BlackBerry BlackBook: Take That Chromebooks-blacktop.png

This is less of a new design, than a whole new approach. Chromebooks are thriving in the post-PC era; they're affordable, lightweight and simple. BUT we all know BlackBerry can make such a larger impact...

BlackBerry has QNX/BB10 which is fast, efficient and more than capable. BlackBerry has Documents to Go, BBM, a class-leading browser, enterprise presence, top notch security: The Corporate "Chromebook," AND you get to run Android apps... $250 and 20hr battery life anyone?
    03-13-14 01:59 PM
    Are Chromebooks really "thriving?"
    03-13-14 02:26 PM
    In schools with BYO(T)echnology where parents are not wanting to spend a lot of money, yes. My daughter's school district you see Chromebooks. Even in my enterprise, field works like the Chromebooks and we pushed a lot of their access to the edge of the network where VPN is not needed.
    D_Gui likes this.
    03-13-14 02:31 PM
    Enough to worry Microsoft. Just because its not "big now", doesn't mean it never will be.

Microsoft's next big headache: The Google Chromebook - Mar. 13, 2014
    D_Gui likes this.
    03-13-14 02:33 PM
    I like it!

Outside the norm thinking, and BB needs it. I like the idea its QNX based, Bake somewhere in the SW to allow home remote file access via Link, add QNX cloud/BES abilities. This could have potential why not.

Edit: content
    Last edited by Grumblegrumble; 03-13-14 at 02:55 PM.
    D_Gui and Zippy1101 like this.
    03-13-14 02:39 PM
    Wow. How did you get the keys to align up perfectly from that angle?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using CB Forums mobile app
    03-13-14 08:06 PM
    Wow. How did you get the keys to align up perfectly from that angle?
    Just used an existing notebook as reference, been waiting for weeks for my copy of AutoDesk for Mac to come from the states, then I'll start making some proper concepts...
    03-14-14 01:31 AM
    I like it.

Posted via CB10
    D_Gui likes this.
    03-14-14 08:06 AM
    Me to

Posted via CB10
    D_Gui likes this.
    03-14-14 08:39 AM
    It's possible, have a Intel or Qualcomm SOC with BlackBerry Bridge on OS10, the possibilities are there.
    D_Gui likes this.
    03-14-14 10:20 AM
    I like it!

Outside the norm thinking, and BB needs it. I like the idea its QNX based, Bake somewhere in the SW to allow home remote file access via Link, add QNX cloud/BES abilities. This could have potential why not.

Edit: content
    It would have no chance whatsoever, and BB would be...well I don't think they'd be foolish enough to consider it for 1 minute. This would sink what remains of the company in the blink of an eye - might as well go out and just burn cash in a bonfire. Sales would be..beyond imagination.

Chromebook are designed as conduits into Google services and the Google ecosystem - none of which BB has. Thus, not only would functionality be much worse than a Chromebook (which is already questionable in this regard to many), it also lacks none of the upside for BB that it would for Google. With no user base in phones or laptops or desktops, it would gain absolutely no traction whatsoever among developers - there would be no software at all - if you think BB10 or PB support was bad...this would be a trainwreck.

Meanwhile, BB would have to try to shoulder all the software development - not for a single mobile OS (which is more than they seem to be able to handle at standard industry timelines), or a single app(BBM), but for a desktop class OS that needs to interface with....well a heck of a lot of stuff to be even minimally functional, AND for app development and support. They would also have the burden of hardware (at least not for long since this would crash). Hardware alone would probably be sold at a loss to achieve anything close to chromebook standards - which again, are not about making hardware profits.

If they tried, you would need a complete revamp or rewrite of the OS. A touchscreen - assuming they want to reuse any of the paradigm. Apps and more apps (they will never get), good local storage (in lieu of extensive cloud services)...with no reputation in desktop, the enormous downsizing of the company, and a bad reputation in mobile, nobody will buy in - so you need these at launch, and you need initial great reviews (meaning Apple-class polish at release....BB has never done this with a single product yet). At the price point BB could do that, with the scale of the sales they could expect, the price will be very high - they wont be anywhere near a chromebook - closer to ultrabook territory. Even without all these missing elements (of which apps is the most important), they would have no chance of competing with asus, hp, acer, dell and Google....no way they could produce Chromebook prices without heavy losses.

Have you noticed that at the moment, they don't have the resources to pursue phones in the developed nations? It might be a nice dream, but it's...it's as crazy as them trying to build a manned mars mission rocket - actually that would have a better chance of succeeding - seriously. Chances of BB convincing government to invest in their mars mission - .01%. Chance of BB going bankrupt if they tried this? 100%.
    wnyjackson likes this.
    03-14-14 03:46 PM
    I'd really like to see less space around a screen (so bigger screen). Otherwise almost normal laptop
    03-14-14 04:06 PM