Another one of these threads? When will you get it that BB10 does not need killer specs for it to run efficiently, also if the specs were higher then the price would be higher and people would just get a Passport instead and yes I'll be getting a classic regardless of the specs because what I want is the physical keyboard and the answer/end keys.

Posted via CB10
    That's no excuse to the use a 3 year old SoC. It's pathetic.
    11-22-14 01:56 PM
    I do want the classic (Bold 9900) keyboard but with the new, lower price of Passport, Classic with its low specs (they may matter in the future) does not make much sense. There is only $100 price difference between these two new Blackberries but everything (with the exception of keyboard) is better in Passport.
    11-22-14 01:59 PM
    I can see it now, 10 years later, fanboys be like: "It's ok that it still has a 1.5GHz dual core CPU! BB10 still runs smooth on it, and that's all that matters!" Mean while the rest of the world's phones have OS's capable of teleporting us around, LOL.

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Evindzer likes this.
    11-22-14 02:31 PM
    Please remember that the Classic specs have not been released as yet. Let's not get too worked up until we see what the final device will be.

Many will read threads such as this and make their minds up about the Classic based on speculation and rumour. I'd hate to see sales sabotaged in this way.
    anon(9184750) likes this.
    11-22-14 03:11 PM
    Please remember that the Classic specs have not been released as yet. Let's not get too worked up until we see what the final device will be.
    There will not be any speculation if Blackberry released specifications. I would understand if they wanted to keep them secret to keep Passports sales as high as possible (assuming that Classic specs come close to Passport, as far as CPU is concerned). Otherwise, we can only assume that they want us to have some hope against hope.
    Evindzer likes this.
    11-22-14 03:20 PM
    1.5Ghz for a phone released end of 2014 start of 2015... is shocking.

classic should of been Quad 1.7 while Passport Octo

still dual core phones in this day n age jesus....
    11-22-14 03:38 PM

Passport should stay quad. Today's "octo-core" processors are just two quad-core processors (one low powered and one high powered one). These ocotocore phones usually don't get good battery life.
    Evindzer and anon(9184750) like this.
    11-22-14 03:57 PM

Yes. And cars need 16 cylinder engines and eight wheels. All that processing would be wasted and get you nothing.
    anon(9184750) likes this.
    11-22-14 03:58 PM
    If they wanted to go cheap why don't they use the same CPU as the Z3?
    11-22-14 04:24 PM
    i decided against the classic a while ago and bought the passport instead precisely because of a rumoured weak spec. i don't care one bit for what low spec the os can run on, i don't want something that can just scrape by. I want something that reflects the money I pay for it, not that reflects how much BB think they can get away with cutting back on to cost optimise their operations. Fair price for fair specs please. BB fanboys/apologists will never convince me its ok to pay 2014 money for a spec that was barely ok in 2012, regardless of what they 'think' the os can run like on it. Q10 lag was appalling. No substitute for a decent bit of power, and the phone needs to be have some head room for the 24 months most contracts run for.
    11-22-14 04:47 PM
    Yes. And cars need 16 cylinder engines and eight wheels. All that processing would be wasted and get you nothing.
    Right.... but we now have 6 x 6 trucks out there now.... lol,

The classic needs 'BREATHING SPACE' it clearly doesn't.
    11-22-14 05:02 PM

Just because they're out there doesn't mean you need them lol

Posted via unlocked PASSPORT on T-MO
    11-22-14 05:14 PM
    i don't care one bit for what low spec the os can run on, i don't want something that can just scrape by.
    What makes you think it can "just scrape by"? Do other BB10 phones just "scrape by"?

I want something that reflects the money I pay for it, not that reflects how much BB think they can get away with cutting back on to cost optimise their operations.
    Funny, that's what people who buy Iphones say too....you know the Iphone....the phone with medium specs?

Optimize their operations? I think you mean "keep the cost down to sell more phones".

Fair price for fair specs please.
    What if they just SAID that it has (insert some random spec number here) and gave you a phone that was awesome and did everything you needed and performed adequately? Would you think you got a fair phone for a fair price if you DIDN'T EVEN KNOW what the actual specs were....just how well it worked? Heck...they could just lie to you if it makes you feel better.

BB fanboys/apologists will never convince me its ok to pay 2014 money for a spec that was barely ok in 2012, regardless of what they 'think' the os can run like on it.
    No one "thinks" anything. They know because it's already been happening for a couple years now. Unless the OS changed....why do the specs need to?

Q10 lag was appalling.
    Lag at what?

No substitute for a decent bit of power, and the phone needs to be have some head room for the 24 months most contracts run for.
    Head room for 24 month contracts? Do the specs get lower over time?
    11-22-14 05:17 PM
    What makes you think it can "just scrape by"? Do other BB10 phones just "scrape by"?

Funny, that's what people who buy Iphones say too....you know the Iphone....the phone with medium specs?

Optimize their operations? I think you mean "keep the cost down to sell more phones".

What if they just SAID that it has (insert some random spec number here) and gave you a phone that was awesome and did everything you needed and performed adequately? Would you think you got a fair phone for a fair price if you DIDN'T EVEN KNOW what the actual specs were....just how well it worked? Heck...they could just lie to you if it makes you feel better.

No one "thinks" anything. They know because it's already been happening for a couple years now. Unless the OS changed....why do the specs need to?

Lag at what?

Head room for 24 month contracts? Do the specs get lower over time?
    Yep, so a current OS running smooth means those specs are good enough for the future. :-)

Evindzer likes this.
    11-22-14 05:30 PM
    I dont think that cllasic will need better cpu, on Q is workin really great, they just need little to optimise bb10. Q10 is more fluid than some top android devices, for games maybe it need more power but BlackBerry is not about games
    Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 05:32 PM

What breathing space does it need? Does the current class of phones lag? Since you can predict the future, what does the Classic need and why?
    11-22-14 05:38 PM
    Yep, so a current OS running smooth means those specs are good enough for the future. :-)

The future..........OF WHAT?

If you open the box of your new phone with great specs (whatever you think they are)....guess what? Tomorrow....is THE FUTURE. Does that mean your phone.....with the same OS.....same specs.....just starts to degrade performance with every tick of the clock? OF COURSE NOT. Or does processor and memory just become less processor and less memory each day you wake up? Uh, yet another no.

So.....why would a phone with the same specs running the same OS as it did a year or even two years ago do it?

If you opened a brand new z10 today, wouldn't it work just like the day someone else opened a new one when they got it 2 year earlier?

Or, by that logic, wouldn't a phone (say.....something called a "Classic") running the SAME OS with the SAME specs.....run exactly the SAME as some other phone (say.....something called the Q10) released sometime before it? If you don't tell anyone those chips are "older"...would they even notice or care?

Or is spec counting just a mad obsession that actually has no direct correlation to actual performance due to the various other factors involved?
    11-22-14 05:40 PM
    The future..........OF WHAT?

If you open the box of your new phone with great specs (whatever you think they are)....guess what? Tomorrow....is THE FUTURE. Does that mean your phone.....with the same OS.....same specs.....just starts to not work as well with every tick of the clock? OF COURSE NOT.

So.....why woud a phone with the same specs running the same OS as it did a year or even two years ago do it?

If you opened a brand new z10 today, wouldn't it work just like the day someone else opened a new one when they got it 2 year earlier?
    Um, anytime after the present is called "the future." I know, it sounds magical, but in fact, it happens all of the time, and it's happening right now! Technology advances, new features and new apps happen. New phones are capable of new things all of the time. Well, unless it's stuck with 2 year-old specs. Then I guess you better be 100% happy with the current features of BB10 because that's all that is guaranteed to run correctly. Just cross your fingers that in 2 years of you owning this phone that some new thing doesn't come out that WOULD make your life or experience better because then there is no guarantee your phone will be capable of it even if the OS wants to evolve to include it.

So let's just hope that doesn't happen. We are happy to live on hopes right? :-)

11-22-14 05:46 PM
    I can see it now, 10 years later, fanboys be like: "It's ok that it still has a 1.5GHz dual core CPU! BB10 still runs smooth on it, and that's all that matters!" Mean while the rest of the world's phones have OS's capable of teleporting us around, LOL.

Just have to reiterate this, because even though I was joking, several have already made this exact statement seriously...

I'm guessing when you guys build PC's you pick hardware that just runs current games well and absolutely nothing more right? Nothing much better can possibly come out in the near future can it?? Great investment there.

Evindzer likes this.
    11-22-14 05:48 PM
    Um, anytime after the present is called "the future."
    Thanks for not only avoiding my question about "the future" but also answering a question I didn't' ask.

I know, it sounds magical, but in fact, it happens all of the time, and it's happening right now!
    Was that sentence purely for dramatic effect?

Technology advances, new features and new apps happen. New phones are capable of new things all of the time. Well, unless it's stuck with 2 year-old specs.
    Ah, yes. Generic references. The best friend of someone with not a single example to illustrate their point. I'm still waiting to hear about this new app that can't run on the q10/Classic....or better yet....an Iphone, because the chips inside weren't made last week.

. Then I guess you better be 100% happy with the current features of BB10 because that's all that is guaranteed to run correctly.
    Great. Because I live in the present. How can I possibly fault a phone for not being able to run some mystery....yet-to-be-invented feature????? Again, you have not one single example.

Just cross your fingers that in 2 years of you owning this phone that some new thing doesn't come out that WOULD make your life or experience better because then there is no guarantee your phone will be capable of it even if the OS wants to evolve to include it.
    You could say that for ANY PHONE running ANY OS with ANY SPECS. What is your POINT????? If something comes out in two years that I want.....then it two years.......I will BUY IT.

So let's just hope that doesn't happen. We are happy to live on hopes right? :-)
    Hopes of what? You keep writing but never make any point.
    11-22-14 05:54 PM
    Just have to reiterate this, because even though I was joking, several have already made this exact statement seriously...

I'm guessing when you guys build PC's you pick hardware that just runs current games well and absolutely nothing more right? Nothing much better can possibly come out in the near future can it?? Great investment there.

Still, pointless sentences. Sometimes people make a machine based on their budget and what they want it to do. No matter what you build....it will eventually be outdated.
    Thunderbuck and Evindzer like this.
    11-22-14 05:58 PM
    Omg and I already pre ordered it... without knowing the definit specs :-O :P

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 06:00 PM
    If specifications do not matter, why does Passport have relative good SoC? Is it Classic not supposed to run the same operating system and applications? We cannot forget that it will also run Android applications.
    11-22-14 06:03 PM
    Omg and I already pre ordered it... without knowing the definit specs :-O :P

Posted via CB10
    Oh, the humanity!

I hope it doesn't come with a Commodore 64 motherboard.
    11-22-14 06:03 PM
    If specifications do not matter, why does Passport have relative good SoC? Is it Classic not supposed to run the same operating system and applications? We cannot forget that it will also run Android applications.
    Who said specs do not matter? The OS has been previously released on devices with known specs. Those specs have a known track record for operation of the OS. It certainly isn't a bad experience. But that doesn't mean that throwing more specs at it (if you have the space and the budget) to make it a premium device won't make the device even snappier. It's all about what gets the job done in a size and price range that people are fine with and about making different devices for different people at different levels.
    Evindzer likes this.
    11-22-14 06:07 PM
161 1234 ...