10-18-14 06:20 PM
133 ... 456
tools
    I'm very curious to know what some of the features about bbos or legacy devices that are so critical, that it trumps all the new features and advantages that BB10 offers to the point where people don't want to buy the new phones.

#CB10 #Q10 #Darkhorse
    You're using a 9900 and you have to ask? My first reaction is: "... it's a BlackBerry thing, you wouldn't understand..." lol

Since you asked, how about:

Form factor sized to comfortably fit single handed use
    Tool belt with physical "end" key
    convenience key
    swappable battery
    charging contacts
    ergonomic keyboard

BBOS ram utilization was abysmal and BB10 is superior in that, and several other, ways. BB10 is, step by step, eventually restoring valued functionality abandoned through poorly executed transition. Read for yourself. I have better things to do.

Their transition NEEDED better coordination with better overlap. I don't blame BB for lusting after the touch consumer market. Big number potential there. If the mighty Z30 hasn't attracted glass consumers, what will? IDK. What i DO know is that BB had, and has, a small niche market and THAT market is what might save them. BB is the one that abandoned US and abused our loyalty and you somehow think we owe them some kind of loyalty in response to their stupidity?

Lack of physical "end" key has cost my company BIG $$ and cost bonuses for my entire department. BB has not, yet, produced a BB10 device with physical "end" key. Now that we're finally promised a BB10 device providing THAT important functionality, some Apple troll managed to convince BB that fixed batteries "are the future". Ok. That's their choice. The device i spend my money on is MY choice.
    09-04-14 10:42 AM
    I already am using a bbos device.

You can keep holding onto bbos, it may very well be the "perfect" os for you guys, but it's about as asinine as expecting Microsoft to continue making Windows XP or companies to keep making VHS for you because you find it so perfect.

#CB10 #Q10 #Darkhorse
    If Microsoft wants to keep me out of Apple or Linux, they'll make an os i want.
    09-04-14 11:12 AM
    You're using a 9900 and you have to ask? My first reaction is: "... it's a BlackBerry thing, you wouldn't understand..." lol

Since you asked, how about:

Form factor sized to comfortably fit single handed use
    Tool belt with physical "end" key
    convenience key
    swappable battery
    charging contacts
    ergonomic keyboard

BBOS ram utilization was abysmal and BB10 is superior in that, and several other, ways. BB10 is, step by step, eventually restoring valued functionality abandoned through poorly executed transition. Read for yourself. I have better things to do.

Their transition NEEDED better coordination with better overlap. I don't blame BB for lusting after the touch consumer market. Big number potential there. If the mighty Z30 hasn't attracted glass consumers, what will? IDK. What i DO know is that BB had, and has, a small niche market and THAT market is what might save them. BB is the one that abandoned US and abused our loyalty and you somehow think we owe them some kind of loyalty in response to their stupidity?

Lack of physical "end" key has cost my company BIG $$ and cost bonuses for my entire department. BB has not, yet, produced a BB10 device with physical "end" key. Now that we're finally promised a BB10 device providing THAT important functionality, some Apple troll managed to convince BB that fixed batteries "are the future". Ok. That's their choice. The device i spend my money on is MY choice.
    So wait...blackberry has gone from the biggest phone manufacturer in the world to an almost non existent market share because their end key is now on a piece of glass?

Your company lost bonuses because your phones dont have clicky end keys? What the hell does your company do?

I'm so lost.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-14 03:05 AM
    So wait...blackberry has gone from the biggest phone manufacturer in the world to an almost non existent market share because their end key is now on a piece of glass?

Your company lost bonuses because your phones dont have clicky end keys? What the hell does your company do?

I'm so lost.

Posted via CB10
    Hmm, welcome to the club. If BB weren't "so lost" they'd be somewhere better than single digit market penetration so, go figure. Not sure how far off topic we can get here?? Follow to the final page of Dean's thread in the General forum and you'll see my company's experience with hang up failures on non belt BB10 devices. Not frequent enough for significant concern for most consumers. A significant issue for professionals where client confidentiality is essential, IMO. An issue the various professions have not, to date, adequately recognized or even discussed yet, imo.

Imagine, for example, your attorney fails to hang up his phone and continues discussing confidential aspects of your case in his office while someone is still accidentally listening over the phone? I'm no attorney, i'm an engineer, but i use that example to better clarify my point.

Among MANY things, my corner of my company does custom industrial robotics. FWIW. Irregardless of what my company does, the short answer for what we do is that we hang up our phones. We coordinate, handle orders and subcontract with many clients who frequently compete with each other. These clients must confidently trust our ability to maintain confidentiality. The case relevant to loosing our bonuses involved a client listening to office conversations concerning his conversation that failed to get disconnected. Listening in, he gleaned information concerning his competitor, also bidding on the same project.. A project where non-collusion legalities are in play. That client listened for several minutes and then called me with justifiable confidentiality concerns. Long story short, loosing that client cost our bonuses.

I'm not saying that hang up failures were an every day event. Most consumers would simply laugh it off and go on. That's what we did for TOO long. Throughout the year that we used Z's and Q's, my best recollection is that we experienced about 10, or so, hang up failures. That's 26 devices, dozens of calls per day per device. NOT chronic by most standards but enough for the odds to have caught up with us. We found no way to quantify hang up failures never noticed.

The failures were obviously attributed to operator error. Device configuration contributed to that operator error. That issue, and others, prompted our return to 9930's. We've experienced NO hangup failures in the 6 months since.

There are countless theories surrounding BB's market share. I don't know how you can interpret my comments as placing the full blame for their troubles on lack of physical end key?? My personal opinion, fwiw, is that BB needed MORE glass products, 3 years earlier. Not FEWER keyboard products. Expecting to expand market share by abandoning existing markets makes no sense to me. FWIW. What do i know? Unlike BBRY, my company is still profitable, so... ??

Edit: Q20's physical end key is my trump card to keep management in BlackBerry despite the fixed battery handicap. FWIW.
    Last edited by idssteve; 09-05-14 at 09:11 AM.
    09-05-14 08:48 AM
    Hmm, welcome to the club. If BB weren't "so lost" they'd be somewhere better than single digit market penetration so, go figure. Not sure how far off topic we can get here?? Follow to the final page of Dean's thread in the General forum and you'll see my company's experience with hang up failures on non belt BB10 devices. Not frequent enough for significant concern for most consumers. A significant issue for professionals where client confidentiality is essential, IMO. An issue the various professions have not, to date, adequately recognized or even discussed yet, imo.

Imagine, for example, your attorney fails to hang up his phone and continues discussing confidential aspects of your case in his office while someone is still accidentally listening over the phone? I'm no attorney, i'm an engineer, but i use that example to better clarify my point.

Among MANY things, my corner of my company does custom industrial robotics. FWIW. Irregardless of what my company does, the short answer for what we do is that we hang up our phones. We coordinate, handle orders and subcontract with many clients who frequently compete with each other. These clients must confidently trust our ability to maintain confidentiality. The case relevant to loosing our bonuses involved a client listening to office conversations concerning his conversation that failed to get disconnected. Listening in, he gleaned information concerning his competitor, also bidding on the same project.. A project where non-collusion legalities are in play. That client listened for several minutes and then called me with justifiable confidentiality concerns. Long story short, loosing that client cost our bonuses.

I'm not saying that hang up failures were an every day event. Most consumers would simply laugh it off and go on. That's what we did for TOO long. Throughout the year that we used Z's and Q's, my best recollection is that we experienced about 10, or so, hang up failures. That's 26 devices, dozens of calls per day per device. NOT chronic by most standards but enough for the odds to have caught up with us. We found no way to quantify hang up failures never noticed.

The failures were obviously attributed to operator error. Device configuration contributed to that operator error. That issue, and others, prompted our return to 9930's. We've experienced NO hangup failures in the 6 months since.

There are countless theories surrounding BB's market share. I don't know how you can interpret my comments as placing the full blame for their troubles on lack of physical end key?? My personal opinion, fwiw, is that BB needed MORE glass products, 3 years earlier. Not FEWER keyboard products. Expecting to expand market share by abandoning existing markets makes no sense to me. FWIW. What do i know? Unlike BBRY, my company is still profitable, so... ??

Edit: Q20's physical end key is my trump card to keep management in BlackBerry despite the fixed battery handicap. FWIW.
    Well I guess that's a pretty good answer to my question.

Anyway. I don't see blackberry downfall being all that complex. The future of mobile devices was announced in 2007 with the iPhone (of course with issues and omissions). By the time the iPhone 4 was announced in 2011 (at this point arguably a robust full fledged smartphone) the blackberry flagship model announced at that time was the 9900 ( a nice BlackBerry but not even in the same league as the iPhone at the time. )

Blackberry released its first phone with a webkit browser 4 years AFTER apple did. That's insane. Plus the first real modern smartphone BlackBerry produced didn't come until 2013! That's 6 years later!

The non-rabid BlackBerry fans left. Hated blackberry for their plastic builds, their small screens, their battery pulls, their outdated software. Etc. Never came back.

It's sad they won't give it another chance because a lot of people are really impressed with my z30. But in don't think it's a mystery as to why BlackBerry tanked. Thank god they still make enough off enterprise to keep a live for now.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-14 02:02 PM
    Well I guess that's a pretty good answer to my question.

Anyway. I don't see blackberry downfall being all that complex. The future of mobile devices was announced in 2007 with the iPhone (of course with issues and omissions). By the time the iPhone 4 was announced in 2011 (at this point arguably a robust full fledged smartphone) the blackberry flagship model announced at that time was the 9900 ( a nice BlackBerry but not even in the same league as the iPhone at the time. )

Blackberry released its first phone with a webkit browser 4 years AFTER apple did. That's insane. Plus the first real modern smartphone BlackBerry produced didn't come until 2013! That's 6 years later!

The non-rabid BlackBerry fans left. Hated blackberry for their plastic builds, their small screens, their battery pulls, their outdated software. Etc. Never came back.

It's sad they won't give it another chance because a lot of people are really impressed with my z30. But in don't think it's a mystery as to why BlackBerry tanked. Thank god they still make enough off enterprise to keep a live for now.

Posted via CB10
    100% agreed. They've been behind the curve all along. The "Carrier Barrier" will also be a challenge to overcome. Particularly challenging will be getting carriers to take BB seriously without serious consumer interest. BB does still command disproportionate interest with enterprise markets, however. Enterprise markets can, in turn, command disproportionate interest with carriers. Skillfully exploited, BB's enterprise market interest can start breaking into that "carrier barrier". IMO, anyway. Once carriers start experiencing BB's low effort, low trouble, sales, those carriers might be more inclined to promote BB's consumer offerings to consumers. IMO Might be part of Chen's strategy with the PP and Q20??
    09-05-14 02:59 PM
    Now we know why! Passport is flagship and the classic is, if you're optimistic, a mid range phone!

Posted on CB 10 and typed on the best Keyboard ever
    10-18-14 03:28 PM
    Passport is a more radical design and the flagship phone.

The Classic is sure to be a great phone and the cash cow off BlackBerry models. But it is cut from the same cloth.
    Classic will be all the talk on release. But... Q10>Classic

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 06:20 PM
133 ... 456