My Honda Civic no longer allows me to access text messages from my Classic via bluetooth anymore. Bluetooth functionality still works well with media and phone book/calls though. I've had the same car for 18 months; I had no text message issues with my Bold 9900 and my Classic worked fine for the first month, but now I no longer get notifications. When I select phone/text messages via my cars console, my car displays "phone not compatible with text messages". Again, this used to work just fine, so what happened?

In the past, when I got a text message my console would display, "message received from Bob" with the option to Read/Dismiss/Reply. I loved having my car read my texts out to me, and the reply options were very convenient. Any idea why this function has been removed? I haven't had any service completed with my car, so it must be something to do with Blackberry. Please help. Thanks!!
    04-10-15 02:25 PM
    Although I don't know if it'll help, it might be worth unpairing your phone from your car's stereo and removing it from the list, then re-pairing and see if that does the trick.
    04-10-15 09:53 PM
    Hi. Did you by any chance performed a software upgrade on your classic during this time? In the bluetooth settings of the Classic there is an option to enable or dissable sms message. That is in System Settings - Network and Communication - Bluetooth - (when enabled) Configure. Check if for any reason the sms message option is disabled. Also the settings for Bluetooth can be directly accessed from the top menu in the home screen pressing directly on the bluetooth settings button.

Good luck

Posted via CB10
    04-11-15 08:20 AM
    Hi. Did you by any chance performed a software upgrade on your classic during this time? In the bluetooth settings of the Classic there is an option to enable or dissable sms message. That is in System Settings - Network and Communication - Bluetooth - (when enabled) Configure. Check if for any reason the sms message option is disabled. Also the settings for Bluetooth can be directly accessed from the top menu in the home screen pressing directly on the bluetooth settings button.

Good luck

Posted via CB10
    Ahh, I thought you were onto something, but when I checked bluetooth settings, SMS was already set to on. I'll try the other poster's suggestion...just sucks because I'll have to reprogram my address book for voice dialing. I also forgot to mention, my buddy has the same car and phone and his stopped reading texts too.
    04-11-15 09:53 AM
    Andrew were you able to resolve this issue?
    04-13-15 10:06 AM
    Andrew were you able to resolve this issue?
    I'm sad to say I haven't been able to resolve it. I deleted my phone from my car and deleted my car from my bluetooth settings in my phone and then re-paired them, but it didn't work. I also lost all my speed dial contacts from doing this, and have to re-record my voice dial for my car, which is annoying. I've attached a pic of what my phone looks like when it's paired to my car, and as you can see it appears to have the correct SMS/Email access, but no notifications come. It's driving me nuts. I can't understand why this worked always with my 9900 and then for the first month with my Classic and it just quit for no reason. Does anyone have a solution?
    Why won't my car access my texts via bluetooth anymore?-honda-pairing.png
    04-16-15 02:42 PM
    Battling with this now in my accord, did you ever find a solution?
    08-04-15 09:15 PM
    I have the same problem after a device switch from z10 to Z30. Now my Civic will not get texts. Could this be a Honda problem somehow?

Posted via CB10
    08-23-15 09:47 PM
    Same problem on my car (Mercedes) since yesterday - August 24. Does not read texts on my phone anymore. All of a sudden - out of the blue - I haven't changed a thing.
    08-25-15 02:20 PM
    It shouldn't be a Civic problem...I haven't upgraded software in my Civic, but I have on my classic. This is beyond frustrating. Not only that, but when my phone connects to my car via bluetooth (I still use it for music and GPS audio), texting often freezes on my Classic for about 10 mins. Damn this is annoying. If anyone finds a solution, please post it here.
    08-25-15 07:17 PM
    I have same problem with my Mercedes from Aug. 20
    09-12-15 03:57 AM
    Same problem on my car (Mercedes) since yesterday - August 24. Does not read texts on my phone anymore. All of a sudden - out of the blue - I haven't changed a thing.
    hi what year and modal is your Mercedes as I have a Mercedes and cant read texts as well .....thanks
    09-13-15 02:06 AM
    I have a 2015 VW Passat and it wouldn't read the texts when i first connected to it but I tried it last week and it works now, maybe due to the software update?
    09-13-15 03:34 AM
    I'm also having the same problem with my 2014 Mercedes. I believe this began after my BlackBerry updated to 10.3.2.2474.
    10-11-15 08:44 AM
    As of about a week or so ago, my PRIV stopped getting Text Messages in Vehicle as well (2014 Accord). It worked fine for weeks. In fact I went through two Priv's and they both worked fine from day 1. Now, all of a sudden, I get the dreadded error message about phone not being compatible. I went through all of the steps to unpair and start again. The car is going as far as showing me a new message indicator, but I get the error message when I try to access it. And yes, I've been through all of the settings to allow messaging through bluetooth.
    12-15-15 01:27 PM
    As of about a week or so ago, my PRIV stopped getting Text Messages in Vehicle as well (2014 Accord). It worked fine for weeks. In fact I went through two Priv's and they both worked fine from day 1. Now, all of a sudden, I get the dreadded error message about phone not being compatible. I went through all of the steps to unpair and start again. The car is going as far as showing me a new message indicator, but I get the error message when I try to access it. And yes, I've been through all of the settings to allow messaging through bluetooth.
    Hey Ron, frustrating isn't it?! Sounds exactly like the issues I had. Worked perfect for a month for me, now nothing. I've looked everywhere for a solution, but can't find a thing. If you ever get it fixed, can you please do me a favor and re-post your solution here? Good luck!
    12-15-15 03:09 PM
    It's even more frustrating because I have a Z30 as well which was never officially supposed to work, and didn't. And the one day it just DID. and kept going for over a year until I got my Priv. I got mine through AT&T so I could call them, but really, what good would that do. It's too specific and sporadic of a problem.
    12-15-15 03:32 PM
    I thought I had it! If I waited until the phone connected to the car, then opened the Phonebook in the car, it would ask it I wanted to copy my phone's contacts to the vehicle. After saying yes, I went into Text/SMS and it worked. However, after shutting the car off, I tried the same procedure and got the dreaded error message "device not compatible". And this is my Priv.
    12-17-15 07:52 AM
    I eneded up restoring my phone to factory and of course, it worked perfectly fine. The only possibility I see is that I did not reinstall an app I was using called SMS Backup Plus. It's a utility to back up your SMS/MMS/Call Logs to (in my case) a Gmail account. When I was using it was set to automatically do this every few hours. But that's the only difference between the "old" setup and the new. Now, when I want to do a backup I install it (make sure it's not set to Auto), do the backup, and then uninstall the app again.

So in hindsight, for anyone having trouble with no connectivity to SMS via your the in-vehicle Bluetooth app that reads your Texts, I would suspect that there is a conflict of some sort with an App on your phone, because twice now, a factory reset fixed the problem.
    01-02-16 12:15 PM
    We had this issue with my son's 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Took it in for scheduled service and apparently they updated the system because it suddenly worked. Make sure your car isn't due for an update.
    01-03-16 07:20 PM
    So in hindsight, for anyone having trouble with no connectivity to SMS via your the in-vehicle Bluetooth app that reads your Texts, I would suspect that there is a conflict of some sort with an App on your phone, because twice now, a factory reset fixed the problem.
    Is factory reset relatively easy? I'm just worried I will either lose important things or spend hours reinstalling apps, etc. Any advice from someone who has done factory resets before?
    01-05-16 06:44 AM
    I have a Honda CRV and my texts have never worked in it. So annoying. Has anyone found a solution yet?
    01-05-16 01:01 PM
    A factory reset is relatively simple. If you are using a Gmail account (which on an Andorid, you have to) and are backing up your phone using that account, you won't lose your mail, contacts, calendar, or even apps you downloaded that are associated with that account.

You need to make sure you contacts are in your Gmail account and not stored on the device itself or on a SIM card. If so you have to figure out how to export them and import them into your Gmail account.

there is always a risk of some data loss (like saving your place in a Kindle book you were reading, and things like that) if you don't know what you are doing. You may want to go to your carrier's store and ask for assistance.
    01-06-16 02:38 PM
    Yesterday, mine stopped working again. THEN, I realized I had installed one application from Google play. It was a local TV stations news/weather app and it had the ability (even thought I selected not to use it) to send SMS alerts to me. The bottom line is that during the install, the permission that appeared were "access to your SMS".

After I uninstalled that app and rebooted my phone, my SMS in my 2014 Accord started working again just fine, just like it always had.
    Keep in mind the first time mine stopped working, it was an SMS backup application from Google play. That app, obviously, also needed access to my text messages to back them up to my gmail account.

So in my opinion, the problem appears to be related to apps that want, or have, access to your text messages in some way or another. I haven't completely proven that yet, but I believe this is where the trouble is, and it's why a factory reset works until you start installing, or reinstalling, apps that have access to your SMS and are conflicting with a standard phone build.
    01-06-16 02:43 PM
    So in my opinion, the problem appears to be related to apps that want, or have, access to your text messages in some way or another. I haven't completely proven that yet, but I believe this is where the trouble is, and it's why a factory reset works until you start installing, or reinstalling, apps that have access to your SMS and are conflicting with a standard phone build.
    That actually makes sense, Ron. It's ridiculous, but makes sense. The BB software developers would have designed the software while considering only native BB apps. If there were enough native BB apps, we wouldn't have to resort to google play or apps via Amazon...sigh. I guess I will live with this issue until my Classic contract is up in 12 months.
    01-07-16 08:53 AM
28 12