Best mobile communication tool I agree is a BlackBerry phone - I can't agree that it's Bold series though.

Multitasking capacity, browser function, toast notifications and the ability to reply without leaving what you are doing, screen share on bbm, location sharing on bbm, the HUB (and everything associated with it), productivity apps, cloud services like Box, Dropbox, HDMI out, USB-OTG, etc

I might have missed a few - but you can't claim the Bold as being the ultimate mobile device for the professional unless all you do is basically email and text (and this is only bolstered by the toolbelt). All the noted features makes the new devices leaps and bounds more useful and more productive for most people in 2014 and beyond.

The Classic will be able to do everything the Bold 9900 can do (aside from some minor things) and more - if the toolbelt is the deciding factor for most, then the Classic will be BlackBerry's crown jewel.

Right now - it's honestly the Q series and Bold 9900 series that's BlackBerry's best offering for communication and mobility for the professional, and which way you lean depends on your needs - but when the Classic is released, there's simply no comparison.

Honestly - I get the toolbelt as a reason for not upgrading, but if the Classic flops, it won't be BlackBerry's fault - they've done a tremendous job with BlackBerry 10 and if legacy users want to stick with their legacy devices because of a few "missing features" it'll be because they can't or don't want to adapt to a new way of getting the job done, which isn't necessarily slower or faster, just different.

I hope for some good results with the release of the Classic.

#CB10 #Q10 #Darkhorse
    Single handed compactness, ergonomic keyboard, swappable battery, charging pads, accessory keys, tool belt, REAL speed dial, themes, playbook interfacing, programmable led, etc... are more than "a few missing features" for some of us. Your mileage obviously varies.

BTW, i use dropbox on my 99 daily.

I also believe the Q20 will be a good seller. They'd sell more, however, if they would have improved and kept the Q10's swappable battery, IMO. Who asked for the fixed battery?? BBRY has ONLY itself to blame for that choice.
    Last edited by idssteve; 08-27-14 at 10:20 PM.
    Mr4aces, Carrtman and DeliFresser like this.
    08-27-14 09:56 PM
    The Classic will be able to do everything the Bold 9900 can do (aside from some minor things) and more - if the toolbelt is the deciding factor for most, then the Classic will be BlackBerry's crown jewel.

Right now - it's honestly the Q series and Bold 9900 series that's BlackBerry's best offering for communication and mobility for the professional, and which way you lean depends on your needs - but when the Classic is released, there's simply no comparison.

Honestly - I get the toolbelt as a reason for not upgrading, but if the Classic flops, it won't be BlackBerry's fault - they've done a tremendous job with BlackBerry 10 and if legacy users want to stick with their legacy devices because of a few "missing features" it'll be because they can't or don't want to adapt to a new way of getting the job done, which isn't necessarily slower or faster, just different.
    I hope for some good results with the release of the Classic.

#CB10 #Q10 #Darkhorse
    It really depends on what the few missing features are, if it's something essential (removable battery, keyboard assigned keys, skins, speed dial, programmable LED Api), then it wont sell well with the legacy crowd.

Why should I have to relearn something so basic as accept/decline phone calls OR recent apps in favor of live tiles ? That doesn't make sense to me so I am not willing to relearn it, period. Battery as always if it's not removable no interest in the phoney.

BB 10 did have enough time to add the legacy features if they are still missing G3 cat 6 or Note 4 are very tempting.

Personally I hope both phones sell well but if they don't BB only has themselves ans some wrong decisions to blame

Sent from my BlackBerry
    08-27-14 11:35 PM
    It's not just a belt, what about the biggest blackberry fan base that still own older devices?
    I don't think Blackberry want to lose their older customers so that's why the made the BB Classic.

Passport = optain new customers,
    Classic = Keep old customers.
    I think what you say is mostly correct but I have read that Blackberry asked their Enterprise clients what they needed and the Classic was the answer (a Bold with BB10) Me I'm still waiting for a slider (big screen, belt, and physical Keyboard.
    Thunderbuck and tatytu like this.
    08-28-14 01:00 AM
    I think what you say is mostly correct but I have read that Blackberry asked their Enterprise clients what they needed and the Classic was the answer (a Bold with BB10) Me I'm still waiting for a slider (big screen, belt, and physical Keyboard.
    Q20 will be a fine device, in its own right but it's hard to see where Q is much like "a Bold with BB10". They just left too much Bold behind to recognize much similarity, IMO. The 20 does have a tool belt but that, in itself, doesn't make it a "Bold". You can fit a steering wheel out of a Prius into a Kenworth but that Kenworth will never be a Prius.

I work in, and with, an intense corporate environment. I spend 24/7 in pretty continuous comunication with corporate clients, colleagues, competitors, management, etc. In most time zones. Other than a few odd posters in these forums, I've NEVER heard ANYone wishing for a fixed battery. If anything, iPhone users more often than not complain about their fixed battery.

Fellow 99 users I encounter daily inevitably express desire for a BB10 Bold. I dearly wish that could've been what we got. The.Q20 will be a fine and successful device but a tool belt, in itself, won't make it a Bold, IMO. I'll likely get one for personal use but fixed batt is a deal breaker for my company.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    08-28-14 01:58 AM
    I haven't really been interested in the Passport and have always had my eye on the Classic. But the more videos I see of the Passport, the better it looks for a typing experience once you have gotten use to the 3 row keyboard.

One of the main reasons I say this is the keyboard on the Passport being touch sensitive. The ability to just swipe backwards on the Passport if you want to delete a word or two. Whereas it you wanted to do that on the Q10 or the Classic then you would have to take your hands off of the keyboard, onto the screen and swipe... Just little things like this.

If this Classic really is targeted at the core business user then it needs to have a bigger battery than any other BlackBerry device.
    Right now nothing is faster for editing more than one word than the 9900 with the menu key. The PassPort might be faster for deleting, but cut and paste like the 9900.

The down side of the PassPort will be its' awkward size and having to use 2 hand to type. With the 9900 it's easy to walk and type at the same time. IdsSteve posted a comment about how he can type, write and do a demonstration all at the same time with the 9900.

I'm liking the PassPort features but it is to big for my pockets and not mobile enough. Push gets to shove I think the Q20 will out type the PassPort.

The Bold is like a 63-67 Corvette Coupe or 67-68 Mustang Coupe true classic's. What if they made these cars with up dated specs and kept the look the same. Nobody would want the exterior different. They would want better suspension, brakes, engine and updated features. All we wanted was a 9900 with a better motor.

So why would BB make a -Q10 with a tool belt and call it a Classic.
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 08-28-14 at 05:30 AM.
    08-28-14 04:49 AM
    It really depends on what the few missing features are, if it's something essential (removable battery, keyboard assigned keys, skins, speed dial, programmable LED Api), then it wont sell well with the legacy crowd.

Why should I have to relearn something so basic as accept/decline phone calls OR recent apps in favor of live tiles ? That doesn't make sense to me so I am not willing to relearn it, period. Battery as always if it's not removable no interest in the phoney.

BB 10 did have enough time to add the legacy features if they are still missing G3 cat 6 or Note 4 are very tempting.

Personally I hope both phones sell well but if they don't BB only has themselves ans some wrong decisions to blame

Sent from my BlackBerry
    I forgot about the programable LED. To many features lost in this Q20 from the 9900.

Btw: Still loving this 9900 for typing in bed at 3am. Don't think it would be as easy with a Passport when you're on your back.
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 08-28-14 at 01:09 PM.
    Carrtman likes this.
    08-28-14 04:56 AM
    The so-called "legacy" crowd is honestly the reason BlackBerry may not make handsets in the future if what is reflected here is true.

I honestly cannot fathom how dogmatic you guys are - if the classic can last for 24 hours do you still NEED to have the option of a removable battery? Last time I checked the 9900's battery life was pretty terrible, even with two batteries at hand.

You NEED to have multiple LED in unlimited combinations for all your contacts?

You guys basically want them to continue developing BBOS - the same OS that basically drove them to their near death while the world moved on.

They built BB10 from scratch - yea, it may not have continuity with os7 and there will be things that are different, but I honestly think the company is screwed if the toolbelt isn't enough.

It's obviously on a macrolevel, a generational issue - there are many corporate users walking around with androids and iphones and they seem to be getting along just fine.

Not saying it's better, not downplaying what you guys find to be useful features from your old phones, what I am saying is just move onto BB10 and focus on all the benefits it gives you, and let go of the missing features.

It's like dating - you have your first love, everything was perfect, you get dumped, and you start to date again, meet someone new - are you going to keep focusing on how the new person doesn't have this or that trait compared to your ex? Or are you going to appreciate them for new qualities that are different from your ex?

One scenario allows you to move on, the other has you being stuck in the past holding onto something that you'll never get back.

They've done everything in their power to stay competitive, the quality of their devices are top notch, the user experience fluid, and aside from the app problem, BB10 to me is better than the rest at mobile communication - but you legacy people are saying bb10 is NOT better than OS7.

#CB10 #Q10 #Darkhorse
    08-28-14 09:42 AM
    I believe the Classic has been delayed so it's launch will be staggered from the passport. I expect it to arrive around the same time that 10.3.1 appears for the in-life devices Z10, Z30 etc.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-14 09:44 AM
    Sorry but has it been 100% CONFIRMED that the Classic will not have a removable battery? I really can't see that being the case.
    08-28-14 09:58 AM
    The so-called "legacy" crowd is honestly the reason BlackBerry may not make handsets in the future if what is reflected here is true.

I honestly cannot fathom how dogmatic you guys are - if the classic can last for 24 hours do you still NEED to have the option of a removable battery? Last time I checked the 9900's battery life was pretty terrible, even with two batteries at hand.

You guys basically want them to continue developing BBOS - the same OS that basically drove them to their near death while the world moved on.

They built BB10 from scratch - yea, it may not have continuity with os7 and there will be things that are different, but I honestly think the company is screwed if the toolbelt isn't enough.

It's obviously on a macrolevel, a generational issue - there are many corporate users walking around with androids and iphones and they seem to be getting along just fine.

Not saying it's better, not downplaying what you guys find to be useful features from your old phones, what I am saying is just move onto BB10 and focus on all the benefits it gives you, and let go of the missing features.

They've done everything in their power to stay competitive, the quality of their devices are top notch, the user experience fluid, and aside from the app problem, BB10 to me is better than the rest at mobile communication - but you legacy people are saying bb10 is NOT better than OS7.

#CB10 #Q10 #Darkhorse
    A non removable battery simply isn't an option even if it lasts a week, period. People didn't ask for something impossible all I wanted was an updated BB 9900. Sorry but if a company expects people to give up features people have grown to love with an upgrade that's bad business.

The problem for me is simple I don't want to learn a third mobile OS and from what I've seen bb 10 is very different. Programmable LED may be a minor problem for some but personally I find it essential because it's nice seeing which group calls in while the phone is muted. I get along with Android very fine because it's highly customizable, tasker and flash LED can do the same thing as bebuzz

One of the reasons why the legacy devices have been so fluid is short cut me and the fonware apps but their homepage states that the API isn't open for macros now? So how does it work on bb 10

If the phone misses essential features why should I move on to it? I'm just a customer and not a shareholder so if a device or OS doesn't satisfy me I'm not upgrading and will look elsewhere.

No offense but the so called legacy crowd told and warned bb about the things they wanted. Look at all the YouTube videos OS 10 doesn't come of fluid, customizable or intuitive to learn thanks to all the gestures
    Mr4aces likes this.
    08-28-14 10:44 AM

It's like dating - you have your first love, everything was perfect, you get dumped, and you start to date again, meet someone new - are you going to keep focusing on how the new person doesn't have this or that trait compared to your ex? Or are you going to appreciate them for new qualities that are different from your ex?

One scenario allows you to move on, the other has you being stuck in the past holding onto something that you'll never get back.

#CB10 #Q10 #Darkhorse
    Here's a thought.

Perhaps some people have different tastes, preferences, and desires than you do. And perhaps BB10 devices have simply failed to appeal to enough people's tastes, preferences, and desires to sell in any significant numbers.

Shocking, I know, but BB10 could be the best mobile platform on the planet (which it may very well be) and still not appeal to most people for a host of reasons.

Blaming its failures on the so-called "legacy people" is, frankly, ridiculous.

I'm one of those "legacy people" who owned a Z30 and a Q10 and eventually ended up with a Bold 9930. I loved BB10 and those phones for many reasons and would recommend them to anyone who is even remotely interested in them.

But for me, personally, the Bold 9930 most closely satisfies my tastes, preferences, and desires for a smartphone. It's not because I'm a luddite, afraid of change, or old (I'm 33). It's because I am an individual, I know what I want, and I don't necessarily care how new or popular it is.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    08-28-14 11:46 AM
    Sorry for getting off the original "Subject" but had to answer this.

That is why ML/RIM failed it did not cater to the 9900 "legacy crowd" RIM tried to shove the Q10 without a tool belt down/up .... If they would have given the 9900 a new motor they would have out sold everybody.

Just think we would have had a 3 and 4 generation 9900 by now. How cool would that be having 2 generations beyond the new Q20 (Classic)?

You apparently don't use your phone for a "work phone" so you have no idea how easy it is to pop a spare battery in when you phone starts beeping or seeing a different LED so you can screen your calls.

To late to go back but what if ML/RIM would have continued the BBOS on the Qwerty phones and developed the BB10 for gesture phones only. If they would have done this I assure you the Qwerty phone would be out selling the gesture phones 3 to 1.

Or like having a 9900 when you are looking for a new phone you want the same things in the old phone.

#CB10 #Q10 #Darkhorse
    NO, ML/RIM did everything wrong you could do wrong because of arrogance! Then they got behind and could not catch up. They tried to shove the BB10 down our throats. The bad thing is John Chen has to fix something that was screwed up 3-4 years ago and there is to much invested in the BB10, which will never the as good as OS7. In fact did we need OS7 with gesturing? All it does is use more RAM I never use the touch screen.

ML/RIM is/was a great mind, he just did not have his head on when he decided to use one OS for two different types of phones. ML/RIM could have just updated the 9900 with the latest specs and camera while it worked on the BB10 for gesture phone. NO he/they rewrote the the OS from scratch which took forever and to this day does not do all the things OS7 does that's ages old.

I "think" the lost of sales from not having a gesture phone 2-3 years ago would not have devastated their market place. That way they would have had more time to perfect the BB10 and not make asses out of themselves. All the promises that were not taken care of is why "carriers" do not like or trust today's BlackBerry. The only reason gesture phones out sold Qwerty phones last quarter is because BlackBerry wrote the BB10 phones/tablet off the books and has had a fire sale to get rid of old inventory. Not because the gesture phones are better.

Say what you want, but it bold down to the fact there are to many Qwerty users holding up BlackBerry from going under.
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 08-28-14 at 03:05 PM.
    idssteve and ViaCassian like this.
    08-28-14 12:54 PM
    Sorry but has it been 100% CONFIRMED that the Classic will not have a removable battery? I really can't see that being the case.
    No 100% confirmation i'm aware of. No 100% on anything till us mere mortals get one in hand. Photographic and circumstantial evidence is VERY compelling, IMO. Unfortunately. My company is hoping for the best while planning for the worst. Worst case, in my case, will be an awful Casio.

I'd consider fixed batt 90% certain but that's just an opinion, fwiw. Sorry if i sounded like i had some kind of inside info. I too often get too used to "break room" conversation and forget forums aren't already part of the "break room consensus". Something i need to work on.
    08-28-14 02:53 PM
    What amazes me is how much money that has been flush down the drain. The more and more I think about how much money ML/RIM has wasted over the years under RIM. I don't know if John Chen can undue the years of poor decisions in a short time frame. Looks like at one more year.

I posted a thread in General Discussions:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general-blackberry-discussion-f2/after-being-forum-since-april-amazes-me-how-much-money-rim-wasted-955505/#post10772938
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 08-28-14 at 03:37 PM.
    08-28-14 03:08 PM
    What amazes me is how much money that has been flush down the drain. The more and more I think about how much money ML/RIM has wasted over the years under RIM. I don't know if John Chen can undue the years of poor decisions in a short time frame. Looks like at one more year.
    I agree, it's quite hard to believe it wouldn't have been cheaper to simply upgrade 9900 guts and OS.

Q20 should be a successful device for it's target market. Who ever that is. I'm just not convinced that target is truly intended to be legacy users. If legacy is the target, they didn't seem to include my company in their definition of legacy. That doesn't make it a bad device. Just one that my company can't use. But then my department only accounts for a piddly 26 device sales. Assuming BBRY really did their market research, the Q20 should do fine.
    08-28-14 03:50 PM
    Hello Guys,
    Sorry got so far off the subject matter. Moved it to a new thread.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...wasted-955505/
    08-28-14 03:53 PM
    The vast and overwhelming majority of smartphone users in the world and the changes in their usage patterns in the last 5 years is what prompted the need for RIM to bring us bb10.

The OS was designed to meet the new paradigm in smartphone OS's that were becoming dominant - which is why they introduced qwerty phones without the belt, because 99% of the world's users seemed to get on fine with full touch phones.

BlackBerry won't fail as a company, but they're handset days may very well be done.

Unless they decide to actually go back and restart development of os7 and continue with the bold 9900 - which will work until the current generation of legacy users die off, because that's ALL they have. There's zero chance for growth - just keeping their stagnant user base happy basically.

If BlackBerry were to halt the legacy devices all together and you had no choice but to switch, I wonder what legacy users would switch to - android, iOS, or bb10?

And you know what - it is their stagnant legacy user base that's going to kill their handset division.

As valiant of an effort they have given the slabs with the Z30 and Z10, the current generation of slab users demand things (consumption > communication) that other platforms do simply do better.

For the people who wanted a modern smartphone experience while still able to emphasize communication, they have their qwerty lines - specifically targeted for legacy users to upgrade to. But it failed - so they're bringing the classic because that's what users asked for - the toolbelt.

I obviously don't know, as the cb community is only a small sample, but if the majority of legacy users actually want an updated bold with an updated OS7, then the toolbelt on a bb10 device will flop because its definitely not intended for new users.

Oh and newfangled - I don't expect everyone to have the same uses or needs that I have. What I do expect is for BlackBerry users, when faced with the prospect of having to move onto a new platform because the old one is being abandoned, to move onto bb10 instead of clawing and fighting to force BlackBerry to keep development of a phone and OS that was clearly going nowhere.

Anyone who can't see that bb10 is the future, regardless of how comfortable you are with OS7 or how much you might think it is better - is stagnant.

#CB10 #Q10 #Darkhorse
    09-03-14 10:29 PM
    Well said...

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 10:46 PM
    It won't be a big deal for me if BlackBerry no longer makes handsets or sells to enterprise only - although it will suck, but I can use androids, iOS, and even Windows phone if i have to.

BB10 is the closest thing to what BlackBerry users could ever want in a smartphone in 2014 - and if the 2000-2011 people think it's less efficient or not as good as OS7, good luck with android and iOS when BlackBerry announces the closing of their handset division.

#CB10 #Q10 #Darkhorse
    09-03-14 10:50 PM
    Oh and newfangled - I don't expect everyone to have the same uses or needs that I have. What I do expect is for BlackBerry users, when faced with the prospect of having to move onto a new platform because the old one is being abandoned, to move onto bb10 instead of clawing and fighting to force BlackBerry to keep development of a phone and OS that was clearly going nowhere.

Anyone who can't see that bb10 is the future, regardless of how comfortable you are with OS7 or how much you might think it is better - is stagnant.
    I don't understand why people are so bent out of shape over the fact that there are people out there who are still perfectly happy with their legacy BlackBerry devices.

Of course BB10 is the future of BlackBerry. And I like it very much. I enjoyed my Z30 and Q10 for many reasons. It's not that I'm stagnant. It's that the Bold 9930 has what I want, and it still works.

The day will come when I will return to BB10. Don't worry.

But really - and in the nicest possible way I can convey this - I don't care what you think about me or other legacy BB owners. I really don't. If I cared what others thought about the smartphone I use, I'd have an iPhone or Android.

Typed with dazzling speed and accuracy on my BlackBerry Bold 9930
    09-03-14 11:41 PM

#CB10 #Q10 #Darkhorse
    LOL - that is too funny. You are basically blaming the OS7 holdouts for BB's failure.

How about this - make a new BlackBerry that has the granular customization of the old Berries (you know, what makes a Blackberry a BlackBerry). Oh wait they didn't.

The Classic, even with 10.4 or whatever it'll have when it comes out, is either going to be a massive success or a total flop - people are either going to love it or hate it. And they won't hate it just because it has BB10 on it, they will hate it because BB won't put in functionality that I can get in a old BB curve, for the love of Pete.

Go use a BBOS device if you can stand to be stagnant for a while and you'll know what I mean.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-04-14 08:05 AM
    It won't be a big deal for me if BlackBerry no longer makes handsets or sells to enterprise only - although it will suck, but I can use androids, iOS, and even Windows phone if i have to.

BB10 is the closest thing to what BlackBerry users could ever want in a smartphone in 2014 - and if the 2000-2011 people think it's less efficient or not as good as OS7, good luck with android and iOS when BlackBerry announces the closing of their handset division.

#CB10 #Q10 #Darkhorse
    God you are annoying if you can't understand that people love their bbos that's your problem.but blaming people for the failures off BB is ridiculous. If a company doesn't provide the things I want or change direction that's their own fault.

Don't tell me or others what they should or shouldn't want
    09-04-14 09:28 AM
    Newfangled, I'm currently using a 9900 as my daily driver (except when using cb forums) - I can understand CLEARLY why legacy users are perfectly happy with their old phones.

That's not my point - my point is, if the company is moving forward with a new OS (and moving away from bbos), then why are legacy users resisting the transition?

I'm sure there are many people who were perfectly fine with VHS and continue to use it to this day - i'm sure they can bring up valid reasons for why it suits them better.

You know something - there are many people who have been using iPhones and Android phones for a long time, and I've heard them say "oh I can do so and so more efficiently on my phone, BlackBerry is so non-intuitive" etc

I'm very curious to know what some of the features about bbos or legacy devices that are so critical, that it trumps all the new features and advantages that BB10 offers to the point where people don't want to buy the new phones.

I'll bet you it has more to do with just being used to how things worked than a valid reason. If the argument can be made that android or iOS can be better than BlackBerry for business, which there are people who feel so, then we're just going to go in circles - it comes down to making the phone and OS work for you, and if BlackBerry is moving on, why are you trying to hold them back.

Let me predict the future reception of the classic - "it's too big", "it'll last me 48 hours on a single charge but it doesn't have a removable battery - deal breaker", "it doesn't do so and so like my bold 9900", "the materials aren't as nice" bla bla bla.

#CB10 #Q10 #Darkhorse
    09-04-14 09:59 AM
    LOL - that is too funny. You are basically blaming the OS7 holdouts for BB's failure.

How about this - make a new BlackBerry that has the granular customization of the old Berries (you know, what makes a Blackberry a BlackBerry). Oh wait they didn't.

The Classic, even with 10.4 or whatever it'll have when it comes out, is either going to be a massive success or a total flop - people are either going to love it or hate it. And they won't hate it just because it has BB10 on it, they will hate it because BB won't put in functionality that I can get in a old BB curve, for the love of Pete.

Go use a BBOS device if you can stand to be stagnant for a while and you'll know what I mean.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    I already am using a bbos device.

You can keep holding onto bbos, it may very well be the "perfect" os for you guys, but it's about as asinine as expecting Microsoft to continue making Windows XP or companies to keep making VHS for you because you find it so perfect.

#CB10 #Q10 #Darkhorse
    09-04-14 10:04 AM
    I already am using a bbos device.

You can keep holding onto bbos, it may very well be the "perfect" os for you guys, but it's about as asinine as expecting Microsoft to continue making Windows XP or companies to keep making VHS for you because you find it so perfect.

#CB10 #Q10 #Darkhorse
    Why is it assassin? I'm not expecting anything from BB they can do whatever they want but so will I with my money and it's not like that aren't alternatives.

For me it's between the n4, classic and the g3 cat 6
    09-04-14 10:14 AM
133 ... 3456