I am on T-Mobile and I want to upgrade my z10. I wonder if the Classic will work with wifi calling though since ATT will have it, it makes sense to build it into the unlocked GSM version of the phone.

As long as that is the case, it won't be a big deal that BlackBerry isn't being sold by t-mobile anymore.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-14 10:09 PM
    Please explain to me, what is the deal with wifi calling? Don't you get unlimited voice anyway? What's the draw of wifi calling?

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    09-23-14 10:22 PM
    Please explain to me, what is the deal with wifi calling? Don't you get unlimited voice anyway? What's the draw of wifi calling?

Usually the issue is with the frequency in the mobile spectrum that T-Mobile uses, it doesn't penetrate buildings as easily as the frequency that other carriers use. So because T-Mobile tended to have more dropped calls inside of buildings, they have become more reliant on being able to switch the mobile call to a wifi signal whenever possible to avoid dropping the call due to poor cellular signal strength.
    09-23-14 10:29 PM
    Usually the issue is with the frequency in the mobile spectrum that T-Mobile uses, it doesn't penetrate buildings as easily as the frequency that other carriers use. So because T-Mobile tended to have more dropped calls inside of buildings, they have become more reliant on being able to switch the mobile call to a wifi signal whenever possible to avoid dropping the call due to poor cellular signal strength.
    Ah, ok, thanks for the explanation. I didn't know that was the case. Well, I knew "in theory" that would be the case, based on things like the frequencies they used compared to a carrier like mine (AT&T) but wasn't sure if how often it happened in the real world...
    09-24-14 12:25 AM
    For those that don't know, these are the benefits of wifi calling :

The most common is what was mentioned above but also I have used mine in places such as hospital basements where no one gets signal.

Another scenario is in places where t-mobile simply doesn't have singal at all, such as rural areas where you may travel.

Then a third option, and this will be good for all carriers is for international travel. Remember, wifi calling allows you to take your T-Mobile phone and go to France for instance and use your phone at your hotel as if it were in the US

Posted via CB10
    LJCaptain likes this.
    09-24-14 10:28 AM
    The best part about wifi calling for me is the call quality...ie HD calls. Unless I am thinking of something different, voice over LTE/wiFi calling launched on VZN last week. Only 4 phones support it at this point though. Hopefully the Classic will have it. It's a game changer.
    09-30-14 01:59 PM
    Hd call have been on T-Mobile for a while now. I have really liked using it but you do have to be on 4g to use it. Sounds so much clearer

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 03:12 PM
    I just got a factory unlocked blackberry Classic and running on T-Mobile. Does anyone know if the Wifi calling function can work on this phone? My BlackBerry 9900 wasn't nearly this advanced and my calls were pristine. I haven't been getting nearly as many calls with the Classic. I'm actually thinking of switching back till I figure this out. (I use my BB for business calls).

Alternatively, are there any Amazon Apps or work arounds for the Classic?
    05-10-15 05:39 AM
    Simple explanation. Where ever you don't have T-mobile signal, the connection will be passed off to your wifi.

05-10-15 05:57 AM
    I just got a factory unlocked blackberry Classic and running on T-Mobile. Does anyone know if the Wifi calling function can work on this phone?
    You'll have to wait until the Classic launches at T-Mo on 13 May. Sometime after that you'll likely see wifi calling enabled on the Classic, assuming the model number you own is the same as what T-Mo releases. You'll also need to run the same OS they enable WFC service on, which currently appears to be 10.3.1.1779.

Patience is your only option for now. If WFC service is important then you'll need a Z10 STL100-3 or Q10 SQN100-5 and run software release 10.2.1.3062.

[CB10 / Q10]
    robert_in_la likes this.
    05-10-15 09:37 AM
    You won't get wifi calling until T-Mobile has support for the Classic.

Regardless of when the Classic goes on sale, the wifi feature might not have it available - which means you'll have to wait until T-Mobile makes that network feature available via an update.
    05-10-15 09:47 AM
    Simple explanation. Where ever you don't have T-mobile signal, the connection will be passed off to your wifi.
    Not true. T-Mobile will have to make that feature available via an update for their network. They might, or they might not have it available right when they start selling the Classic.
    05-10-15 09:49 AM
    I recall a previous situation with android devices and T-Mobile saying it was software AND hardware to make Wi-Fi calling work so this contradicts their previous argument for not making WiFi calling an option on all devices via an app - so hmmmm if they are just selling the Amazon unlocked model which most of us got. Idk seems weird - also I had earlier issues with Visual voicemail working on my device then after a new device and a software update or two things started working right

Sent from my: SM-N910T/SQC100-4 T-Mobile 4G LTE
    05-10-15 10:13 AM
    As currently advertised on T-mo's site, the classic is supposed to come with WFC. Nothing is "embedded", no hardware required for the current IMS, just a model T-Mo supports, and the OS pushed by T-mo. With the Z10 and the Q10, both branded and unbranded models, with the correct OS, will allow WFC. For instance, the Z10 that t-mo sold was the 100-3; that model -- with the correct OS, no matter where it came from -- will allow WFC. I have two Z10s, one branded to T-mo, the other from Shop BBerry; both allow WFC. I am guessing, that if you have a Classic now, and you load the T-mo OS, it will also allow WFC.
    05-10-15 11:28 AM
    Sort of... WFC is a tool, not just a filler. When overseas I use it all the time (even though T-mo overseas rates are cheap) because it's free calling back to the states and getting USA calls. Which allows me to keep my home SIM in the phone so people can reach me at my normal number. Also, whenever I am in a wifi environment for an extended period, I usually switch over to WFC -- even if there's a cell signal -- because it can help preserve battery by keeping the phone from hunting signal in marginal areas. Also, you can send and receive SMS/MMS on WFC, no cell signal needed. Even use it on an airplane. Put the phone in airplane mode, turn on wifi, then WFC and I can make calls if I want, not to mention send SMS/MMS.
    05-10-15 11:42 AM
    In addition to the signal penetration issue you mention, there is also the issue of signal "dead zones." Where I live (and work, since I work at home) I get little or NO T-Mobile signal. If not for Wi Fi calling, I could not receive calls on my T-Mo phone at home. Wi Fi calling is also a big advantage for people traveling internationally. Using wi fi to make a call in London, with no extra charges is very nice. In general, I am very happy with T-Mo's signal coverage, just not where I live now (and where I lived previously, etc.)
    05-10-15 12:10 PM
    I called T-Mobile and they say "we're working on it..." The fact that Blackberry and T-Mobile got back together made me very happy...it is totally shameful though that they didn't include wifi calling on the Classic. I used to get ok cellular radio reception where I live on older blackberries, but now have an iphone that does have wifi calling and I need it. I bought a Classic yesterday and clearly the radio is not what it used to be, so I am stuck with an expensive paper weight until these companies get off their asses and give us an update...oh but the Q10 and the Z10 have it! Does that make any sense at all? T-Mobile and Blackberry, still spinning their wheels, can't get out of their own ways! Lets get going you guys...this is ridiculous.
    06-08-15 04:21 PM
    Probly take forever and a day for T-Mobile to rebuild the wifi calling app-
    I never got it to work on 10.3.0 / 10.3.1 / 10.3.2 on Q10-
    now i'm on q20 / classic running 10.3.2 and wifi calling app is still pushining error-
    06-21-15 09:38 PM
    Probly take forever and a day for T-Mobile to rebuild the wifi calling app-
    I never got it to work on 10.3.0 / 10.3.1 / 10.3.2 on Q10-
    now i'm on q20 / classic running 10.3.2 and wifi calling app is still pushining error-
    The app doesn't provide wifi calling service. It's simply an on/off switch for what's already built into the OS.

Also, T-Mobile doesn't make it. It's made 100% by BlackBerry and branded as a T-Mobile app. Note the app's author:
    Will the classic support wifi calling?-img_20150621_193938.png

[CB10 / Q10]
    06-22-15 02:29 AM
    Spotted yesterday on T-Mobile's software page
    Will the classic support wifi calling?-img_20150621_151422.png

https://support.t-mobile.com/communi...tmoSUPDocTitle

The WiFi Calling app, I was told by both BlackBerry AND T-Mobile is a collaboration effort...

Posted via CB10
    06-22-15 05:05 AM
    The WiFi Calling app, I was told by both BlackBerry AND T-Mobile is a collaboration effort...
    It's written 100% by BlackBerry. If BlackBerry says otherwise it's a PR response to not throw a client under the bus. No surprise there.

Besides, the app has nothing to do with the OS connecting to VoWiFi. An OS on the whitelist can connect to wifi calling without the app installed. The only say T-Mobile has in the app itself is in the graphics and icon. That's it.

When AT&T and VZW adopt VoWiFi, compare the apps then.

[CB10 / Q10]
    CivilDissident likes this.
    06-22-15 06:26 AM
    It's written 100% by BlackBerry. If BlackBerry says otherwise it's a PR response to not throw a client under the bus. No surprise there.

Besides, the app has nothing to do with the OS connecting to VoWiFi. An OS on the whitelist can connect to wifi calling without the app installed. The only say T-Mobile has in the app itself is in the graphics and icon. That's it.

When AT&T and VZW adopt VoWiFi, compare the apps then.

[CB10 / Q10]
    The app shows as made by BlackBerry, but when you click 'contact developer' it takes you T-Mobile's website... When asked on a call that escalated after an executive response, Jim Gray from T-Mobile's President's office told me it's a two party process and that it's something their offices along with BlackBerry's were working on.

I HAD been told by BlackBerry via the Classic's 30 day complimentary BlackBerry support the same thing. I understand what you are saying though and perhaps T-Mobile's lack of understanding lead to their admittance... Just as long as WiFi calling arrives that is all that matters. Looks like it's finally in the process of having that happen! It would be nice if carriers and manufacturers opened lines of communication a bit more and were on the same page. This type of nonsense is unnecessary... Transparency is the key to excellent customer relations, not vague statements and finger-pointing...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by CivilDissident; 06-22-15 at 07:01 AM.
    06-22-15 06:43 AM
    Transparency is the key to excellent customer relations, not vague statements and finger-pointing...
    Full transparency won't happen unless you know a software engineer at BlackBerry. Anyone else will give a canned response and clearly have done so with you. Customers are fed anything to make them happy and move onto the next call, email or smoke signal. Again, no surprise there.

I wish things were different but transparency isn't a possibility with this stuff. Delays, bugs and other setbacks create a difficult balance between reality, what a customer expects, and what a customer should be told. It's an industry feature and not unique to BlackBerry or their carrier clients.

[CB10 / Q10]
    CivilDissident likes this.
    06-22-15 07:00 AM
    T-Mobile totally sucks. The fact that there is no wifi calling on the Classic is plain stupid. I even wrote an email to John Legere, a man I have a lot of respect for but I am losing that respect. He had some lacky from his office call me and stated "we're working on it!" what a cop out...the technology is there, the need is there...just make it happen T-Mobile or you will lose a lot of subscribers to networks that don't need this frickin Band-Aid. And if it's Blackberry who's holding this up...shame on you John Chen.
    06-23-15 07:43 PM
    Full transparency won't happen unless you know a software engineer at BlackBerry. Anyone else will give a canned response and clearly have done so with you. Customers are fed anything to make them happy and move onto the next call, email or smoke signal. Again, no surprise there.
    I spent 16 years as a customer service manager at a major telecom company and the problem isn't intentional at all. The problem is the person answering the phone isn't the one developing new products. And with a company that size, there is no way they would know who's working on WiFi calling or where they are in the process. The reps on the phones don't get trained or educated until the product goes live. So to be honest, they're the last ones you should ask because they're the last to know.

Even if you got to a department like Marketing who would be the ones to let the public know, there's probably one person in that large group that knows what's up and it will be one of many products they support. It won't be high on their radar until it's about to go live but they're the ones who communicate new products to the public.

In a company that size no one software engineer will know it all. They'll be working on just their piece like billing, one working on network, one working on regulation and compliance, one working on customer service, one working on technical support, then you have to tie in the folks at BB etc... each having only their piece while the program manger is the one putting it all together. I mean, what happens if the FBI wants your call records? Or they need to trace a call? They have to be ready with those processes.

Then there is funding, TMO doesn't make additional revenue from this product, so funding won't be a high priority.

Somewhere in that large company there is a single program manager and their boss who is probably the two most certain people out of 25K about where they are and when it will go live. There is always a targeted date that the executives set, but you rarely if ever hit those dates so it's good practice not to make them public. Good luck finding one of the few people that might actually know but the ones who answer the phones don't really know. And those who answer your question are quoting rumors, and stuff they read on the internet. How do I know? Because if they were in the loop working on WiFi going live, they wouldn't spend 8 hours a day answer our calls...

Just food for thought...
    modifier likes this.
    06-23-15 08:20 PM
26 12