KEY1/KEY2 devices have a ration of 3:2 which gets a lot of criticism even though the iPhone 4 had this ratio so it shouldn't be too unusual but it certainly can be said the industry has moved on. What also gets a lot of criticism is the physical navbar. A more standard 16:9 display with a PKB is simply too tall of device and I don't think will ever reach market but as it happens if you stretch the display to absorb the navbar this fits a 16:10 aspect ratio quite nicely without making any other design changes. 16:10 is typically what you see in computer monitors and also in tablets but it works with Android.

We all know TCL isn't going to make any aggressive changes so we shouldn't expect this uber bezelless device to accommodate 16:9 without making the device too tall; it's just not going to happen. A more realistic approach is going to be small incremental changes that won't change the price much and probably still keep some bezels and a 16:10 display fits this model. It's enough of a change to get everyone excited but it's not too aggressive that it will need a major design change.

here is a quick mock up that uses the current design of the KEY2
    16:10 a natural evolution of the KEY Series-key3.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails 16:10 a natural evolution of the KEY Series-key3.jpg  
    Last edited by DamianWarS; 12-14-18 at 08:44 AM.
    12-13-18 10:49 PM
    And yet others insist on keeping the same height (or a bit shortler), but widening the device to allow for a 4:3 screen and wider keyboard (closer to a Passport).

Just goes to show that the KEY² is probably the best compromise.
    12-13-18 10:54 PM
    And yet others insist on keeping the same height (or a bit shortler), but widening the device to allow for a 4:3 screen and wider keyboard (closer to a Passport).

.....that would be me, for one.
    12-13-18 11:28 PM
    Wider *Please*!!

Posted via CB10
    12-14-18 03:19 AM

Nostalgic Blackberry says wider but the rest of the word says taller. If TCL compromises it will probably lean to what the larger demographics wants.

Small changes are I think the preferred direction and 16:10 doesn't require any major changes in the design and could essentially fit in the current KEY² model. 4:3 simply can't do that as it would require an entire design change.

I think the Blackberry universe has been too used to BB10 devices with not having one device as a clear upgrade and perhaps think that radical design changes are normal. They aren't; they're costly and have greater risk involved, I don't see TCL trying to mirror that strategy.
    Last edited by DamianWarS; 12-14-18 at 09:00 AM.
    12-14-18 08:23 AM
    It is possible that a future device may do this, if just to differentiate it from older models. Of course, if they asked me I would want to try a shorter model with a 4:3 ratio to satisfy the Q10/Classic fan inside of me.

Just don't expect more than one formfactor to be in production simultaneously. Volume is way too low to allow that.
    12-14-18 10:53 AM
    It is possible that a future device may do this, if just to differentiate it from older models. Of course, if they asked me I would want to try a shorter model with a 4:3 ratio to satisfy the Q10/Classic fan inside of me.

Just don't expect more than one formfactor to be in production simultaneously. Volume is way too low to allow that.
    I can agree with that. I pulled out my Q10 the other day to let my 3 yr old play with it cause he wanted to be like daddy and I had forgotten out immensely satisfying a small device is. I could easily switch to a shorter device with a 4:3 aspect ratio but I don't think I represent the sort of demographic TCL is probably designing for.
    12-14-18 11:21 AM