Processors have dynamic speed management anyway to be more efficient. Meaning the more power the phone requires, the more faster and battery hungry the processor will be.

As modern laptop processors are not getting any quicker, it's not the speed that matters, it's the efficiency of the processor under the hood. Laptops are much more power hungry than Phones due to the considerable size difference in screens (Screen being the biggest hog)
    What I mean here is some ultra low profile laptops are only running 1.3Ghz Ultra Low Voltage processors so 1.5Ghz in a phone is more than sufficient today, tomorrow and in the foreseeable future.

Just because the Passport as a 2.25Ghz processor doesn't mean it's running at that speed 100% of the time. In fact the majority of the time it's probably running sub 1Ghz for efficiency in every day use. Running an intensive game will ramp up the speed for sure.
    11-26-14 10:06 AM
    Yes, some laptops, like mine with a 1.33 quad core are running on ultra low voltage CPUs.

It's not the 1.5 number that I am concerned about.

If it had a 1.4, but it was more efficient than the z10, I would be fine with that. It's the fact that it isn't an upgrade from the q10, at least that is the rumor.

Posted via CB10
    mfurman likes this.
    11-26-14 10:57 AM
    I think with the classic, it is aimed at bringing those customers back that left with the discontinuation of the toolbelt or rather Trackpad to be more specific. BlackBerry's new radical approach to the smartphone market was too much of a radical change.

I have to be honest not seen the full spec sheet of the classic but it has to be higher than the Bold 9900 series to convince those users to shift to the classic as I don't think offering BB10 will do it alone.

I am guessing it's the same processor as in the Q10, Z10 which is a Qualcomm Dual Core 1.5Ghz MSM8960 with an Adreno graphics chip.

One would hope and with logical thinking it will be a Q10 with the toolbelt/trackpad.
    11-26-14 11:57 AM
    Yes, the rumor is that it's the same as the q10 which is why many are upset. Many of us who bought a z10 when it first came out have had our phones for almost two years. Many of us want to go back to the classic but we want to upgrade specs in the process. We don't want to be on the same specs for 3.5 years.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-14 12:08 PM
    One would hope and with logical thinking it will be a Q10 with the toolbelt/trackpad.
    One would definitely not hope that it comes with a 3 year old SoC that was alreay built in the 2 year old OS10 launch model. Keep in mind that it is USD 450!

We don't want to be on the same specs for 3.5 years.
    Exactly.
    anon(9184750) likes this.
    11-26-14 12:16 PM
    If they can somehow make the os more efficent I don't think it really matters like the new Intel m processor in the yoga pro 3 is running at 1.1 ghz and it's as powerful as most upper level i5 computers

Posted via CB10
    11-26-14 12:25 PM
    Being a Z10 owner I would agree with you both however with it being a 'Classic' have they just gone with a proven chip?. After all with OS 10.3.1 released soon it seems no coincidence that the following all use the MSM8960 chip with various graphics versions and clock speeds:

Q5 = S4 Plus 1.2Ghz (Adreno 225)
    Q10 = S4 Plus 1.5Ghz (Adreno 225)
    Z10 = S4 Plus 1.5Ghz (Adreno 225)
    Z30 = S4 Pro 1.7Ghz (Adreno 320)
    Classic? = S4 Plus? 1.5Ghz? (Adreno 225?)

One could say it has been done for compatibility reasons or just plain laziness? or even to keep costs down considering they may already have these components in the inventory?
    11-26-14 12:27 PM
    Tell that to people who bought the iPhone 3. You cannot future proof something that has a shelf life of 3 years anyway. Do you still use your phone from 5 years ago? Doubtful. Your laptop from 10 years ago? You are over thinking it. There will be new technology that will EOL the phone anyway. With new communications standards and other features, you will never have a future proof phone. Think 5G and 6G.
    People still use macs from 10 years ago

Posted via CB10
    11-26-14 12:27 PM
    I don't understand why you guys think 1.5GHz doesn't matter...on my Z10, it gets sluggish sometimes, especially when I am viewing many pictures on screen or PDF, maybe it's really fast in CB10 app, but not in BBM and other apps.

Posted via CB10
    Finally someone who agrees with me, the z30 was an improvement but I think going forward 2.0 or higher should be the new standard

Posted via CB10
    11-26-14 12:28 PM
    People still use macs from 10 years ago
    But they don't buy them for the price of new Macs.
    mfurman and anon(9184750) like this.
    11-26-14 12:30 PM
    If they can somehow make the os more efficent I don't think it really matters like the new Intel m processor in the yoga pro 3 is running at 1.1 ghz and it's as powerful as most upper level i5 computers
    Z30 SoC will always be noticeably faster than Z10/Q10 SoC because all the devices get the same OS. So it always matters.

p.S. A desktop i5 cpu is way faster than the crappy yoga pro 3 cpu.
    11-26-14 12:37 PM
    Ironically I purchased my laptop when it came out in January 2012 however the Core i3 (1st Gen) Processor in it was released in January 2010.
    Now lets consider the processor was already 2yrs old when it was fitted to a newly released laptop. Fast forward to now and we are only a couple of months off from January 2015. Yes you guessed it the processor itself is 5yrs old nearly.

The laptop hasn't lost speed or efficiency, the only addition I have added to the laptop is an extra 4Gb (8Gb installed) ram and a SSD (256Gb SATAII OCZ)

The slugglishness could be a number of things including OS optimisations and the way it handles resources but never to do with the processor alone.
    11-26-14 12:44 PM
    You still don't get the point.

The laptop may still be fast. But why should you buy a new one with the same specs as the old machine for a lot of money?
    mfurman and anon(9184750) like this.
    11-26-14 12:49 PM
    Well if we go on the basis that the Classic is $450 and you can get a Q10 for less than $300 then I would agree, I would have to see something a little more than a trackpad to justify the money I am spending. In fact if I was going to be critical even with an upgraded processor I still wouldn't do it. I would have to see more specs.
    11-26-14 12:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    But that is getting more out of a 1.1 ghz CPU.

If they put a 1.5 ghz in but It was a new, more efficient CPU, just still clocked at 1.5, I would be fine with that.

It's the rumor that it's only the exact same as the q10.

That would mean that a q10 owner would be paying $450 for a slightly larger, but same res screen. A bit larger battery. USB OTG, paratek antenna and a toolbelt.

For someone that needed all of those, it is compelling, but each of those features are not worth a ton of cash to upgrade by themselves for most peolple, plus most people will not benefit from all of the refinements to the device over the q10.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-14 01:53 PM
    That would mean that a q10 owner would be paying $450 for a slightly larger, but same res screen. A bit larger battery. USB OTG, paratek antenna and a toolbelt.
    minus AMOLED display
    minus user replaceable battery
    minus glass weave back

...and Blackberry Q10 is USD 225 on Amazon!
    11-26-14 02:29 PM
    Ghz isn't everything.
    So much more to a CPU than ghz.

CPU speeds are actually going down somewhat in laptops due to more efficient architecture and for power savings.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, exactly. Power savings.

I would happily pick up the Classic with a 1.5 if, as I'm confident will be the case, it meant fantastic battery performance and very snappy responsiveness.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-14 04:27 PM
    Definitely buying, regardless!
    11-26-14 07:04 PM
    You sir, you're correct. I have a client who has a Q10 and I asked him yesterday if he knew what processor his phone used and he laughed and said who cares. This client is the executive producer for 3 of the biggest tv shows in my country. He loves his Q10 because when not in office, it's his office. Asked if it has ever lagged and he said no. I showed him the videos of the classic and a few pictures and told him he could pre-order it. I also told him that it has the same specs as the Q10 and you know what he said? Who cares, will it bang out my emails and I said yes and he said that he's going home to pre-order one.

I shared this story to say that this is the target market for the Classic, it's for those who want to get things done, not worry about the latest specs.

Posted via CB10
    And this is why I am getting a Classic to replace my trusted 9700 and 9900 to get things done. I work in a bank and travel quite a lot. I need emails, BBM, sms, phone calls. Yes, the browsing experience with 9700/9900 is not great, hence I am carrying iPad for that. I use my iPad for Linkedin too, no games.

Tried Z10 -- cant type correctly on glass, if some of you say you can type faster, good for you, as for me, I cant do it. Tried Q5 -- miss my tool belt. Sure LinkedIn works great etc, but I need my tool belt.

Tried my wife's Galaxy S5 -- fast, many applications that I dont use. Only LinkedIn and MP3 download perhaps. Again, cant type on a glass, and I am irrititated with daily software updates!! No wonder the carriers love Android phones, they consume data like vampires.

Went to the mall to try Passport in Blackberry booth. Played around with the device for half an hour or so. Not my cup of tea, too big, keyboard feels funny to me (for typing that is). Specs are great, sure, but if I cant comfortably use the phone for most activities, then no use.

Then there is the Classic, in a form factor that I like, with fast enough processor to get things done, browsing is great (I assume), LinkedIn will work great, no daily software updates (!!), and I can either sideload MP3 downloader or find one in Amazon (i hope). Everything that I want and need from a phone in one package, without the need to carry Ipad separately. I cant disagree with the comments that Blackberry should have introduced this phone 2 years ago. But we are where we are today, and I am glad Blackberry listens to their most loyal users (the enterprise folks) -- dare I say, the same folks who made Blackberry big and famous back then.

So yes, I am buying the Classic. If they introduce higher specs Classic, I will buy again.
    Last edited by mw888; 11-27-14 at 12:25 AM.
    ponpiri and mfurman like this.
    11-26-14 10:42 PM
    Yes, exactly. Power savings.

I would happily pick up the Classic with a 1.5 if, as I'm confident will be the case, it meant fantastic battery performance and very snappy responsiveness.

Posted via CB10
    But one of my primary reasons for replacing my z10 with a Classic is the improved battery.

My z10 has a horrible battery and it has that 1.5

The point is that it seems to be the same internals as the z10 and the q10.
    If it was a newly designed CPU that was 1.5, then that would be fine.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-14 12:00 AM
    So yes, I am buying the Classic. If they introduce higher specs Classic, I will buy again.
    Me too! I just pre-ordered one, and can't wait to get it. If they issue an upgraded version later, I'll buy that too. The price of Classic is still a lot less than many other non-BB top brand phones, and to me, Classic offers a lot more!
    11-27-14 07:15 AM
    I love the BlackBerry Classic but I prefer if BlackBerry makes an advance BlackBerry Q10. Love my Q10

Posted via CB10
    11-29-14 02:38 AM
    minus AMOLED display
    minus user replaceable battery
    minus glass weave back

...and Blackberry Q10 is USD 225 on Amazon!
    Plus much better LCD screen
    Plus larger battery
    Plus easy to grip rubber back.

All three of those are controversial because not everyone will agree which is better.
    I prefer a removable battery but will welcome the higher capacity.

As for the screen, I hate the lousy, grainy screen on the q10.

When I compare the sharp and bright screen on my z10 to the dim and grainy screen on my wife's q10 I am so glad the Classic will have an LCD.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-14 10:40 AM
    Plus much better LCD screen
    Plus larger battery
    Plus easy to grip rubber back.

All three of those are controversial because not everyone will agree which is better.
    I prefer a removable battery but will welcome the higher capacity.

As for the screen, I hate the lousy, grainy screen on the q10.

When I compare the sharp and bright screen on my z10 to the dim and grainy screen on my wife's q10 I am so glad the Classic will have an LCD.

Posted via CB10
    I never understood people saying the glass weave is slippery. I can hold my Q10 one handed without supporting the bottom of it at a pretty good angle and it'll stick on my hand. But I can see if you don't have dry skin like I do that it can become slippery I guess...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Xenolock likes this.
    11-29-14 11:34 AM
    I just need faster respons when searching from the home screen. More integration in shortcuts.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-14 12:30 PM
161 ... 4567