Here I was thinking the Classic was being designed for Enterprise customers that are still using BlackBerry Legacy devices.

Silly me right?

Posted via CB10
    Xenolock likes this.
    12-14-14 08:09 AM
    You don't get it. Yes, the price was high for the q10 when it was released, but that $199 price was for a NEW phone with the same specs as the classic.
    Actually I was responding to the argument about the new vs. not new price.

So, yes, you would be paying $250 for the classic improvements. Which to me are almost worth it.
    For you...... Almost..........

Perhaps wait a while for the price to drop (like the Q10 price did)

The LCD screen, the paratek and the larger battery as well as the tool belt are all worth about $200 extra for me. If they had a faster chipset then the exta $250 would be justified

Posted via CB10
    $50????? Seriously, you're basing this on $50? Gosh, just wait for a sale or something. To be honest....you don't get it. For those people that desperately want the features you just mentioned, they don't care about another $50. This is something you live with every day.
    12-14-14 08:11 AM
    I don't know that we have all the details on the classic yet to have an accurate debate.
    I do have an opinion on why people are preordering this and not buying the $199 q10 though. Blackberry do seem to better at knowing their market. A bigger, better screen along with the belt, killer battery a significantly better camera.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-14 08:30 AM
    Somehow, I don't know why, truely, I hate people using Chen word "our focusis enterprise"

Yes, it's true, but BlackBerry still sell and have a consumer market.

Everytime some people complain about lack of native app, no free video group call, etc etc, the defense always "focus on enterprise"

Do not use that reason UNLESS BlackBerry stop selling their handset on RETAIL.

Posted via CB10
    Why? It's obvious that IS the reason. They don't advertise to consumers. At all. They are barely visible in phone stores. But, if you know they exist and want one...of course you can still buy one retail if you want. That doesn't mean they are focusing on the consumer/sheep market.
    Last edited by redlightblinking; 12-14-14 at 08:49 AM.
    Xenolock likes this.
    12-14-14 08:30 AM
    Spoken like a person who has never used the tool belt or trackpad, OP. For someone who's busy, having all that functionality is worth a lot more than $250.

As much as I like my Passport, I'm tempted by the Classic because I remember how useful the trackpad was for text selection, web browsing and even gaming. The other buttons on the belt are real time savers as well. I'd love to see what they've done with the belt + BB10. But I probably won't be getting the Classic.
    12-14-14 08:33 AM
    You can always buy an iPhone 6 for $800.00 and get the same thing as the iPhone 5.
    Im a BB fan but seriously when people compare it with Apple, i cant stop myself from laughing....
    12-14-14 08:43 AM
    Im a BB fan but seriously when people compare it with Apple, i cant stop myself from laughing....
    When people read posts that compare an Iphone 5 with an Iphone 6 price, and then claim that the post was about a comparison of a BlackBerry to an Iphone..........I can't stop myself from laughing.
    12-14-14 08:48 AM
    OP, you forgot to mention that you're also paying for OS development cost. You think they do that for free??? You live in a fantasy world buddy
    ponpiri and Bluenoser63 like this.
    12-14-14 08:53 AM
    Why? It's obvious that IS the reason. They don't advertise to consumers. At all. They are barely visible in phone stores. But, if you know they exist and want one...of course you can still buy one retail if you want. That doesn't mean they are focusing on the consumer/sheep market.
    As I said, unless blackberry not selling any device on retail market, then people won't complaining. Otherwise They have responsibility to take care of consumer demand as well. Not just simply say "hey, that's not my problem, i'm focusing on enterprise, so live with it". Or you are implying that blackberry do not that kind of responsibility?

Posted via CB10
    Maxxxpower likes this.
    12-14-14 09:08 AM
    Bobshine, you forgot to mention, that when buying a Q10 for 250 less, you're paying the OS development, too. Do you life in a fantasy world, buddy?
    12-14-14 09:08 AM
    As I said, unless blackberry not selling any device on retail market, then people won't complaining. Otherwise They have responsibility to take care of consumer demand as well. Not just simply say "hey, that's not my problem, i'm focusing on enterprise, so live with it". Or you are implying that blackberry don't have that kind of responsibility?

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    12-14-14 09:14 AM
    The Q10 was being sold on the blackberry website recently for $199, it shares almost all the same components of the Classic besides the outward appearance. So now that is it priced at $450 we are essentially paying $250 for;

- slightly bigger sized phone
    - track pad and tool belt (prob costs $2-3 bucks wholesale to add to the phone)
    - slightly different material on the back
    - marketing which makes people stupid and helps them justify paying $250 additional dollars for a track pad. As much as I want to like the Classic I can't justify it at that price point and the fact the track pad doesn't light up and they call it a classic when the best selling phone and most legendary model is the Bold 9900 which has a track pad that lights up yet this one doesn't and it gets the Classic name justification? Bad call Blackberry.

I'm hoping an updated model of this phone gets released and I will only get it when it drops into the $200-300 dollar range because getting it any higher is just plain stupid once you run a pro/con analysis of what the phone is compared to the Q10.
    The most important thing is, and also the nest thing for you is, you don't need to buy it.
    You can keep your q10 and save money.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-14 09:18 AM
    As I said, unless blackberry not selling any device on retail market, then people won't complaining.

Posted via CB10
    Clearly English is not your native language here so I really can't decipher what you're trying to say. Perhaps try again?

Otherwise They have responsibility to take care of consumer demand as well. Not just simply say "hey, that's not my problem, i'm focusing on enterprise, so live with it". Or you are implying that blackberry do not that kind of responsibility?

Posted via CB10
    Do not have WHAT responsibility? Specifically?

The phone is obviously designed to replace the 9900, which is mostly still in use in enterprise. Which part are you having a problem with?
    zmsox likes this.
    12-14-14 09:20 AM
    The most important thing is, and also the nest thing for you is, you don't need to buy it.
    You can keep your q10 and save money.
    Not buying the overpriced Classic doesn't necessarily mean not being allowed to express that one would like to get better specs for the buck.

The phone is obviously designed to replace the 9900, which is mostly still in use in enterprise. Which part are you having a problem with?
    Dude, there seem to be users who would like to replace their Q10s with a more powerful phone that is not as fat as a Passport. Do you get that?
    12-14-14 09:22 AM
    Not buying the overpriced Classic doesn't necessarily mean not being allowed to express that one would like to get better specs for the buck.
    You can do what you want, but nobody is saying that somebody needs to buy the classic. So I think the arguments are..........

You can decide what you want to do. Buy it or leave it.

When the q10 was launched, the phone costed 500eur. Now we have atwo years old phone which costs 200eur and a brand new one which costs 400eur

Posted via CB10
    12-14-14 09:26 AM
    You can do what you want, but nobody is saying that somebody needs to buy the classic. So I think the arguments are..........
    Nobody thought we would have to buy it, so your arguments are.....

You can decide what you want to do. Buy it or leave it.
    Yes I can. And I can complain about the low specs and the high price because you're not the guy who can tell others what they can post or not.

When the q10 was launched, the phone costed 500eur. Now we have atwo years old phone which costs 200eur and a brand new one which costs 400eur
    ...and the brand new one has nearly the same hardware. That's all the OP is expressing. What's your problem with that?
    12-14-14 09:29 AM
    I have no problem. Only asking me why we need this thread?
    I'm paying 349 gbp for a classic. A BlackBerry classic. Not 250 bucks for a toolbelt.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-14 09:37 AM
    When buying a Classic for $450 you pay $250 more than for the Q10 (once). That's 250 bucks for a device that has just a few improvements of which some users think that they are not worth $250. "250 bucks for a toolbelt" is a summary of that situation which is a bit exaggerated but sums up the criticism of certain users in a headline of a thread.
    12-14-14 09:42 AM
    The OP forgot that it took a year's worth of R&D and testing of the software to get this phone to where it is today with software development specifically for the belt and track pad, not to mention all the costs involved in certification (UL, CE, etc) of a phone. Just because BlackBerry lowered the price of the Q10 to $200 to clear it out (which by the way they sold out and haven't been selling in forever because I've been looking every day trying to buy one) doesn't mean that's what you price a brand new phone at. People really need to think before creating ridiculous threads like this because it makes you look very foolish.

When buying a Classic for $450 you pay $250 more than for the Q10 (once). That's 250 bucks for a device that has just a few improvements of which some users think that they are not worth $250. "250 bucks for a toolbelt" is a summary of that situation which is a bit exaggerated but sums up the criticism of certain users in a headline of a thread.
    You're just like the OP, comparing the Q10, a phone that was in limited quantity and BlackBerry was trying to clear out to the Classic, a brand new phone that's just launching. For all we know, BlackBerry wasn't making any money or even losing money clearing them out. Also, where can I buy a new Q10 for $200 today? Other than the few days and very limited quantity that was available, I haven't been able to buy one. Please direct me to a reputable website (with full warranty) that has it in stock for $200.
    raino, ponpiri and Xenolock like this.
    12-14-14 09:44 AM
    On the whole smartphone market there are only two devices that are really 100% comparable to the Classic because of the "classic Blackberry layout". Q10 and Q5. Of course, the new device has to face these comparisons - with regard to costs and specs. That comparison is not ridiculous at all, because a thread like "You're paying $200 extra for a track pad and tool belt" wouldn't change a lot.
    12-14-14 09:48 AM
    One the whole smartphone market there are only two devices that are really 100% comparable to the Classic because of the "classic Blackberry layout". Q10 and Q5. Of course, the new device has to face these comparisons - with regard to costs and specs. That comparison is not ridiculous at all, because a thread like "You're paying $200 extra for a track pad and tool belt" wouldn't change a lot.
    i dont think they are comparable. ppl who refused to get a q5/q10 due to not having a trackpad, still wouldnt get one just because they are cheaper. just like i wouldnt replace my q10 with a classic
    12-14-14 09:53 AM
    I thought the classic was made to replace the old bbos 9900 not q5 or 10.

Posted via CB10
    ponpiri likes this.
    12-14-14 09:58 AM
    @dvarnai: Just because you think that they're not comparable doesn't prevent others from comparing them because they think that they can be compared.

@Alain_A: That doesn't change the fact that some Q10 users would like to replace their devices, too.
    12-14-14 09:59 AM
    Clearly English is not your native language here so I really can't decipher what you're trying to say. Perhaps try again?

Do not have WHAT responsibility? Specifically?

What I'm trying to say is, if blackberry decided to focus on enterprise market, and stop selling to consumer market, then it's fine to use that reason (focusing on enterprise).

But for now, Consumer market still exist in blackberry portfolio, and they still sell their handset on consumer market. They promoting pre-order on consumer market. They even put silly videoa advertisement about that brick game. But why use reason "focusing on enterprise"?

Responsibility to provide good ecosytem for their native app.

I'm complaining because I still use blackberry, I love the hub, I love the OS, I love the handset quality, I love the keypad, and I still want to use it for a long time. And I think, as consumer who buy their handset, have a right to express my hope and demand. But some people just keep saying "focusing on enterprises" as a reason. So annoyed with that reason, as if consumer market does not mean anything for blackberry.

That's what I meant by responsibility and care

Posted via CB10
    12-14-14 10:03 AM
    @dvarnai: Just because you think that they're not comparable doesn't prevent others from comparing them because they think that they can be compared.

@Alain_A: That doesn't change the fact that some Q10 users would like to replace their devices, too.
    you compare the 2 so you can bash blackberry how they overprice it... which they really dont

1. software - you cant just look at the code that got added for the classic, you have to pay for bb10 itself
    2. software updates - the actual code that got added in order to support the new trackpad, hardware buttons, also the modifications made to stock apps to support the trackpad
    3. hardware upgrades - even though they are not a new cpu or memory, theres still a new paratek antenna, slimport, bigger battery, bigger lcd screen (even though same resolution), trackpad, hardware buttons
    4. r&d - you have to set up a new manufacturing line, make a new design, come up with the hardware. its not like lego, you cant just put the components on a motherboard...
    5. marketing - yes, there is marketing. the education of the clerks costs money too

you are just trying to make blackberry look bad, because you have no idea about the costs of a phone. its not just the hardware they are selling, theres a lot more to it. if you produce 1 million phones and only half of them are sold, then you have to put up with the losses and make the best out of it, eg. sell them at a price you are sure you can get rid of all of them to at least make some of the money back ($200 q10)

if you dont want to pay for the software itself, get an android phone. android phones are cheap because they only have to care about the hw. neither iphones, blackberry nor windows phones have high-end specs. the latest iphone has a great cpu, but lacks memory, microsd, huge battery and so on. passport has 3gbs of ram, a cpu comparable to the cpu of the iphone, microsd slot, huge battery, etc but still not the latest SoC you can get (noone cares how many cores really, benchmarks are comparable).
    12-14-14 10:21 AM
93 1234