Doesn't justify a $250 price increase.

- The raw material cost of a bigger battery is dirt cheap this is evident in portable battery chargers.
    - The screen is bigger causing more battery juice to be sucked out so what becomes a 30% increase in battery over the Q10 will most likely translate to a 10-15% increase in battery life.
    Ok, so maybe it's not the phone for you. I'm sure there are many that appreciate the price tag that this device came in at. Many that have been waiting for the tool belt not to mention the other new things this device has to offer. The truth is BlackBerry doesn't care about one sale, they are concerned about converting some of the long time legacy users into the BB10 platform. A lot of those users are business customers. They are concerned about offering them something they are familiar with but on a new platform. And maybe...just maybe grabbing a little market share by offering those same things to customers that have jumped ship.

The truth is...the cost to develop a new device/design is not cheap. This is a new device with similar specs to the Q10...the design and the additions are absolutely worth every penny to some. If you are not happy about the price then wait a few month. It won't take long for the price to drop..unless this phone takes off...then it could be a while. Given that....i won't be buying the device...I'm currently Team Passport

"Official International Accountant of the Peevishlicious Crew " via my Canadian Passport!!
    12-13-14 09:16 PM
    Many factors weren't considered in your rant, as a few have stated.

Remember, it's BlackBerry - not exactly a company that can produce on the cheap at the moment.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck, wilber1 and TgeekB like this.
    12-13-14 09:22 PM
    Yes it is, if the specs are the same. That 199 phone was brand new too.
    And what was the price when it was brand new?

Apple....meet Orange.
    gokulesh likes this.
    12-13-14 09:51 PM
    Is it cheaper than the iphone16 gb with no sd card?

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 10:09 PM
  5. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Omg another wawawawawawawawa

Don't like.. don't buy...

Yeah and my Porsche is just a Chevy with a few upgrades...
    Um.. ok if YOU say so....

Posted via CB10
    tryfe likes this.
    12-13-14 10:13 PM
    There is enough R&D that goes into developing and optimizing the OS to work with the tool belt. That alone justifies the cat increase over the Q10.

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    12-13-14 10:28 PM
    Well.......

Wasn't the Q10 like $600 off-contract when it first came out? I think Sprint still tries to sell them for that.

The #1 reason I went with a Z30 and not a Q10 are that I felt like a CLASSIC trackpad was sorely needed on the Q10. My finger would cover 1/4 of the screen when touching anything, meaning that I can't quite see what I'm doing. This is also a reason why I don't like action-style games with tap-screen controls. If you remember, this was one of the points brought up at the Passport launch as a selling point--the fact that the Passport can edit things on-screen while not obscuring them. While I think that the Passport is a bit too chunky for me, I very much appreciate that design consideration. Hell, there are times I wish I had physical call/end buttons and a trackpad on the Z30, even though that would totally go against its design philosophy.

You pay a premium as an early adopter, especially in tech. If you want the brand-new thing, you will get fleeced. Nobody pre-orders a brand-new phone design expecting a good deal. I would like a Classic, but I'd also like to pay at least $50 less. At $350 it would be a no-brainer. If the thing holding you back from the Classic is the price, that will drop after a few months. Now, the Classic 2 could be on its way by then, but the toolbelt functionality will have already been developed. The early adopters of the Classic are basically paying for current and future BB10 toolbelt functionality.

How many times does Chen have to say 'our focus is enterprise'? The Classic is not even an individual consumer-centered phone. Businesses don't want to pay for your phone to play the latest games with 60fps. Whatever gets the job done--reliably--at the lowest price is what they are looking for. The next-gen Classic will be for you personally.

From a Z30
    12-13-14 10:30 PM
    There are many improvements to the Classic over the q10.
    Bigger and better screen.
    Paratek antenna
    Better battery
    Slimport, though that's debatable
    USB OTG
    Should fix the keyboard issues but that remains to be seen.
    And it has a toolbelt which is huge to many people.

If it just had a moderate bump in specs, that would round it out nicely but it seems that it won't.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 10:35 PM
    And what was the price when it was brand new?

Apple....meet Orange.
    You don't get it. Yes, the price was high for the q10 when it was released, but that $199 price was for a NEW phone with the same specs as the classic.
    So, yes, you would be paying $250 for the classic improvements. Which to me are almost worth it.

The LCD screen, the paratek and the larger battery as well as the tool belt are all worth about $200 extra for me. If they had a faster chipset then the exta $250 would be justified

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 10:39 PM
    The Q10 was being sold on the blackberry website recently for $199, it shares almost all the same components of the Classic besides the outward appearance. So now that is it priced at $450 we are essentially paying $250 for;

- slightly bigger sized phone
    - track pad and tool belt (prob costs $2-3 bucks wholesale to add to the phone)
    - slightly different material on the back
    - marketing which makes people stupid and helps them justify paying $250 additional dollars for a track pad. As much as I want to like the Classic I can't justify it at that price point and the fact the track pad doesn't light up and they call it a classic when the best selling phone and most legendary model is the Bold 9900 which has a track pad that lights up yet this one doesn't and it gets the Classic name justification? Bad call Blackberry.

I'm hoping an updated model of this phone gets released and I will only get it when it drops into the $200-300 dollar range because getting it any higher is just plain stupid once you run a pro/con analysis of what the phone is compared to the Q10.
    There are things you can do with a track pad you just can't without.. plus the classic has short cuts, etc. more like classic blackberries. Don't knock it.
    12-13-14 11:07 PM
    There are things you can do with a track pad you just can't without.. plus the classic has short cuts, etc. more like classic blackberries. Don't knock it.
    my q10 has shortcuts as well since 10.3(.1?)
    12-13-14 11:09 PM
    .... So now that is it priced at $450 we are essentially paying $250 for;

- marketing which makes people stupid and helps them justify paying $250 additional dollars ...
    Hmm, this same strategy (removing the trackpad from the equation) worked for Apple. Actually, this is probably a lot cheaper and for a device that was released in a shorter timeframe since the release of the one you are comparing to. Apple releases essentially the same phone a year later and charges probably over $300 more than last year. So maybe in that sense, this $250 isn't all that bad!!
    12-13-14 11:41 PM
    no, the q10 is not a new device its been heavily discounted. secondly they q10 had some major quality control problems including reboots and alot of strange hardware problems. Blackberry is giving people what they want. They asked for the toolbelt and blackberry delivered it. Yes its not for everyone but it must be okay for quite a few as the preorders for north america are already sold through and the release date hasnt even started yet. To compare the q10 and the classic is just not a fair or even smart comparison. Yes you can buy a q10 for 199 but its almost 2 years old and has a smaller screen and shorter battery life. Yes the toolbelt is part of the cost but its not the biggest reason for the extra price over q10. People are always asking for cheaper phones but when they give them those they ask why the specs are so crappy. You cant have it both ways.
    ponpiri likes this.
    12-14-14 12:25 AM
    Here's a fair point. I have the money so it doesn't bother me.

Loved my q10 but the screen size often got in the way. The classic is as wide as my z30 which I use mostly in portrait anyway.

So now I get to go back to my q10 WITH a better build, a bigger screen, a bigger keyboard, toolbelt, etc etc. Please .... take my money. I know people who spend 250 on dinner or after a night in Vegas. My phone is the most used thing I have. 250 is nothing.

My girl just spent 70 bucks on 2 pairs of sweatpants that she will likely wear for a few more months before they end up in the bottom of the drawer. Don't over think these things. If the phone makes you happy, get it.

PS. Haha marketing!

Posted via CB10
    Why must the update be in specs? Why can't the update be in battery, slight screen size, and the tool belt. Why isn't that enough? Why must you result to insulting the new device? Why not either embrace it or don't buy it?
    I like Classic but I am going to get Passport. My ideal device would be a hybrid of Classic and Passport. That is:
    -> Slightly less wide than Passport
    -> 4 row physical keyboard like Classic but touch-enabled like Passport
    -> Toolbelt optional as long as at-least the physical keyboard is touch-enabled
    -> 4+ inch screen

My ideal # 2 device would be:
    -> Same screen size as Z10 but higher resolution, preferably.
    -> Toolbelt on the bottom bezel is a must, like original Torch
    -> Slider keyboard underneath but keyboard should be BETTER quality than Torch. Keyboard should have same quality/feel as Bold/Q10's keyboard.

Anyway, I digress. I hope you realize that despite BIGGER screen-size of Classic, the amount of visible content would be same. That is, both Classic and Q10 have 720x720 resolution. So, you would not see any additional content just because screen is slightly bigger. You'd see same amount of content, just that it'd appear just a tiny bit (almost noticeably) bigger as the pixel size would be bigger.
    12-14-14 12:25 AM
    You can always buy an iPhone 6 for $800.00 and get the same thing as the iPhone 5.
    12-14-14 12:29 AM
    Man, if you don't like it. Don't buy it. Go away. I just sold my passport to get one. Dumb? Maybe. I don't care I like n want what I want n like. To me its a happy medium between the Passport n Q10. I missed the call and end buttons as well.
    ponpiri likes this.
    12-14-14 12:57 AM
    Anyway, I digress. I hope you realize that despite BIGGER screen-size of Classic, the amount of visible content would be same. That is, both Classic and Q10 have 720x720 resolution. So, you would not see any additional content just because screen is slightly bigger. You'd see same amount of content, just that it'd appear just a tiny bit (almost noticeably) bigger as the pixel size would be bigger.
    Do you even know what you're talking about?
    12-14-14 12:57 AM
    I am ready to pay $250. Can anyone other than BlackBerry make my Q10 a classic? I will be much obliged.

Posted via CB10
    Xenolock likes this.
    12-14-14 01:03 AM
    Do you even know what you're talking about?
    Yes, I do. You know, this one liner sarcastic comment doesn't help. If you feel I am wrong, feel free to correct me.
    12-14-14 01:04 AM
    The Q10 was being sold on the blackberry website recently for $199, it shares almost all the same components of the Classic besides the outward appearance. So now that is it priced at $450 we are essentially paying $250 for;

- marketing which makes people stupid and helps them justify paying $250 additional dollars for a track pad. As much as I want to like the Classic I can't justify it at that price point and the fact the track pad doesn't light up and they call it a classic when the best selling phone and most legendary model is the Bold 9900 which has a track pad that lights up yet this one doesn't and it gets the Classic name justification? Bad call Blackberry.

I'm hoping an updated model of this phone gets released and I will only get it when it drops into the $200-300 dollar range because getting it any higher is just plain stupid once you run a pro/con analysis of what the phone is compared to the Q10.
    If all you seem to care about is the specifications of the device then go buy an android device.
    Don't comment about the specs of the device until you see how it truly performs.

Some devices does a Q10 run BB10 very poorly?
    I don't think it does my father has a Q10 and I think it runs extremely well.

Also I'm assuming the Classic will run at least as well as the Z10 or Q10

Verizon Z10 on Golan Telecom....?
    12-14-14 01:11 AM
    Yes, I do. You know, this one liner sarcastic comment doesn't help. If you feel I am wrong, feel free to correct me.
    Z30 and Z10...
    12-14-14 01:11 AM
    I wonder how many of the "2012 hardware is fast enough" people will be whining when the first OS updates comes out that a) doesn't have all features on Classic or b) doesn't support devices with old hardware (Q5/10,Z10/Classic) at all. Blackberry has a history of not supporting certain devices (on BBOS, Tablet OS). Just because all OS10 devices get 10.3.1, that doesn't mean it won't change with future releases...
    12-14-14 01:36 AM
    Z30 and Z10...
    I have Q10 so I can't compare. But if they both have same resolution, go ahead, and open hub in both of them. You should see same # of email messages (lines of content) in both. Provided you keep your display settings same (that is, same font size).

Open BBM list and you'd see same # of contact per full screen.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-14 02:09 AM
    Well.......

Wasn't the Q10 like $600 off-contract when it first came out? I think Sprint still tries to sell them for that.

The #1 reason I went with a Z30 and not a Q10 are that I felt like a CLASSIC trackpad was sorely needed on the Q10. My finger would cover 1/4 of the screen when touching anything, meaning that I can't quite see what I'm doing. This is also a reason why I don't like action-style games with tap-screen controls. If you remember, this was one of the points brought up at the Passport launch as a selling point--the fact that the Passport can edit things on-screen while not obscuring them. While I think that the Passport is a bit too chunky for me, I very much appreciate that design consideration. Hell, there are times I wish I had physical call/end buttons and a trackpad on the Z30, even though that would totally go against its design philosophy.

You pay a premium as an early adopter, especially in tech. If you want the brand-new thing, you will get fleeced. Nobody pre-orders a brand-new phone design expecting a good deal. I would like a Classic, but I'd also like to pay at least $50 less. At $350 it would be a no-brainer. If the thing holding you back from the Classic is the price, that will drop after a few months. Now, the Classic 2 could be on its way by then, but the toolbelt functionality will have already been developed. The early adopters of the Classic are basically paying for current and future BB10 toolbelt functionality.

How many times does Chen have to say 'our focus is enterprise'? The Classic is not even an individual consumer-centered phone. Businesses don't want to pay for your phone to play the latest games with 60fps. Whatever gets the job done--reliably--at the lowest price is what they are looking for. The next-gen Classic will be for you personally.

From a Z30
    Somehow, I don't know why, truely, I hate people using Chen word "our focusis enterprise"

Yes, it's true, but BlackBerry still sell and have a consumer market.

Everytime some people complain about lack of native app, no free video group call, etc etc, the defense always "focus on enterprise"

Do not use that reason UNLESS BlackBerry stop selling their handset on RETAIL.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-14 02:23 AM
    Look, its obvious that BlackBerry is using old hardware on the classic, but so what? Why would you spend more money, having to increase your break even point, buying all new hardware for the phone, when you have a ton of slightly older material that you know will work?

BlackBerries have never been about how many cores or GB of ram are in the phone. If the phone runs smooth and does what it's suppose to do than perfect! Why the price if its "old" hardware? Chen is trying to make money here, and blow past his BEP. Keep up the great work Chen!
    12-14-14 07:54 AM
93 1234