I am done fussing about being stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to Android. It is a marketplace reality and I can yell at the wall all I want and wouldn't do anyone any good other than be a personal outlet and look like an a-hole to you all.

I got a pet rock for that recently. Yeah, I just yell at the rock and the rock is still just a rock.

It appears to me that I may have been more a nuisance on this forum than most others with my crazy sometimes psychotic ideas and frustrations.

So while staring at this pet rock after it absorbed and diffused so many loud sound waves and a few bangs on the floor above me, it finally dawned on me this idea:

The Key Classic, aka Key4 (I assume the Key3 has already been decided.)

I figure with BB still holding on to some patent technologies of theirs that were used in the curve and bold models, that combining them into a "Classic" form factor Android BB would make BB stand out again in their phone market and create a distinction from the rest of the smart phone market that would again drive more market share.

The Key Classic would be same form factor as the BB10 Classic, only with the touch restive thumb pad where you can do everything with one hand and be independent from the need to use the touch screen. Leave it a touch screen however allow the user to de-activate the touch screen when the environmental needs of the user call for the touch to be disabled (ie one handed use, getting grip on the phone so you don't drop it and just because some folks are better at being curve/bold users.)

Not a single phone exists where you can disable the touch and still function a smart phone. This would be an easier step for BB than any other phone designer/make. And the cost would be a minimal difference except to reintroduce BBs patented thumb pad.

Yeah, I like to see BB Bold/Curve function into an Android soul covered in a BB body!

Thoughts?
    02-19-19 08:25 PM
    I am done fussing about being stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to Android. It is a marketplace reality and I can yell at the wall all I want and wouldn't do anyone any good other than be a personal outlet and look like an a-hole to you all.

I got a pet rock for that recently. Yeah, I just yell at the rock and the rock is still just a rock.

It appears to me that I may have been more a nuisance on this forum than most others with my crazy sometimes psychotic ideas and frustrations.

So while staring at this pet rock after it absorbed and diffused so many loud sound waves and a few bangs on the floor above me, it finally dawned on me this idea:

The Key Classic, aka Key4 (I assume the Key3 has already been decided.)

I figure with BB still holding on to some patent technologies of theirs that were used in the curve and bold models, that combining them into a "Classic" form factor Android BB would make BB stand out again in their phone market and create a distinction from the rest of the smart phone market that would again drive more market share.

The Key Classic would be same form factor as the BB10 Classic, only with the touch restive thumb pad where you can do everything with one hand and be independent from the need to use the touch screen. Leave it a touch screen however allow the user to de-activate the touch screen when the environmental needs of the user call for the touch to be disabled (ie one handed use, getting grip on the phone so you don't drop it and just because some folks are better at being curve/bold users.)

Not a single phone exists where you can disable the touch and still function a smart phone. This would be an easier step for BB than any other phone designer/make. And the cost would be a minimal difference except to reintroduce BBs patented thumb pad.

Yeah, I like to see BB Bold/Curve function into an Android soul covered in a BB body!

Thoughts?
    That would contravene the rules of Material Design.

Touch screen MUST remain active.

Minimum screen ratio is 4:3 - not square like the Classic. Further, BBMo has already decided that anything less than 3:2 is a poor experience on Android.

So you're already back to something almost identical to the KEY².

As an aside, a touch pad for android would be ugly. No apps have been designed for it, and the whole base OS is from Google. You can't make it happen with a Launcher.
    Last edited by conite; 02-19-19 at 08:50 PM.
    02-19-19 08:38 PM
    Well, I want my thumb to be doing all the work again. It is just a natural order of evolution. Without opposing thumbs we woudn't have even got to the hunter / gathering phase.

BB had it right with the thumb pad. Let's put those thumbs to use, again! And even with the 2x3 or bigger screen, being able to do everything with the thumb pad and ideal keyboard size will allow to use to do everything comfortably with one hand.

The other hand can do what ever the other hand usually wants to do :P btw one of my friends just injured his other hand a old bbos and bb10 user who struggles now with the Key2.

Passport 2 would be fine. Just add the thumb pad to the design!
    02-19-19 08:51 PM
    Well, I want my thumb to be doing all the work again. It is just a natural order of evolution. Without opposing thumbs we woudn't have even got to the hunter / gathering phase.

BB had it right with the thumb pad. Let's put those thumbs to use, again! And even with the 2x3 or bigger screen, being able to do everything with the thumb pad and ideal keyboard size will allow to use to do everything comfortably with one hand.

The other hand can do what ever the other hand usually wants to do btw one of my friends just injured his other hand a old bbos and bb10 user who struggles now with the Key2.

Again, you can't just slap on a track pad.

Apps aren't designed for it. There are no "focus" points within each app. It would be a complete frustration and nowhere near the experience of BBOS.

As an example, try the track pad on a Classic with various Android apps. You'll see my point.
    02-19-19 08:53 PM
    Photographed in dim light using a KeyOne! KeyOne's camera is superior to any camera on any other BB device prior. I guess cameras are the market focal point for phones these days.

Blackberry Concept Idea, bring in the old into the new...-img_20190219_2118482.jpg
    02-19-19 09:24 PM
    [Moved to "Concepts and Dream Devices"]
    02-19-19 09:31 PM
    1x1 could work as they have on some Android smart watches:

https://material.io/tools/devices/
    02-19-19 10:01 PM
    1x1 could work as they have on some Android smart watches:

https://material.io/tools/devices/
    No it can't.

Smart watches / wearables have their own rules.
    Jason Page and Vistaus like this.
    02-19-19 10:22 PM
    Photographed in dim light using a KeyOne! KeyOne's camera is superior to any camera on any other BB device prior. I guess cameras are the market focal point for phones these days.
    I too get frustrated from time to time trying to click on a small link or insert a word or character in a sentence.... fingers are too big for precise selection sometimes.

But as Conite said... Android and it's ecosystem aren't designed for using a track pad or the screen scale you want. We have joined a new league and can't play by our own rules anymore.

would make BB stand out again in their phone market and create a distinction from the rest of the smart phone market that would again drive more market share.
    I think the KEYDevices are already doing that... don't see a trackpad or a Classic format being much of a difference from those on the outside looking in. In fact smaller screen would go against what most users want. I give you there are many here that want a small screen... but a viable market - nothing to really suggest that. Barely enough buying the more "standard" KEY format...
    02-20-19 09:56 AM
    I too get frustrated from time to time trying to click on a small link or insert a word or character in a sentence.... fingers are too big for precise selection sometimes.

But as Conite said... Android and it's ecosystem aren't designed for using a track pad or the screen scale you want. We have joined a new league and can't play by our own rules anymore.

I think the KEYDevices are already doing that... don't see a trackpad or a Classic format being much of a difference from those on the outside looking in. In fact smaller screen would go against what most users want. I give you there are many here that want a small screen... but a viable market - nothing to really suggest that. Barely enough buying the more "standard" KEY format...
    If your only problem is stuff like link clicking, then Reachability Cursor is a nice drop-in replacement for a trackpad.
    02-20-19 02:52 PM
    reintroduce BBs patented thumb pad
    Gosh darn kids

Not sure that was the first, but damn sure BlackBerry was late to that party. I would love for it to be viable having every form factor imaginable, so every consumer had what made them 100% happy, but companies have to be profitable, thus buyers have to be pragmatic. Sammy would have kept the touchpad going if there was demand, and this has had 3 years opportunity for production.

Dreams are awesome. Turning them into a successful reality is challenging.
    02-20-19 11:32 PM
    Gosh darn kids

Not sure that was the first, but damn sure BlackBerry was late to that party. I would love for it to be viable having every form factor imaginable, so every consumer had what made them 100% happy, but companies have to be profitable, thus buyers have to be pragmatic. Sammy would have kept the touchpad going if there was demand, and this has had 3 years opportunity for production.

Dreams are awesome. Turning them into a successful reality is challenging.
    I think many here don't remember that there were a number of great PKB phones back then. Being a Palm users, I kinda miss the stylus touch that Samsung also used there.

Problem was the OS (Windows Mobile)... and no Active Sync yet, so battery life was bad. But then iPhone made the design obsolete... even BlackBerry was soon trying their had at a SLAB.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-21-19 07:50 AM

The other hand can do what ever the other hand usually wants to do :P btw one of my friends just injured his other hand a old bbos and bb10 user who struggles now with the Key2.

You are just being nostalgic.
    02-21-19 12:55 PM
    02-27-19 10:35 AM