Some of the automatic default word substitutions aren't visible in the relevant menu - and do really silly and slightly irritating things that I wouldn't expect in a BB. For example, sometimes (but not always) it decides to alter "its" to "it's", and not correctly so - and as there's little I hate more than greengrocers' apostrophes, that is most irksome! Has anybody found a way of removing the rule that does this?

Similarly, in BB OS7 by default typing "hel" would be altered to "he'll" - useful. However on the Classic it is "hell" that is so altered - not clever as that is a legitimate word you might want to use! But again, this one is not one of the visible word substitutions, so while I can add the "hel" rule I can't delete the "hell" one.

Anybody found a way to sort this rather than undoing manually every time it happens?

Thanks very much in advance...!
    02-11-15 03:31 PM
    When was the last time you purged your learned words? I found that I had quite a few issues like that on my Z10 until I installed the last leak with no restore, many of the words that were bugging me have disappeared.
    02-11-15 03:35 PM
    Similarly, in BB OS7 by default typing "hel" would be altered to "he'll" - useful. However on the Classic it is "hell" that is so altered - not clever as that is a legitimate word you might want to use! But again, this one is not one of the visible word substitutions, so while I can add the "hel" rule I can't delete the "hell" one.
    What if you add a word substitution for hell --> hell ? Does that override the default (invisible) hell --> he'll rule?

Alternatively, can you just add the desired words to your "Personal Dictionary"? (Under Spell Check rather than Prediction and Correction)
    02-11-15 03:43 PM
    When was the last time you purged your learned words? I found that I had quite a few issues like that on my Z10 until I installed the last leak with no restore, many of the words that were bugging me have disappeared.
    Thanks for your thoughts. Not sure however that this would be relevant to me, as the phone is so new - only had it for 4 weeks (and been using it seriously for less than that), so I wouldn't have thought it would have learned odd things?

Or have I misunderstood?
    02-11-15 03:51 PM
    What if you add a word substitution for hell --> hell ? Does that override the default (invisible) hell --> he'll rule?

Alternatively, can you just add the desired words to your "Personal Dictionary"? (Under Spell Check rather than Prediction and Correction)
    Thanks - I think that may have worked! (I say "may" because it's hard to tell sometimes, as there seem to be odd contextual variations.)

I think that the "it's/its" thing is more complex: the phone is, I think, trying to be clever and work out which one it's correct to use by context, of its own volition, but it's very hard for a machine to do something like that given the English language and its complexities! (In that sentence, deliberately designed as a test, it got 2 out of the 4 correct and I had to change the other two!)

I suspect I'll just have to keep and eye out for the phone and its (corrected!) foibles...
    Thorsten Heinsight likes this.
    02-11-15 04:00 PM

Thanks - I think that first option may have worked! (I say "may" because it's hard to tell sometimes, as there seem to be odd contextual variations.)

I think that the "it's/its" thing is more complex: the phone is, I think, trying to be clever and work out which one it's correct to use by context, of its own volition, but it's very hard for a machine to do something like that given the English language and its complexities! (In that sentence, deliberately designed as a test, it got 2 out of the 4 correct and I had to change the other two!)

I suspect I'll just have to keep an eye out for the phone and its (corrected!) foibles...

All in all, though, I'd say it's a reasonable pointless feature and I'd happily see its (yay, correct!) demise.
    02-11-15 04:00 PM