07-18-15 10:33 AM
35 12
tools
    I have a Z30 winging its way here to me now & also have a possible deal on a new Classic, and I'm trying to decide which one is the keeper.

I'm an old legacy-device guy, and dearly loved my older qwerty keyboard devices a lot. But I've gotten used to full-touchscreen devices now and feel like it'll be hard to change. I'm not in a. Job any more that requires me to process 50+ emails a day, and I text as little and as briefly as I can because it's so impersonal. I do like to check out social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc) and watch the odd video.

I went by my local VZW store today & messed with a display Classic & was very impressed with build quality & feel...but I feel the same way about the Z30.

Can I have some unbiased (if possible) feedback here to help me make the choice?

I appreciate it.
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    03-22-15 05:34 PM
    I'm interested in knowing too. I have a Z30 arriving here Wednesday, I have a Passport which I love but I'm curious to hear what others have to say.
    Also an old Legacy user

Posted via CB10
    03-22-15 05:41 PM
    My apologies for having absolutely nothing of value to add here but, I have similar questions and will be watching this thread closely.

I currently have a z30 that I've used for several months and think it's a great phone. No desire to replace it.

That said I also am very interested in the Classic. I'm not a legacy device guy and I hate buttons but, I will admit that I have both use for the pkb and the tool belt.

I've played with the Classic and truly feel it is a quality device however I'm holding back on picking one up because of the hardware. I do think that Classic hardware is a step backwards from the Z30 and I'm sure that it comes with its limitations. Nervous about a downgrade at this point.

Again, I'm sorry to have nothing of value to add. I totally understand your dilemma though. I know you will thoroughly enjoy your Z30. Can't speak on behalf of the Classic however.

I will be eagerly watching the responses of those who can vouch for both.
    bearhandlr and RWB3325 like this.
    03-22-15 05:47 PM
    I don't have to type as much as during my earlier job days either, but WHEN I have to, I always praise the day I ordered my Classic and gave up on the Z30.

The Z30 is great, but even the best onscreen keyboard will not save you from the usual typing-moving back-correcting-but then still overlooking and sending typos-etc madness that became the standard for most glass typists these days.

I sometimes miss the larger/longer display, eg when doing things in the calendar, or in the hub, but I'd always sacrifice these features for the benefits of a PKB.

Posted via CB10
    Chris Chin likes this.
    03-22-15 06:06 PM
    They're totally different phones in so many ways. It's almost like apples and oranges except for the OS.
    03-22-15 06:09 PM
    I can provide some input on this as I've owned a Z30 previously and now own a Classic (although I've only had the Classic for a week, it has practically been glued to my hands). This is by no means a scientific comparison and is more so my personal opinion, but I hope it helps.

First off, both are great devices. I do feel that the Classic overall feels more solid, the one thing that stuck out to me on the Z30 was the cover around the SIM and SD card slot never seemed to sit right. The other thing being that depending on the size of your hands you may find that the Z30 can be a bit uncomfortable to hold especially in one-handed use scenarios. Finally, what really bothered me about the Z30 was the AMOLED display, in dimly lit or dark rooms the screen had a red tint to it that bothered me, and even after calibrating the display with the color temperature adjustment slider it still didn't look right to my eyes.

I can't speak for everyone else, but for me the Classic is perfect. I really love the physical QWERTY keyboard and the toolbelt. It's very convenient to be able to scroll with the trackpad, and highlighting/selecting text is accurate and more importantly simple (no more tapping, dragging, trying to get the cursor in the right spot, etc). As far as the physical feel of the device, it's almost the same size of the Z30 but a hair shorter, but its shape generally feels better in the hand and the weight is evenly distributed, there's just something that makes it comfortable to hold. The IPS LCD in the Classic is bright, with accurate colors and great viewing angles, and in my opinion beats the pants off the Z30 or the Q10.

In terms of performance, I haven't noticed much of a difference but I also don't play games or stuff like that... my use revolves around email, text messaging, phone calls, and web browsing generally. Both are quick at opening apps, switching between apps, and rendering web pages.

Both phones have great sound quality for both the earpiece, built-in speakers, and sound output through the headphone jack. The Z30 has a bit of an advantage in this category with its stereo speakers for those who like to listen to music through the built-in speakers on their phone, but the Classic is also no slouch at this and does a respectable job, certainly better than what the Z10's built-in speaker sounded like.

If I had to make the decision today as to which one I would buy, it would be the Classic. I'm simply more satisfied with it during day-to-day use.
    Chris Chin and jhanks64 like this.
    03-22-15 06:25 PM
    If you don't need to type very much, then the Z30 could be the better choice.

I'm one of those 50+ email / day people and need a physical keyboard for shortcuts and accurate typing. I tried making the Z30 my work phone but I'm too slow typing on the virtual keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-15 06:43 PM
    I have both...the Classic is for my work...emails, bbm video, talk and text...it's my communicator...the Z30 I use for personal use...youtube, hdmi to tv...basically for entertainment...add the odd game...pacman...I don't like to be having clients call or interrupt my evenings and weekends...my business phone I can turn off...

Rocking the Z30 Regina SK Canada
    idssteve likes this.
    03-22-15 07:17 PM
    I saw a Z30 earlier this year and thought it was pretty good, but the build of the Classic I played with is exceptional.
    03-22-15 07:44 PM
    Sounds like it all comes down to one question: Do you prefer an all-touch device (and all the benefits, like a huge screen) or do you prefer BlackBerry's legendary physical keyboard. I've had both the Z10 and Q10. I jumped back and forth quite a bit at first but eventually settled on the Q10 and physical keyboard. Sometimes I missed the Z10's larger screen, but then the moment would pass and I'd be back in love with the Q.
    03-22-15 08:03 PM
    I have both. I use the Classic in the end, and this is why:

Z30, while a great phone, is actually inferior to most of the other all touch devices out there (nexus 5, iPhone, etc). So using an all touch bb10 is a bizarre for me, as i know the options out there are much better, and NATIVE. No need to side load or find apks and what nots, and not to mention getting an inferior performance as a result

Classic, on the other hand, offers something that no other smartphpnes offers: a perfect pkb.

So my conclusion is: i went for the Clasaic because i failed to see the point of using a Z30, when 70% of options out there outperform it. Hope this helps

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    idssteve likes this.
    03-22-15 08:31 PM
    I've owned all devices pretty much. Z10 z30 q10 Passport and now Classic. I loved the z30 for its size and speed. The screen quality is bit of a let down. Does have insane battery life though. Classic is just the right size for me and the keyboard is awesome. And as I'm new to the trackpad having never owned a legacy device it's pretty good. Overall they are both awesome phones I can't really fault either of them. Z30 for size Classic for physical keyboard

Posted via CB10
    03-22-15 08:33 PM
    Real BlackBerry phones have real keyboards. Else what's the point of sticking to bb? Ios and android do it soooo much better. But they don't do real keyboards so BlackBerry it is for me.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-15 08:55 PM
    Real BlackBerry phones have real keyboards. Else what's the point of sticking to bb? Ios and android do it soooo much better. But they don't do real keyboards so BlackBerry it is for me.

Posted via CB10
    Oh, DUDE! That could be the beginning of a forum holy war. I'm gonna duck and cover now...
    idssteve likes this.
    03-22-15 09:24 PM
    It sounds like I'm alone on this topic. I recently got into a Classic coming from a Z30 which I used for over a year. The phone is solid and able to run circle around my coworkers phones with the exceptions of the apps. I like the solid feel of the Z30, the big screen, the LONG battery life, and the awesome virtual keyboard. What I wished BB would have done is put a little better quality screen, its to dim compared to the Z10 & Classic, speakers a amazing. The Classic I've been using know for a few days and I have to say I'm ready to get out of it. Thou the Classic has a solid build to it, very nice screen, battery seems ok but haven't been able to install but 2 android apps. The keyboard actually is slowing my down compared to the virtual keyboard of the Z30. I'm actually finding the Classic to be a bit sluggish on text responds, sometimes up to 20 seconds even on simple text. I'll continue to use the Classic for another few weeks and hopefully a Restore helps clean up some of the issues I've been having.
    03-22-15 09:57 PM
    I have all of the BB10 phones except the Q10 & the Porsche Design phone and without a doubt I like the Z30 the most even though I tend to use my Passport most days simply because it is easier to work wide. My thoughts on the Classic are it's not a bad phone but performance wise I find it a bit sluggish at times and the battery life doesn't seem quite as good as the Z30 although the build quality is pretty good. Imo you also need have to have thick skin to use the Classic because you get a lot of people asking "You're still using the old Blackberry??" LOL
    bearhandlr likes this.
    03-22-15 10:22 PM
    It all comes down to whether you are a streamer of music and video, a game player, and an application hound, or a communicator. I had the Z30 for almost two years and it was a great phone, but I was wasting it's potential. I don't need the big screen, a bunch of apps, or great speakers. I need a phone that makes crystal clear phone calls, allows me to answer and compose emails and texts in an effortless manner, and gives me good speed browsing. Both are great phones in their own rights! It depends on what kind of phone user you are.
    phuoc likes this.
    03-22-15 10:37 PM
    I have them both Z30 & Classic I use the Classic as my Work phone, Z30 for media.

Posted via CB10
    idssteve likes this.
    03-22-15 11:56 PM
    I used the Z30 for a few months and kept missing the keyboard on my Q10. Then the Passport came and I used it side by side with my Z30. I love almost everything about it, but just not a one-handed device and the keyboard is missing the Alt key.

I bought the VZW Classic the day it arrived and it really feels like going home again and is a great comfortable device. Using the Trackpad to move around and the keyboard to select text, copy and paste is so wonderful.

I only have two things that I wish were different on the Classic. I wish the speed was a little better and that using MIracast to a big TV would use more of the screen. Other than that, I just love the Classic.

If I didn't need to type much, then the Z30 is a super wonderful phone, even then, the flicking keyboard is magical.
    idssteve likes this.
    03-24-15 03:31 AM
    I have a Z30 winging its way here to me now & also have a possible deal on a new Classic, and I'm trying to decide which one is the keeper.

I'm an old legacy-device guy, and dearly loved my older qwerty keyboard devices a lot. But I've gotten used to full-touchscreen devices now and feel like it'll be hard to change. I'm not in a. Job any more that requires me to process 50+ emails a day, and I text as little and as briefly as I can because it's so impersonal. I do like to check out social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc) and watch the odd video.

I went by my local VZW store today & messed with a display Classic & was very impressed with build quality & feel...but I feel the same way about the Z30.

Can I have some unbiased (if possible) feedback here to help me make the choice?

I appreciate it.
    Obviously media is more important to you than typing a lot of text during the day! The logical decision should be the Z30, that's pretty obvious in my opinion! In my case it is the opposite: Just basic needs for media and focus on typing and phone calls - that's why I grabbed the Classic.
    03-24-15 05:21 AM
    It's all about preferences. I used Z30 and love it. I think it is one of the best phone ever. And when Classic came out, I just can't resist to get it. Just because it is Classic and remind me of the Bold series. So I start to use both phones. I use my Z30 mostly for the media and for social media. But after about couple of weeks, I kind of use more of my Classic. I got so attached with the keyboard. I starts to write my blog again. And started to update my Twitter and FB through my Classic instead of my Z30. I still on and off use my Z30 but Classic is my primary device now. Of course I got a lot of comments about why I'm still use an old BlackBerry. Classic is too classic and most of the non BlackBerry user thought that it is the old Bold. But who cares, we BlackBerry users are exceptional.

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.1.1154
    rayporsche and vincentkong like this.
    03-24-15 08:55 AM
    Wall of text alert--this is a very in-depth comparison for those on CB who are really looking for it. Casual CB browsers beware--this could take a while.

I have had a Z30 for over a year and a Classic for about 2 1/2 weeks. I initially was eyeing the Q10, but felt that the screen was slightly too small and dark, and I thought to myself "Now, if only it had a toolbelt..." So I passed on the Q and got the Z30. But once I heard about the Classic, I got very excited. Now I can tell you more in-depth the pros and cons of each.

I considered a Passport and got to play with one at an AT&T store. It was definitely sweet and the most interesting phone I've ever held, but it's just too chunky for my taste... although I found it to look smaller in person than in photos. So if you like large phones, it's definitely worth checking out.

First, a few things about me: I don't look at much video (if I'm on youtube I'm likely more interested in the audio than the video), so the clear superiority of the Z30 for video consumption doesn't mean much to me. Secondly, my skin is very oily. The good part is that my skin almost never dries out. The bad part is that I gunk up touchscreens terribly within 10 minutes. Add to that the fact that I hate looking at a screen full of finger-funk, and you can imagine how much I like the idea of getting by without smearing up the screen constantly. This is a pro for the Classic--you'll spend WAY less time cleaning your screen.

So here goes:

General Build quality: The Z30 lacks Gorilla Glass and thus is very easily scratched. A screen protector is a must IMO. The power and volume buttons feel a lot cheaper and weaker than the Classic, too. In my opinion, the Classic is the more handsome, but the Z is also fine looking. My Classic's sim/sd card trays don't fit perfectly flush on my unit, although others on CB don't have the same problem. In contrast, the Z30's spring-loaded slots are wonderful. The Classic's abundance of moving parts means that there's more points it can fail and thus a greater chance you'll get a defective unit. Mine is fine--the card trays not fitting totally flush are the only complaint I have. Overall, the Classic feels more substantial and tough. Overall build quality I'd give to the Classic, although not by a landslide.

Back Battery door: The Z30 and the Q10 have backing called Glassweave, which is like a rubberized fiberglass. Glassweave is strong, kinda flexible, and sticks to my fingers like glue. I have NEVER dropped a caseless Z30. The Classic's rubberized plastic is slicker and feels nicer to the touch (and doesn't show fingerprints), but does not stick to my hand and to surfaces like glassweave does. The Classic slips around in the hand and on surfaces a lot more. To be fair, I haven't dropped the Classic, but I am less confident about my grip. Since I prize functionality over aesthetics, I'd give the Z30 the nod.

Screen: The Classic does not have those beautiful deep blacks of the AMOLED Z30. However, the screen is very bright and the PPI is virtually identical. If you have to look at your phone a lot outdoors in bright light, the Classic will definitely be easier to see. This could be an important consideration, especially if you are looking for a work phone to take to work sites. But the Z30 has more contrast and IMO looks better generally. And it wins on screen size, obviously. Z30

Reception--I have tested both in poor-signal areas and solid signal areas. They seem to have identical reception performance. And both have the best reception I have personally seen. Tie

Phone calls--same reception, and seems to be the same call quality. The physical Call/End buttons are a sorely missed feature in 'modern' smartphones, and means that the Classic takes it.

Speakers--the Classic only has one mono speaker. The Z30 has dual. The Classic's speaker is ok--I have no complaints. The Z30's speakers are AWESOME. They are still some of the best in the market today. 9 times out of 10, if I listen to audio media on my phone I do it on headphones or bluetooth speaker. So this isn't a determining factor for me, but Z30 is the clear winner here.

Processing speed--the Z30's processors are just better. For simple tasks or websites, the difference is negligible, but if you load a website with a lot of pictures or graphics--or just a big site--the Z is very noticeably faster. Same goes for apps--little ones load fast either way, big ones load much faster on the Z30. Intensive Android apps widens the gap even more. Depending on your own usage, this may or may not be an issue, but Z30 is the clear winner.

Battery life--I expected the Z30 to score an easy win here, but I've been surprised by the Classic's battery life. The Z's is bigger and definitely has a longer standby time, but the bigger screen and more powerful processors mean that it's actually possible to drain the Z30's battery faster with extreme usage (particularly games). Yes, under normal usage a Z30 should outlast a Classic, although you should be able to get a good 16+ hours out of the Classic. For me, it comes off the charger at 7:00 and at 23:00 it goes back on with usually about 20% remaining (with heavy usage through almost all day). Most people will be fine with either phone, but Z30 still wins.

Apps--Z30 opens and loads them faster, is more responsive, doesn't need to be re-coded for apps to work well with it, and it is generally more compatible with Android stuff. Z30 wins.

Gestures--this category is specifically for on-screen gesturing. The gestures all work the same, but IMO the Z30 is more fun to do gestures on. The Classic will feel a little cramped for gestures coming from a Z10 or 30. Other people will like the smaller, tighter gestures that you do on a Classic. The trackpad opens up a new element in that you can swipe across the trackpad to flip between home page, app pages, and the HUB. For example, you can hit the End key to minimize an app, then swipe left across the toolbelt and trackpad to go into the HUB. The smaller screen and higher grip you'll have on the Classic also makes it easier to reach everything. If you like gesturing on the Q, you'll like the Classic. If you like gesturing on the Z10 or -3, you'll like the Z30. I lean towards the Z30, but I'll call this one a tie.

Other OS Navigation--the Classic's toolbelt and keys adds a whole other dimension to operating BB10 that the Z30 can't match. The Classic has 26 buttons that can be customized to perform various actions or launch whatever app you wish. Plus, the back button is more convenient for right-handers than the onscreen back arrow. It is generally pretty useful. The combination of End to minimize and Back to close an app means that you never have to peck at the little X, which is one of my annoyances with BB10. For many people, the smaller screen will be easier to manipulate. Also, I like that I can pick the Classic up, unlocked, without accidentally opening an app--especially the camera and phone apps. Accidental pictures or phone calls is my biggest annoyance with the Z. The Classic can open and close apps so fast that it can actually bog down the processors a bit. I personally find it more interesting and fun to use than a touch-slab. Classic takes this one.

Text editing--the Classic is the best text editing phone to come out in the last few years. It wins, hands down.

Video content--Classic works in a pinch, but generally sucks compared to most quality smartphones. In this area, Z30 easily wins.

Typing experience--The Classic's keyboard is fantastic. The VKB on the Z is also fantastic. In landscape mode and with flicking up words, the Z is incredibly fast. But I still make less typos with the Classic. It just feels so natural. I personally love the tactile feedback of individual mechanical switches. My keyboards at work and home are both mechanical. Typing on glass is just something I don't much care for. Typing on the Classic is something I actually enjoy. Some people could care less about mechanical keyboards. I leave this one all up to individual preference.

Wireless charging--this is a feature that I like a lot. The ATT and Verizon Classics have it, but I don't think that the BlackBerry GSM version does. The Verizon Z30 is also Qi-enabled, but not the BlackBerry version. If you want wireless charging on a Z30, you'll have to use it on Verizon. The Classic will give you more options here.

Both have USB OTG, the ability to Miracast, and HDMI out capability. But the Z30 has a dedicated HDMI out jack, while the Classic uses a Slimport/usb port. This means that the Z30 can charge and hook up to a TV at the same time. Pair it with bluetooth mouse and keyboard and you have a nice alternative to a laptop or Surface Pro. Dad Does Review Part 2 showed how he uses this feature in hotel rooms while traveling. The Classic should work for this, too, but the Z30 is still king of this particular mode of use.

Cold-weather use--touchscreens can get very iffy in cold weather and usually won't work right through gloves. If you are in a cold climate and need access to your phone even when outside in the winter, the Classic will be the more reliable choice.

And finally, size--the Classic is slightly thicker and slightly heavier, but not by much. The width is identical. The Z30 is taller, though. Stand a Classic in front of a Z30 and the very top of the Classic matches with the top of a Z30's screen, with the Z's bezel and speaker part sticking out above. It isn't a huge difference in size, but the Classic is a tad smaller overall. The Z30's size means that those with small hands will have to change their grip around to use it one-handed. People with larger hands will likely find it very comfortable. Although the Classic has the same width, the ability to navigate with trackpad/Back button/End button makes one-handed use easier than the Z30. Again, personal preference.

I think the vast majority of people who used both would agree with my winner in each category. What there won't be agreement on is which features or categories are most important. I don't watch Netflix on my phone, and have no desire to. So a win in that area means nothing to me. Each person will evaluate these categories differently.

Both are great phones, but if the Classic is just a curiosity and is not really calling you, then a Z30 might be more your cup o' tea. But my choice is the Classic. The bottom line: the Z30 is a fine choice. But if you have a particular love for physical keys or the Classic form factor, you won't be disappointed. I bought one because the form factor is in danger of going extinct, and I don't regret it at all. Loving it.

From a Classic
    Last edited by Xenolock; 05-03-15 at 12:34 PM.
    03-24-15 09:45 AM
    Hi there! So I've just got myself yet another BlackBerry and I'm loving the whole ecosystem.
    I got myself the Z30 after my Passport and Classic (sold my Q10).
    The Z30 has a real different feel to it. It all depends on what you prefer or see yourself using.
    I keep switching between my Blackberrys but the Z30 uses a micro sim as opposed to the nano sim used on the Passport and Classic.
    The Z30 dwells on an already brilliantly implemented keyboard on the original Z10 (by dwell I mean the extra screen real estate!).
    The phone fits well in my large hands at least and I can reach the other side with my thumb stretched over the screen to reach for options or whatsoever with one handed use.
    The Classic can definitely be used with one hand (to and extent as it obviously has the qwerty keyboard)

It all boils down to a physical versus, all touchscreen.

If you want to nitpick then the Z30's side charging port design is something I've grown to dislike and keep trying to get used it.
    If you're the kind that sits with his device plugged in a lot and want to check your phone for messages and other stuff it gets a little unsettling to bare with.
    Also personal preference the finish of the Classic with that rough texture just makes me appreciate it and I love how it just fits so flush even in my really large hands.

I'm quite new to finally posting and replying in the forums, but if there is a personal message system in Crackberry then feel free to ask me anything. I can check out both and tell you.

Cheers
    - Fabian

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 10:25 AM
    If you want to nitpick then the Z30's side charging port design is something I've grown to dislike and keep trying to get used it.

Posted via CB10
    I agree, I prefer the Classic's bottom-mounted USB too.

From a Classic
    03-24-15 10:33 AM
    Got a Z30 and liked it. Missed the physical keyboard but I was use to virtual from all the Android handsets I've owned. It also seemed large.. I know it's not huge but it just felt that way. Fast forward a month after selling the Z30. I buy the Classic. It feels heavier. It feels premium. The keyboard is a step up from what I've used before on the Q10. I love being able to navigate via touch screen or touch pad etc. I've had a lot of phones this year and this has been the best by far!

Ryan

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 01:42 PM
35 12