Hello community, can anyone lay down the side-by-side comparison of Z30 vs. Classic specs and features, similarly like the one below for Passport vs. Classic?

I'm on Z30 right now, it's a great device.... but text editing sucks for me. 2 issues primarily
    • Can't enter emails fast enough using the on-screen keyboard
    • Hard to move the editing cursor to the right position, especially in Android apps (where there's no this nice blue positioning circle)

Both these problems are supposed to be addressed in Classic (HW keyboard + trackpad).
    But I still would love to see the detailed specs with comments from the more knowledgeable members...
    12-21-14 11:48 AM
    The Z30 is the Saturn rocket that went to the moon, and the Classic is the space shuttle that orbited the earth.

Posted via CB10
    menshawy and c_427 like this.
    12-21-14 11:52 AM
    Specs are not the issue.... most BB with maybe early z10 zip along quite well.... ease of use seems to be the OP's issue.... seems the OP needs a hardware keyboard.... sometimes if we were to read our own questions the answer is staring us in the face.....
    12-21-14 11:56 AM
    Does the trackpad work on android apps?

Posted via Q10Bold
    Vinogradov Oleg likes this.
    12-21-14 11:56 AM
    Well, this is exactly the question - is the text editing made easy again (as it's supposed to be) or are there hidden problems?

And I need to understand what I am going to lose (in terms of specs/features) if I switch from Z30 to Classic (besides the larger screen, of course)
    12-21-14 12:00 PM
    I've briefly compared the Z30 to the Classic. I used the Classic for a few hours. I've owned the Z30 for just over a month. I used the Passport for a week or so about a month ago.

The Classic's keyboard is the best phone keyboard I've ever used. Period. I even found it nicer than the Passport keyboard. Much quicker to type because everything is pretty much on the keyboard, without having to touch the screen for certain things like on the Passport.

BB 10.3.1.747 on the Classic is fast. Very fast. Much faster than the Z30. I find the Z30 lags on a lot of things. At first I was skeptical about the 720x720 resolution, but it's fine. On a 3.5" screen, any extra pixels would be wasted, as you wouldn't be able to tell they're there. I find the screen quality better on the Classic. Still no comparison to the Passport tough. I also found the colors of the Classic screen much more realistic. The Z30 and Passport seem a bit too vibrant and over saturated.

The Z30 feels like a toy compared to the Classic. I like the solid quality feel of the classic compared to the plasticky feel of the Z30.

The trackpad makes editing text super easy, quick and precise if you need the cursor on a specific spot on the screen.

Oh, and the camera...I find the speed of the camera MUCH better and more accurate on the Classic. I even found it faster than the Passport's camera, even though the passport technically has a better camera (better lens, more megapixels). Maybe the OS on the Passport I used a month ago was a bit older and not fully updated like on the classic. As for camera quality vs the Z30, can't really say, as seeing images on a small screen isn't accurate.

IMO, if there was a phone a bit larger than the Classic, and almost the size of the Passport, with the Classic keyboard, it would be the ideal phone.
    12-21-14 12:31 PM
    Thanks a ton for the super-detailed overview, najibs!

Based on your experience Classic wins on almost all comparisons.

But I still haven't heard any confirmation if the trackball works within the Android apps, especially in the edit boxes.... And this is pretty important for the overall UX IMO.
    12-21-14 12:48 PM
    I have the Z30 currently as my daily driver and a 9900 as a spare phone. I'm wondering if the Classic would be my ideal phone: the awesomeness of bb10 packaged up on my favorite phone of all time (style wise) the 9900.

Decisions decisions. I may wait about six months and see if the Classic comes down a bit in price prior to pulling the trigger.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 12:49 PM
    [*]Hard to move the editing cursor to the right position, especially in Android apps (where there's no this nice blue positioning circle)

Z30 vs. Classic-img_20141221_190521.png

You mean like this blue cursor in the amazon appstore?

Looks like you need either Passport or Classic

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1016
    12-21-14 01:07 PM
    I had my Classic for two days now sadly gotta say disappointed with this device ,i'm going back to the Z30, just not what I expected it to be, my most important feature was sound as my hearing is not the greatest anymore the classic is sub par at best....my meaning here is for notifications. Way too soft even at total volume up.
    Its a shame too its a really nice looking device feels solid in the hands, it's just a bit smaller than the Z30, and for those of you whom wanted the track pad....its a Minnie pad not full sized like the the old bolds..tool belt is also smaller...Looks like I will sell mine. Kijiji here I come.

My cool running Z30 on 10.3.0.1052
    12-21-14 01:14 PM
    I had my Classic for two days now sadly gotta say disappointed with this device ,i'm going back to the Z30, just not what I expected it to be, my most important feature was sound as my hearing is not the greatest anymore the classic is sub par at best....my meaning here is for notifications. Way too soft even at total volume up.
    Its a shame too its a really nice looking device feels solid in the hands, it's just a bit smaller than the Z30, and for those of you whom wanted the track pad....its a Minnie pad not full sized like the the old bolds..tool belt is also smaller...Looks like I will sell mine. Kijiji here I come.

Not sure where you're located, but I'm in the GTA and would be interested in buying . I've got a Z30 and a 9900 that I need to unload as well!

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 01:26 PM
    Not sure where you're located, but I'm in the GTA and would be interested in buying . I've got a Z30 and a 9900 that I need to unload as well!

Posted via CB10
    I also have the Passport also selling with a nice leather wallet case and a black rubber case. For 650.00 if interested....also have 9900 ,Q5 and Z10 and my old 9780
    Just reactivated my Z30 two hours ago. I'm waiting for a rubber case and mat screen protectors could be a few weeks yet before I sell it, I'm in Etobicoke I'll be selling for 450.00 I paid 580.00 and it's unlocked.

12-21-14 02:16 PM
    I also have the Passport also selling with a nice leather wallet case and a black rubber case. For 650.00 if interested....also have 9900 ,Q5 and Z10 and my old 9780
    Just reactivated my Z30 two hours ago. I'm waiting for a rubber case and mat screen protectors could be a few weeks yet before I sell it, I'm in Etobicoke I'll be selling for 450.00 I paid 580.00 and it's unlocked.

looks like you are selling all your BB...
    12-21-14 02:43 PM

That's a lot of BlackBerry phones! I'm kinda similar with a Z30 and 9900.

$450 is reasonable for the Classic. Perhaps after or somewhat later in the holiday week we can meet up.

I figure I'd need to sell my Z30 for $250 and the 9900 for $70 to make it work for me.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 05:19 PM
    But I still haven't heard any confirmation if the trackball works within the Android apps, especially in the edit boxes.... And this is pretty important for the overall UX IMO.
    Those Android apps that I sideloaded (ebay, Kindle, CalenGoo, some local apps) behave as follows:

operating the app by use of trackpad and menu buttons doesn't really work well in some cases. I will end up using the touch screen for such activities.
    Text editing works rather well. Cursor positioning, text block selection (shift+trackpad) works fine. THen copy and paste does not work like on native BB10 apps. Pressing the menu button does nothing (probably because there are no menus for cut & paste on these apps), so you will have to use the screen popup to perform these actions - like you would do it on the Z30, without a trackpad.
    12-21-14 05:52 PM
    I am using a Z30 and a Passport. I need two phones for the way I work. I am using the Passport more like as if it is a tablet. I use the Z30 more as a phone. They are both terrific. I used to have a 9900 which is similar to the Classic. At this point I am sticking with the Z30 as my main phone.

The specs of the Z30 have some additions in relation to the Classic. It is true the Classic is a terrific phone. If I needed something of this type of format I would not hesitate for a moment.
    02-08-15 02:43 PM