paying much attention.....to what?
    Um, to what the people concerned about the specs have been saying? ie...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    11-23-14 06:24 PM
    i dont' profess to be an expert on energy consumption tbh, but there was a good discussion in xda forums on this if it helps? Again, its not off the manufacturers site, but i'm sure you can track it down if you need to. Perhaps this is a good starting point if you are interested.

Snapdragon 800 a battery friendly beast? | Google Nexus 5 | XDA Forums

specifically, it compares the s600, which is an s4 pro variant and the s800. The key bit with the power figuires was here:

28nm LP @ 1.7 GHz = 1075mv -- Snapdragon 600

28nm HPM @ 1.7 GHz = 900mv -- Snapdragon 800

You are right. clock a snapdragon 800 at 1.5 and it would be more efficient than an snapdragon 800 at 2.2, but I'm not sure there are any snapdragons available clocked that low? If the passport ships with a CPU clocked that low, i'm not sure where they will get CPU's that speed other than the older s4 pro units.

You are also right about screen technologies, pixel pushing is a real hog on power. Again, the better gpu's that are more efficient in the newer SOC's help out here.

I think you can only speak as you find. The Q10 for me laboured in some circumstances, the z30 did not, The Passport certainly doesn't in my experiences, particularly now on the latest os version, as it seemed to have some unexpected and random lag from time to time on the one that the phone shipped with. If the classic is similar spec to the z30 it will be about 1.7, not 1.5 won't it? If it had the same spec as the z30 it would be a slightly better proposition, again if price was taken into consideration appropriately.
    Well, add on top of that, if it performs functions faster, you get things done faster, which also uses less power...

11-23-14 06:26 PM
    i dont' profess to be an expert on energy consumption tbh, but there was a good discussion in xda forums on this if it helps? Again, its not off the manufacturers site, but i'm sure you can track it down if you need to. Perhaps this is a good starting point if you are interested.

Snapdragon 800 a battery friendly beast? | Google Nexus 5 | XDA Forums

specifically, it compares the s600, which is an s4 pro variant and the s800. The key bit with the power figuires was here:

28nm LP @ 1.7 GHz = 1075mv -- Snapdragon 600

28nm HPM @ 1.7 GHz = 900mv -- Snapdragon 800

You are right. clock a snapdragon 800 at 1.5 and it would be more efficient than an snapdragon 800 at 2.2, but I'm not sure there are any snapdragons available clocked that low? If the passport ships with a CPU clocked that low, i'm not sure where they will get CPU's that speed other than the older s4 pro units.

You are also right about screen technologies, pixel pushing is a real hog on power. Again, the better gpu's that are more efficient in the newer SOC's help out here.

I think you can only speak as you find. The Q10 for me laboured in some circumstances, the z30 did not, The Passport certainly doesn't in my experiences, particularly now on the latest os version, as it seemed to have some unexpected and random lag from time to time on the one that the phone shipped with. If the classic is similar spec to the z30 it will be about 1.7, not 1.5 won't it? If it had the same spec as the z30 it would be a slightly better proposition, again if price was taken into consideration appropriately.
    Here is a more detailed test on the S4 made by anandtech that shows a maximum consumption of 750mw. We don't know wich diference there were between this test and the one you posted, so the conclusion has to be taken with a grain of salt.

By no means I want to state that the S4 would consume less than the 800, but theory would lead me to that conclusion

Slagman makes a fair point aswell, the 800 will acomplish certain task faster so it could lead at less time during peak power consumption wich should be taken in account, but that would have so many variables that's hard to judge since different apps have different demands that can give advantage to each processor.

Se if we assumed that the classic had a snapdragon 800 at 1.5ghz (very very unlikely), it would run need less voltage, and less voltage already means less heat wich that alone means better energy efficiency, but I don't think it would be worth it, the standard speed of the 800 should be very efficient already.

Just saying this to justify my point that lowering the specs, lowering those numbers on the specsheet would result in better battery life, assuming that they have similar hardware technology. If they are that much different, then sure your point is completely valid aswell
    Mr4aces and anon(9184750) like this.
    11-23-14 06:46 PM
    People still don't seem to understand that newer CPU's almost entirely run, not only faster, but more efficiently for a multitude of reasons, mostly covered here. My 500Mhz 386 with 56mb of ram and no video acceleration used more power than my i7 4.7Ghz Dual SLI with 32GB of ram. A lot more actually. That being said, BB10 may run efficiently on low specs, but I haven't seen a BB10 device yet that doesn't get lag at times. App load times between iOS, Android and BB10 are vastly taken by the first to mentioned. BB10 still has quite a way to go until it's really on par. With that said it's still my favorite OS to use and I have no doubt they're moving in the right direction and look forward to the great framework that has been and is being laid down for it.
    11-23-14 09:36 PM
    A 500mhz 386? That is quite the overclocking :-) or a typo :-)

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 09:52 PM
    A 500mhz 386? That is quite the overclocking :-) or a typo :-)

Posted via CB10
    Yah, a 1MHz 386 would have been like a super computer at the time, lol.

Edit: kidding of course, lol.

11-23-14 09:58 PM
    I could pick over every point you've made and this would go on all night, and I have neither the time nor the appetite to. But I will pick up on the only part that matters to me.

I have not called YOU insane, so no need to be advising me to read the TOS thanks very much.
    But isn't that the implication? Obviously some people in your description are sane.....and the others are not. Otherwise, why use that term at all?

I come here to talk about tech, not to drum up as much bad feeling as I can. Frankly, from the way you've gone at it with myself and slagman in this thread, I'd say you are just proving the old saying about the amount of offence taken is directly proportional to the amount of offence sought
    "Gone at it"? My number posts to each of you are directly proportional to the posts that you've "gone at it" back at me. If fact, I mostly responded to the various points you make. I didn't call people who don't think like you sane.

I always have to laugh when people get frustrated with having to defend their words, and so out of frustration accuse the person calling them out as "having too much time on their hands", or "attacking", or "going at it", etc. etc., completely forgetting that it takes 2 to tango.

If however on the off chance you genuinely feel you have been insulted, since that was not my intention I apologise. I have nothing more to say on this subject, so sleep well.
    I accept the apology and I actually do believe you're sorry. Now if you wouldn't mind apologizing to the millions of other people who might be reading this thread that you implied are not sane, that would be nice too.
    11-24-14 08:03 AM
    What's wrong with your Z10?

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1151
    The only issue is the battery calibration and overall battery life. Everything else is just fine.
    11-24-14 08:40 AM
    People still don't seem to understand that newer CPU's almost entirely run, not only faster, but more efficiently for a multitude of reasons, mostly covered here. My 500Mhz 386 with 56mb of ram and no video acceleration used more power than my i7 4.7Ghz Dual SLI with 32GB of ram. A lot more actually. That being said, BB10 may run efficiently on low specs, but I haven't seen a BB10 device yet that doesn't get lag at times. App load times between iOS, Android and BB10 are vastly taken by the first to mentioned. BB10 still has quite a way to go until it's really on par. With that said it's still my favorite OS to use and I have no doubt they're moving in the right direction and look forward to the great framework that has been and is being laid down for it.
    what you say it's true but doesn't apply here, a S4 is the same generation of the 800, both use 28nm manufacturing technology. The next generation to have significant improvements in battery life will be with the Snapdragon 808 and 810 that will have a 20nm manufacturing process
    11-24-14 08:44 AM
    Yah, a 1MHz 386 would have been like a super computer at the time, lol.

Edit: kidding of course, lol.

The one 386 I remember having was 40 MHz and had 4 MB of RAM

Posted via CB10
    11-24-14 08:51 AM
    The one 386 I remember having was 40 MHz and had 4 MB of RAM

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I know, was just exaggerating because it is old compared to what we use today. :-)

11-24-14 09:29 AM
    because its an expression, no more ....... If I may, you appear to over think things. Either that or it was one of those misdirection strategies you mentioned earlier. Needless to say, I will not be apologising to the world at large. Don't push your luck

Frustration? No, just lack of interest. I am able to defend my words should I wish to, I made it very clear before I have niether the time nor the appetite. Don't conclude too much from people having better things to do than bandy words all day long. You have an opinion you are entitled to it. I don't agree. I"m entitled to. That's all thats going on here.

But isn't that the implication? Obviously some people in your description are sane.....and the others are not. Otherwise, why use that term at all?

"Gone at it"? My number posts to each of you are directly proportional to the posts that you've "gone at it" back at me. If fact, I mostly responded to the various points you make. I didn't call people who don't think like you sane.

I always have to laugh when people get frustrated with having to defend their words, and so out of frustration accuse the person calling them out as "having too much time on their hands", or "attacking", or "going at it", etc. etc., completely forgetting that it takes 2 to tango.

I accept the apology and I actually do believe you're sorry. Now if you wouldn't mind apologizing to the millions of other people who might be reading this thread that you implied are not sane, that would be nice too.
    11-24-14 11:05 AM
    Unfortunately, the ones who say that the Classic gets the same SoC as the Q10/Z10 seem to be right:

Classic: Classic - Geekbench Browser
    Q10: Q10 - Geekbench Browser
    Z30: Z30 - Geekbench Browser

If that's true, I won't buy it. Blackberry needs a profitable device divison, but that won't make me pay $450 for a smartphone with a SoC that was already outdated in 2013, when the Z10 arrived.
    11-24-14 12:15 PM
    OMG!! Cry and Cry.! Geezz! You can't have everything. It's. Like asking for a PERFECTphone. Today's technology, u think it matters. BlackBerry got this..

" Initiated from my QNX10 "
    11-24-14 12:20 PM
    I dont't want a perfect phone, I just want a small performance upgrade from Q10 to "the next phone" and a Soc that is slightly less outdated (Z30) than the one of the Q10 (and Classic?)
    Mr4aces likes this.
    11-24-14 12:29 PM
    I've got 10.3.1 loaded on my Q10 which has the 1.5 GHz processor. My device is never sluggish and everything is quick. So in reality, it doesn't even matter if it's 1.5 or higher; the 1.5 is sufficient for this device. The Q10 or Classic are not for playing video games, although even when I did use a couple of games a few times, they were also very quick so I'm not sure what the complaint would be. And for all those upgrading from legacy OSes, they'll be more than happy. I've yet to run into any occurrence where my 1.5 GHz processor has been slow.

Plus, the phone is only $499 ($449 in the US) so what do you expect for that price?
    These are the things that I've been wondering about with the Classic. I have a Q10, and it runs great, but I'm still on the official 10.2.1 OS since I'm waiting for the official 10.3.1 to drop before upgrading. I like to hear that it runs just as smoothly with the new OS as with the older ones. I have an iPhone 5 that I have kept up to date, and on iOS 8 it definitely has issues that it didn't have before the upgrade. I was hoping that the Q10 wasn't going to have similar issues. Thanks for the info, I'm a lot more optimistic about the Classic at this point. I haven't really missed the buttons, but won't say no to having them either. When it's -10 F, it's nice to be able to answer a call without taking your gloves off! At this point my biggest concern is if the keyboard will have the same double typing issues as the Q10's. I'm really hoping they aren't using old stock keyboards from the Q10 in the Classic. Two handsets in a row with that kind of issue may sour me forever on physical keyboards. (As much as I prefer them to typing on glass!)
    Last edited by ypwandrews; 11-24-14 at 02:03 PM. Reason: additional comment
    11-24-14 01:59 PM
    Unfortunately, the ones who say that the Classic gets the same SoC as the Q10/Z10 seem to be right:

Classic: Classic - Geekbench Browser
    Q10: Q10 - Geekbench Browser
    Z30: Z30 - Geekbench Browser

If that's true, I won't buy it. Blackberry needs a profitable device divison, but that won't make me pay $450 for a smartphone with a SoC that was already outdated in 2013, when the Z10 arrived.
    Could have been a prototype with sub-par specs. When the Q10 surfaced on pages like these that you show us, they were prototypes running with half of the ram of the finished product. Processor was also slower, just not going to name anything because I don't have the exact ghz.

Posted via my Classic Passport
    11-24-14 02:17 PM
    So you wouldn't buy it if it has a 1.5 GHz chip but you would if it's 1.7? 200MHz matters that much to you?

Posted via CB10
    11-24-14 11:48 PM
    My Q10 is fast enough for Email/BBM/Calling/Whatsapp, so I don't think about more BHP under my phones hood, because I simply don't need it. Never played a game on it (so as on my iPhone 6 btw), so I couldn't bother less about the processor.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-14 03:06 AM
    So you wouldn't buy it if it has a 1.5 GHz chip but you would if it's 1.7? 200MHz matters that much to you?

Posted via CB10
    The difference between the SoCs of Z10/Q10 and Z30 is not just a 200 Mhz increase in clock speed of the CPU cores. Please inform yourself before posting silly things.
    11-25-14 05:08 AM
    ahhhhrrghhhh man... I was really looking forward to the BB Classic. Being a very very happy Z30 user (though missing the 9900 somewhat), can I really justify spending 429� for essentially going back in the specs department...?
    11-25-14 06:19 AM

Posted via CB10
    Look deeper. The 1.7 chip has different architecture and is attached to a quad-core GPU...

11-25-14 09:15 AM
    Ghz isn't everything.
    So much more to a CPU than ghz.

CPU speeds are actually going down somewhat in laptops due to more efficient architecture and for power savings.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-14 10:45 AM
    It's a valid question (even if it has been asked before).

Personally, no - I wouldn't spend that money today on a Snapdragon S4-equipped device. Then again, the Classic isn't aimed at me to begin with - I didn't spend time with and become reliant upon BB7 devices.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-14 11:04 AM
    I don't understand why you guys think 1.5GHz doesn't matter...on my Z10, it gets sluggish sometimes, especially when I am viewing many pictures on screen or PDF, maybe it's really fast in CB10 app, but not in BBM and other apps.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-14 09:35 AM
161 ... 34567