I've got an old Classic that I recently fired up to see if it still works for streaming audio from TuneIn Radio. If I wipe it, will I be able to set it up again? I'd only need that one app on it.
    08-10-20 07:25 PM
    I've got an old Classic that I recently fired up to see if it still works for streaming audio from TuneIn Radio. If I wipe it, will I be able to set it up again? I'd only need that one app on it.
    Yes, just as long as you remember your password and BBID. After wiping it will ask for both just as it did when you first got it. You may as well make sure that it has the latest OS (if it doesn't already). The autoloader is here: https://mega.nz/file/s9hGBACZ#rI_Bxh...eeBqF5DyH8cb6U . If you have the latest, disregard.
    jagrlover likes this.
    08-10-20 07:29 PM
    One thing to be aware of, depending on how much is on the phone now, and which OS you have, wiping could take an abnormally long time. While running an autoloader - even if it's just the same version, will take, maybe, all of 10 minutes. That includes the extra boot time while it configures the OS after its done loading it.

I remember when doing a wipe on my Z10 in the early days of 10.1 and 10.2, it would take around an hour to do. At some point later in 10.2, that time took longer - closer to 5 hours.

At that point, I quit doing wipes.

People would post on these forums that a wipe would take a day or more sometimes. For some, it would finally finish, and for others, they had to basically pull the battery and force an autoloader in.

I don't know if that was consistent across all devices, or just some, or just happened to certain people. But, I haven't wanted to try a wipe since mid-2014.
    brookie229 and jagrlover like this.
    08-10-20 09:58 PM
    One thing to be aware of, depending on how much is on the phone now, and which OS you have, wiping could take an abnormally long time. While running an autoloader - even if it's just the same version, will take, maybe, all of 10 minutes. That includes the extra boot time while it configures the OS after its done loading it.

I remember when doing a wipe on my Z10 in the early days of 10.1 and 10.2, it would take around an hour to do. At some point later in 10.2, that time took longer - closer to 5 hours.

At that point, I quit doing wipes.

People would post on these forums that a wipe would take a day or more sometimes. For some, it would finally finish, and for others, they had to basically pull the battery and force an autoloader in.

I don't know if that was consistent across all devices, or just some, or just happened to certain people. But, I haven't wanted to try a wipe since mid-2014.
    So before I wiped, there was an update available. I thought it might be a good idea to do that before I took the plunge. Well, now it's been updating for 9 hours. Have I now bricked it?
    Attached Thumbnails Will wiping brick my Classic?-10217.jpg  
    08-11-20 06:40 AM
    Have I now bricked it?
    No - it's really difficult to permanently brick a BB10 device. If it never completes this update, just restart by pressing the power key down for 10-12 seconds. You could then just reload with an autoloader as I described above.
    08-11-20 09:06 AM
    No - it's really difficult to permanently brick a BB10 device. If it never completes this update, just restart by pressing the power key down for 10-12 seconds. You could then just reload with an autoloader as I described above.
    If I restart, I'll have to autoload?
    08-11-20 04:26 PM
    If I restart, I'll have to autoload?
    Not necessarily.
    08-11-20 05:19 PM
    Not necessarily.
    I guess at this point it's worth the gamble.
    08-11-20 05:21 PM
    I guess at this point it's worth the gamble.
    A reboot won't hurt it. Or at least it won't do more that what may already be done.

If it's still stuck, let me know. There may be something else we can try.
    08-11-20 05:23 PM
    A reboot won't hurt it. Or at least it won't do more that what may already be done.

If it's still stuck, let me know. There may be something else we can try.
    So after a few restarts, it comes to life. The problem is that it only lasts for about 30-60 seconds. The phone works for that long then freezes. I can open TuneIn Radio, start a stream and listen. The phone then freezes but the audio keeps playing. The screen is unresponsive as are all buttons. The navigation button activates a cursor, but it doesn't do anything. What now?
    08-13-20 03:12 PM
    So after a few restarts, it comes to life. The problem is that it only lasts for about 30-60 seconds. The phone works for that long then freezes. I can open TuneIn Radio, start a stream and listen. The phone then freezes but the audio keeps playing. The screen is unresponsive as are all buttons. The navigation button activates a cursor, but it doesn't do anything. What now?
    Do a clean install with an autoloader. That's the only thing you have left to try.

Here it is:

https://mega.nz/file/tVgyjDYS#ojnru-...CIkAU1dIybpHK0

Download to PC, unzip it, plug in device, and run the autoloader.
    jagrlover likes this.
    08-13-20 04:35 PM
    Do a clean install with an autoloader. That's the only thing you have left to try.
    That sucks. I've never done that before and I'm not sure it's worth the effort. I'm guessing I need to download some software on my computer?
    08-13-20 04:38 PM
    That sucks. I've never done that before and I'm not sure it's worth the effort. I'm guessing I need to download some software on my computer?
    See the rest of my post I added after you responded.
    jagrlover likes this.
    08-13-20 04:42 PM
    See the rest of my post I added after you responded.
    Yes. It's very easy, much faster than wiping, and basically does the same thing.

The entire system partition is recreated (getting wiped in the process) as if brand new within minutes.
    08-13-20 05:10 PM
    It's a VERY simple thing to do. A monkey on a rock can do this!
    08-13-20 05:59 PM
    It's a VERY simple thing to do. A monkey on a rock can do this!
    No pressure then😜
    brookie229 likes this.
    08-13-20 06:06 PM
    I've recently read about some issues with BlackBerry World. Will I still be able to download TuneIn Radio?
    08-14-20 06:29 AM
    I've recently read about some issues with BlackBerry World. Will I still be able to download TuneIn Radio?
    After doing a clean install... you will have to apply the BlackBerry World fix.
    jagrlover likes this.
    08-14-20 08:13 AM
    After doing a clean install... you will have to apply the BlackBerry World fix.
    Yikes. Way too much work for a spare media player. RIP dear Classic. I was very fond of you way back when.
    08-14-20 08:23 AM
    Yikes. Way too much work for a spare media player. RIP dear Classic. I was very fond of you way back when.
    It might be daunting, and could take some time the first time... especially if your PC isn't seeing your BB10 devcie. But most that have done it once, it's pretty easy.

But yeah for a spare media player... I can see it not being worth the time or effort. Some go through a lot of effort to keep their BlackBerry's in their lives as Clock, Media Player, TV Controls, Book Readers, coasters....
    08-14-20 08:29 AM
    I just had a thought, will the Amazon Appstore still work? I can get TuneIn Radio there.
    08-15-20 10:33 AM
    I just had a thought, will the Amazon Appstore still work? I can get TuneIn Radio there.
    You don't need the Amazon app store, you can get that app from any number of places.

But yes, Amazon AppStore will still work, but I wouldn't recommend signing into it at all - it just takes resources (even when not in use), and has tracking.
    08-15-20 10:45 AM
    Only if you're concerned about their tracking. If you have an Amazon account already, running it on the phone won't change much.

But, yeah, the Amazon App Store still works. It will update itself because it was given a whole new app UI that didn't make it in the last few BB10 OS versions.

What doesn't work anymore is the Amazon Store app that's included. I think it will say there's an update, and then pop up a message about no longer being supported. Then, opens up in the browser instead.
    08-15-20 03:00 PM
    it was given a whole new app UI
    Which, by the way, is kinda nice. Works well - too bad 90% of the apps are crap.
    08-15-20 04:25 PM
    Which, by the way, is kinda nice. Works well - too bad 90% of the apps are crap.
    True, that.
    08-15-20 04:38 PM
26 12