Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    BlackBerry 99T-yanike_mann_blackberry_99t_concept.png
    Last edited by yanike; 10-05-19 at 08:49 AM.
    10-03-19 12:51 AM
    Here was the 9860:
    elfabio80 likes this.
    10-03-19 07:23 AM
    Here was the 9860:[IMG=650x650]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191003/f727ad87aa90a79ae7032d3dabfa88f2.jpg[/url]
    I never had the chance to have this model, but it was for me incredibly beautiful...
    10-03-19 08:31 AM
    I never had the chance to have this model, but it was for me incredibly beautiful...
    Definitely a nice looking device.

I guess it wasn't popular because people were willing to go from its 3.7" to the 3.2" on the 9800/9810 in order to get the slide out keyboard.

My wife had the white 9810.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    10-03-19 08:36 AM
    I actually fired up the AT&T 9860 last year for old times sake last year. If that had been introduced back instead of the Storm more people would have taken BlackBerry VKB seriously.

It probably wouldn’t have changed anything today except better BB VKB traction. BlackBerry would still be tremendously undercapitalized against Apple, Google and Microsoft plus the OEMs with huge electronic appliance portfolios.
    10-03-19 08:40 AM
    The 9860 was a cool device, but my 99T is aimed for a full screen modern device removing the bulky buttons and moving the required and new button to the top (BlackBerry Toolbar) making the device completely water proof, front camra, and dual back cameras. The idea not shown was the SIM card tray at the bottom of the device and no removable back. Also, the two buttons would perform completely different than the old devices and the OS would have new additions and removed legacy code for older functionality making it lightweight and faster.
    Last edited by yanike; 10-03-19 at 09:43 AM.
    10-03-19 09:25 AM
    The 9860 was a cool device, but my 99T is aimed for a full screen modern device removing the bulky buttons and moving the required and new button to the top (BlackBerry Toolbar) making the device completely water proof, front camra, and dual back cameras. The idea not shown was the SIM card tray at the bottom of the device and no removable back. Also, the two buttons would perform completely different than the old devices and the OS would have new additions and removed legacy code for older functionality making it lightweight and faster.
    Still too small for Android.

And without spending 1 or 2 billion dollars on BB10, there's no current hardware that supports it, and (next to) no customers who want it.
    Last edited by conite; 10-03-19 at 10:44 AM.
    10-03-19 09:56 AM
    You’ve described what some hoped for with Evolve X or Motion 2 but unfortunately, the VKB never succeeds with the BlackBerry name.
    10-03-19 10:07 AM
    Still too small for Android.

And without spending 1 or 2 billion dollars on BB10, there's no current hardware that supports it, and (next to) no customers who want it.
    The aim was for a BlackBerry OS 7.5 and BlackBerry moving back to their Java powered OS. Taking what they've learned and improving.
    10-03-19 06:13 PM
    The aim was for a BlackBerry OS 7.5 and BlackBerry moving back to their Java powered OS. Taking what they've learned and improving.
    So what would re-engineering and rebuilding BBOS for modern architecture have over KaiOS - which has a modicum of software support?
    Last edited by conite; 10-05-19 at 05:54 AM.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    10-03-19 06:15 PM
    So what would re-engineering and rebuilding BBOS for modern architecture have over KaiOS - which has a modicum of
    software support?
    I’ve never heard of KaiOS until you posted this. Interesting and will research it.
    10-04-19 03:05 PM
    OS would have new additions and removed legacy code for older functionality
    BlackBerry moving back to their Java powered OS.
    Mutually exclusive, all of BBOS is legacy code.
    10-05-19 03:16 AM
    Mutually exclusive, all of BBOS is legacy code.
    I meant the code no longer needed for track pad and physical button functionality for keyboard, phone, OS menu, and back button. Keeping only the code that’s still relevant for today. Making room for necessary functionality. Lots of phones have bells & whistles and don’t handle what people actually need best.
    10-05-19 09:13 AM
    I meant the code no longer needed for track pad and physical button functionality for keyboard, phone, OS menu, and back button. Keeping only the code that’s still relevant for today. Making room for necessary functionality. Lots of phones have bells & whistles and don’t handle what people actually need best.
    Once you take that out, what's left? The OS predates LTE and the browser makes the PlayBook's look state of the art. Unless you plan on re-hiring all those ex-BB employees to crack open the OS's casket for the first time since 2013-14.
    TgeekB likes this.
    10-06-19 06:08 AM
    They don’t? What people?
    10-06-19 07:39 AM
    Just thought it would be cool to have an actual BlackBerry OS again powered by Java. At least it’s a mediocre Android now with a keyboard.
    10-06-19 10:26 AM