrong app will even show you if there is a moonlight out there by having a bit of a glow on a night sky from center top.
    NG888 likes this.
    04-21-14 07:07 AM
    Me like!!

Posted via CB10
    04-23-14 12:03 PM
    That's getting somewhere.
    04-23-14 12:40 PM
    Thanks for participating and thanks for your feedback! Its been a lovely little project! I didn't expect that much response.

The only proper way to view the new color scheme is actually to have it 1:1 and look it up on your phone, then you can tell whats really going on.

To say thanks here is a dark theme
    This is a 1:1 Z10 image

Attachment 263376
    love it, now thats more like it, although i prefer square rather than round, anyway, very decent job, i wish BB10 team can see this
    04-23-14 09:46 PM
    Honestly I can't get over how well this looks. I think this is the modern look that bb10 really needs.
    04-23-14 10:31 PM
    Honestly I can't get over how well this looks. I think this is the modern look that bb10 really needs.
    I agree. I like both the dark and silver hub theme. They both look very professional and modern looking. Hopefully BlackBerry will use this design or something similar.
    04-24-14 12:15 AM
89 1234