Here is an unfinished concept that I whipped up. I present the Blackberry Z50, codenamed Ontario.

Blackberry Codename Ontario [Concept]-bb1.jpg

The main concept is that Blackberry has said they intend to bring the trackpad and the "toolbelt" back. We don't know how this can be done, or how it can be done without disrupting the oh-so-addictive flow of Blackberry 10. This is my proposition.

Design Concept

First on the left is the powered off device. A single metal fret runs around the 5.2" screen, and blends into a steel band around the side of the phone. The front facing glass gently cascades into the sides, allowing for gestures from the left and right. I have not finished the illustration for the side and back yet, but those are just aesthetic pieces not integral to the design concept. As can be seen, the powered off device is an elegant slab of glass from the front. The glass underneath the fret is a small band of touch sensitive AMOLED glass. When powered on, the glass below the fret then becomes an adaptive tool belt.

The trackpad

The second graphic from the left shows the device in the process of composing a message. Here, it can be seen that the trackpad is integrated underneath the glass. This is a possibility first brought up I believe by Lucas at N4BB. The phone and end buttons are seen to the left and right of the trackpad, allowing for quick access to the phone (something that I personally miss from my BBOS devices) and back to the home screen.

The BB button

When not composing a message, the middle button will deactivate the trackpad. At the lock screen, the trackpad turns into a fingerprint sensor, denoted by the iconic BlackBerry symbol. This is seen in the third graphic from the left.

The homescreen

At the homescreen, the tool belt houses 2 to 5 buttons of the user's choice, customizable through the device settings (think how the quick drop down panel is customized). Doing so eliminates the need for the bottom on-screen bar that we are used to (phone, search, camera). However, the elimination of this bar is optional; the user may instead choose to keep this on-screen bar and not have any buttons on the toolbelt. The choice is available so not to alienate early adopters of the BB10 devices that won't have the tool belt.

Further notes

The key to this concept is that everything adapts to the user, rather than the user adapting to the device. I feel that this is an elegant solution and implementation of the toolbelt, which is what power users want, without having to revamp the BB10 so much that the current devices won't be able to utilise it (causing OS fragmentation).

I chose not to include the BB button in menus as I find that this is redundant of the Cascades app design process, where bezel gestures are present to bring up the overflow menus. It is also pretty clear how menus can be brought out. Similarly, most apps built through Cascades have a return button in the onscreen interface; for the sake of not having OS and app segregation, the overflow menus and gestures should [B]not[B] replaced by the toolbelt.

Lastly, the trackpad will only be activated during message composition or text selection (long press on screen). During any other time, interaction and navigation through the use of a touch screen is [B]much[B] faster. I can see why BlackBerry may want to bring the trackpad back to appease the loyalists/attract those still on legacy devices, but they should not be moving backwards in the OS development just to accommodate this.

Again, the graphics for the other faces of the device are incomplete, but I hope to finish them within the week. I also have a concept in mind for the Windermere QWERTY device; I will reveal that in the coming week.

Please give me your feedback! Would love to know what the great CB community thinks of this concept!
    Last edited by tcee-; 03-02-14 at 12:44 AM.
    03-02-14 12:26 AM
    Pretty nice concept. Appreciate your efforts and innovativeness.
    Kudos.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 12:28 AM
    Really cool piece!
    You should work for Blackberry hehe
    03-02-14 12:30 AM
    Nicely designed. It's proof you can have trackpad at no cost to screen size. Well some people knew that. It's common sense!!

I don't understand why it's non removable battery.I know it charges wirelessly.what are we suppose to do with the phone when battery dies? Do not follow Apple practice! All BlackBerry should have removable battery.

It's common sense with bigger phone for some people to use gestures you may have to hold the phone in hand and use the other hand. Same goes for trackpad. Most people have no problem with it. Trend is bigger screens we are used to it. 5 inch is ideal.

Let's built this machine to BlackBerry standards for flawless experience.!!!Improve every way on its predecessor. Do not take out features.

Recently the memory capacity of Micro Sd card has been bumped up to 128 GB. Let's make all new BlackBerry compatible with 128 GB micro Sd card. Update to all wireless technology and battery life & camera quality is step forward.

BlackBerry Lead

Do not Follow

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 06:09 AM
    So awesome, I love this concept!

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 12:23 PM
    I don't like this design with top square and bottom round
    03-02-14 04:52 PM
    Thanks all for your comments, will consider them in my next designs

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 11:39 PM