As you can see in this pic, it's hard to tell the top form the bottom (it's actually upside down in this pic). I imagine they added the large "window" simply as a test orientation indication element. Similarly to why they added the silver chin to the Z30.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-14 03:44 PM
    As you can see in this pic, it's hard to tell the top form the bottom (it's actually upside down in this pic). I imagine they added the large "window" simply as a test orientation indication element. Similarly to why they added the silver chin to the Z30.

Posted via CB10
    I know that's at the bottom of the device. I can see where the camera is. I made those marks and comments on that pic for another thread not related to the big window. I am just curious what that connector is for...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    09-19-14 05:39 PM
    I know that's at the bottom of the device. I can see where the camera is. I made those marks and comments on that pic for another thread not related to the big window. I am just curious what that connector is for...

Yeah,.. I was actually talking about the OP's pic (with the exterior cover), but felt your pic showed how easy it is to confuse the top from the bottom (too me a second to spot the camera+flash).

Posted via CB10
    09-19-14 06:18 PM
    Sometimes the simplest things are the correct answers... perhaps it is just there to protect the camera and flash and add a little style. Although I certainly like some of the ideas in this thread.
    09-19-14 06:36 PM
    Sometimes the simplest things are the correct answers... perhaps it is just there to protect the camera and flash and add a little style. Although I certainly like some of the ideas in this thread.
    That doesn't make business sense. The cost to simply cover the camera lens and flash would be less expensive. But to add more just for aesthetics would add pennies to the cost.

When it comes to products, every inch costs, so they would rather keep the unnecessary items out.

But who knows, this is BlackBerry were talking about.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-14 06:43 PM
    Looking at it again, it could simply be that the final iterations of the classic are now much thinner than what Chen had originally shown. The reduced thickness making it impossible to integrate the camera CCD + optical assembly, which may be from the much thicker existing Q/Z devices to save some cost.

So... Instead of just having the camera and flash sticking out too much (like what the iPhone 6 does), they decided it looked more balance by expanding the "bump out" along the width of the device. Probably better when you put the device down,.. allows it to sit flat without wobbling.

Edit: Just realized this was said wayyy earlier. Wooops.

I like it too. Like because the body is thinner than the camera. Rather than having the camera stick out a little like the new iPhone they bulged the entire top. Keep the phone from moving when on the desk.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by AnimalPak200; 09-24-14 at 12:42 PM.
    09-19-14 07:27 PM
    i agree for the bottom one they look like nfc connector. if im guessing right i think the one in the middle are for wireless charging. and the top one is not clear probably is the micro hdmi again
    09-21-14 12:07 PM
    almost certainly is this I'd say.

I am not confident of this at all, but if we're lucky, the four contacts go to a wireless charging coil... Not likely, but oh well, one can dream...

09-21-14 04:29 PM
    not in the least bit bothered by the window at the back - nice design touch. What scares the hell out of me is the thought of this rubbery back seeing the light of day
    09-21-14 04:30 PM
    i agree for the bottom one they look like nfc connector. if im guessing right i think the one in the middle are for wireless charging. and the top one is not clear probably is the micro hdmi again
    Micro-hdmi would not require a connector like that. And it's the bottom of the device, not the top...

09-21-14 09:12 PM
    almost certainly is this I'd say.
    I really hope so, but we'll see...

09-21-14 09:13 PM
    Oops!

Posted via CB10
    09-22-14 07:16 PM
    Looking at it again, it could simply be that the final iterations of the classic are now much thinner than what Chen had originally shown. The reduced thickness making it impossible to integrate the camera CCD + optical assembly, which may be from the much thicker existing Q/Z devices to save some cost.

So... Instead of just having the camera and flash sticking out too much (like what the iPhone 6 does), they decided it looked more balance by expanding the "bump out" along the width of the device. Probably better when you put the device down,.. allows it to sit flat without wobbling.

Edit: Just realized this was said wayyy earlier. Wooops.

Hahaha Hahahahaha

Video hilariously addressing the protruding iPhone 6 camera.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 12:42 PM
    Who's wishing that "camera strip" at the back is TWO opposite-end cameras for 3D photo-capture?
    09-26-14 10:32 AM
    Who's wishing that "camera strip" at the back is TWO opposite-end cameras for 3D photo-capture?
    Keep wishing, lol

this is a 'MID-RANGE'- phone.
    09-26-14 11:13 AM
40 12